Texans hire Nick Caserio as GM

Drained

8 hours ago, Kael said:

They could become a juggernaut. And I would still feel bad.

Because a guy like Easterby won, and that success was accidental.

You captured my entire conundrum here. At the end of the day, Easterby is too tied to this organization for me - celebrating the Texans is celebrating him at this point, and I can't stomach that.

@Woz - I have my own Bruce Allen. Pray for me, because I might go to jail for driving my buddy's truck into his house.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ET80 said:

You captured my entire conundrum here. At the end of the day, Easterby is too tied to this organization for me - celebrating the Texans is celebrating him at this point, and I can't stomach that.

@Woz - I have my own Bruce Allen. Pray for me, because I might go to jail for driving my buddy's truck into his house.

It goes worse than Bruce Allen.  We've got Daniel Snyder.  Who gave full control to Ron Rivera, and now wants to have Rivera hire a GM to help with the football side.  So Ron wants to hire someone like Mayhew or Hurney, who won't be a threat to his job, while reports are that Rick Smith is in consideration.  The same Rick Smith who also interviewed with Snyder last December for full control of the organization.  

And then you see it comes full circle when we go back to 2008 and hired Jim Zorn as offensive coordinator before we had a head coach.  No one wanted to work in that situation, so Zorn became the head coach.  Oh, and we've got the front office version of Sean McVay in Kyle Smith, who is likely going to walk instead of being named the GM, who many think deserves the job.  

The lowest common denominator is Snyder.  Allen was just a symptom of the disease.  

Just now, naptownskinsfan said:

It goes worse than Bruce Allen.  We've got Daniel Snyder. 

Yeah, I think we're slowly finding out that Cal McNair is in that Snyder category of horrible owner...

There's only a short amount of time to judge what he's done, but it's all been horrible to this point. 

3 minutes ago, naptownskinsfan said:

So Ron wants to hire someone like Mayhew or Hurney, who won't be a threat to his job, while reports are that Rick Smith is in consideration.  The same Rick Smith who also interviewed with Snyder last December for full control of the organization.  

From one of the guys who started a #FireRickSmith on social media, I'll say... You can do much worse. In hindsight, Smith had some really nice years in Houston, and has a killer track record in the first round.

He has his flaws, but who doesn't? 

#HireRickSmith

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ET80 said:

Yeah, I think we're slowly finding out that Cal McNair is in that Snyder category of horrible owner...

There's only a short amount of time to judge what he's done, but it's all been horrible to this point. 

From one of the guys who started a #FireRickSmith on social media, I'll say... You can do much worse. In hindsight, Smith had some really nice years in Houston, and has a killer track record in the first round.

He has his flaws, but who doesn't? 

#HireRickSmith

Oh, I think we should have given Rick Smith control over Rivera.  I'm not sold on Rivera and I also think the GM route is the way to go.  

That being said, Snyder gave Rivera full control.  You can't walk it back, and you absolutely can't hire the same guy who interviewed for what amounts to the same authority within the organization.  You just can't.  You are setting yourself up to fail.  

• Like 1

14 hours ago, ET80 said:

Unless I am missing something, Caserio isn't a lying snake in the grass.

8 minutes ago, Woz said:
10 minutes ago, Woz said:

Unless I am missing something, Caserio isn't a lying snake in the grass.

Wait ... you mean Easterby? Ohhhh ...

@ET80 - has Easterby been involved in putting together player reunion dinners to gin up nostalgia amongst the fanbase?

On 1/6/2021 at 10:23 PM, ET80 said:
On 1/6/2021 at 9:46 PM, Sugashane said:

Caillou looks creepy all grown up. 

...and we have a new leader in the clubhouse.

Is that why they just canceled the show? He's taking a more day-to-day responsibility in managing Houston?

(sorry, ET, had to go with a bit of gallows humor there)

• Like 1

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/30685827/houston-texans-ignored-search-firm-hiring-gm-nick-caserio-sources-say 

Had Houston stayed the course and followed the recommendation of the search firm Korn Ferry, the Texans likely would have hired Pittsburgh Steelers vice president of football and business administration Omar Khan as their next general manager, league sources told ESPN.

Khan and ESPN Monday Night Football analyst Louis Riddick were the two finalists before Texans owner Cal McNair changed his mind, ignored the recommendation of the search firm he paid hundreds of thousands of dollars to do weeks of work and hired former New England Patriots director of player personnel Nick Caserio, sources said.

10 minutes ago, Oregon Ducks said:

Lol 🤦 that would be perfect poetic justice. Miami would take the Texans for another ride. At this point, I'd rather have Darnold for next to nothing than valuing Tua high. Either way, anyone who gets Watson is winning that trade. Watson to Miami would be fun to watch. Maybe they could see if the Texans will throw in Tunsil...