Texans hire Nick Caserio as GM

Drained

@ET80, I'm still fine with opening up a seat on the bandwagon, if you want to come to a team with a QB like Watson, but with actual competent leadership and support above and around him. We can give the Texans Kirill in return. That seems like the kind of trade they'd accept, after all.

• Like 14

2 minutes ago, Jakuvious said:

@ET80, I'm still fine with opening up a seat on the bandwagon, if you want to come to a team with a QB like Watson, but with actual competent leadership and support above and around him. We can give the Texans Kirill in return. That seems like the kind of trade they'd accept, after all.

Deal.

• Like 1

This one is tough because we have no idea how much power he had in New England.. it is assumed that all moves are BB.. so how could you even know this guy is qualified? He has been around for awhile, so you could only hope that he is experienced enough but after BOB I'm amazed they picked him.

I read an article the other day on PFT, that talked about the diminishing role of Jack Easterby and how it might be to hide how much power he actually has.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2021/01/02/jack-easterbys-power-may-be-dwindling-in-houston/
apparently Mike Garafolo wrote the original piece that floated the idea. 

seems Garafolo might be on to something 

56 minutes ago, Crimmage said:

This one is tough because we have no idea how much power he had in New England.. it is assumed that all moves are BB.. so how could you even know this guy is qualified? He has been around for awhile, so you could only hope that he is experienced enough but after BOB I'm amazed they picked him.

The scarier thing now is that Nick Caserio and Josh McDaniels are college buds. And joined the Pats together in 2001.

I had theorized to my friend, who is a Cleveland Browns fan, that they may have been a paired option a year or so ago because of that connection.

Josh made a point last week to state that he absolutely wants to be a head coach again.. if Caserio calls him, he 100% takes that job. 

Now it has been awhile since he was a HC so maybe he would do much better this time.. but from a Patriots perspective losing both of them would be a massive blow on a critical offseason for their future. 

1 hour ago, KhanYouDigIt said:

Who exactly is Jack Easterby and what is his role with the Texans?

So they hired a search firm and Easterby said **** it and went with Caserio?

He's a snake oil salesman and his role is puppeteer of Cal McNair

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, ChazStandard said:

Why all the doom and gloom? Yes, Pats coordinators don't work out well as head coaches, but generally speaking FO personnel do all right. Pioli did some good work in KC, and Dimitroff did OK in Atlanta. I can't think of any others off the top of my head.

There's serious Patriots fatigue here in Houston. You could be right in all of this, but we simply don't want to give "The Patriot Way" another try.

We tried it for seven years, wasted the prime of one of the best defensive players to ever play the game and are currently wasting away the prime of a potential HoF QB. It's pretty apparent that "The Patriot Way" involves a lot of Tom Brady.

This especially hurts when you consider that the roster of GMs on the docket was really impressive; Khan, Kirchner, Boyd - up and comers from different philosophies, guys who would help install a new culture (something Deshaun Watson and JJ Watt openly stated was an absolute need). How is Caserio's culture any different than the one Bill O'Brien cut his teeth on? 

Mostly, it's because Jack Easterby is immortal (like the devil he is). A scathing article about his corrupt moral standards, his closeted racism and his overall thirst for power was released a month ago, and Watt/Watson both referenced it in between the lines as to the source of their frustration. A new GM meant he was out - so to hear they hired his friend and the guy who tried to recruit him 18 months earlier means Easterby is probably the most powerful man in the building. (Yes, over Watson and Watt - those two wouldn't be the first All Pro calibur players he traded away). 

I'm still a Watt fan and I'm still a Watson fan, and I'll be interested in seeing who the next HC is (I'm hoping it's not Josh McDaniels, and Brian Daboll now reeks of Patriot Way - even though he's been in Buffalo for a while now). I might find some renewed interest if Easterby gets fired after all of this (Caserio might become my hero after that, actually).

But right now... well, Seth Payne summarizes my feelings right now:

I feel like a sucker right now for believing things would change. It legitimately sucks that they probably won't.