Texans hire Nick Caserio as GM

Drained

So... Am I missing something?

Am I letting my feelings about Patriots people cloud what could be a good hire? I'll admit, I'm too smart sometimes and I'll overthink stuff (sort of like how I wanted Prince Amukamara over JJ Watt back in 2011) but is this the case here? Is Caserio a smart guy who can work a draft board as well as a contract negotiation? Can he create a "Houston" culture instead of "New England South" or "Denver South" or "Carolina South" like other regimes have tried? Am I overreacting because of Jack Easterby? He's the devil, I'm certain of it - but perhaps we need Beelzebub to win out in the AFC? I mean, this means I get Hopkins back - right? Miami can keep the 3rd round pick, I get Hopkins back, right?

...nah, this sucks. Caserio gonna totally keep David Johnson and trade Watt for a conditional 6th.

57 minutes ago, ET80 said:

There's serious Patriots fatigue here in Houston. You could be right in all of this, but we simply don't want to give "The Patriot Way" another try.

We tried it for seven years, wasted the prime of one of the best defensive players to ever play the game and are currently wasting away the prime of a potential HoF QB. It's pretty apparent that "The Patriot Way" involves a lot of Tom Brady.

This especially hurts when you consider that the roster of GMs on the docket was really impressive; Khan, Kirchner, Boyd - up and comers from different philosophies, guys who would help install a new culture (something Deshaun Watson and JJ Watt openly stated was an absolute need). How is Caserio's culture any different than the one Bill O'Brien cut his teeth on? 

Mostly, it's because Jack Easterby is immortal (like the devil he is). A scathing article about his corrupt moral standards, his closeted racism and his overall thirst for power was released a month ago, and Watt/Watson both referenced it in between the lines as to the source of their frustration. A new GM meant he was out - so to hear they hired his friend and the guy who tried to recruit him 18 months earlier means Easterby is probably the most powerful man in the building. (Yes, over Watson and Watt - those two wouldn't be the first All Pro calibur players he traded away). 

I'm still a Watt fan and I'm still a Watson fan, and I'll be interested in seeing who the next HC is (I'm hoping it's not Josh McDaniels, and Brian Daboll now reeks of Patriot Way - even though he's been in Buffalo for a while now). I might find some renewed interest if Easterby gets fired after all of this (Caserio might become my hero after that, actually).

But right now... well, Seth Payne summarizes my feelings right now:

I feel like a sucker right now for believing things would change. It legitimately sucks that they probably won't.

Damn. Just damn. I'll be watching Houston games next year though still. But yeah...****. Now I'm not sure if I want Saleh to go there. Also, they didn't think about looking into Adam Peters as a candidate for GM??? I know he's linked to Denver, but I would have tried to get him into the building. But I guess they didn't look at anybody really. This is so demoralizing. 

Edited by TecmoSuperJoe

1 hour ago, ET80 said:

There's serious Patriots fatigue here in Houston. You could be right in all of this, but we simply don't want to give "The Patriot Way" another try.

We tried it for seven years, wasted the prime of one of the best defensive players to ever play the game and are currently wasting away the prime of a potential HoF QB. It's pretty apparent that "The Patriot Way" involves a lot of Tom Brady.

This especially hurts when you consider that the roster of GMs on the docket was really impressive; Khan, Kirchner, Boyd - up and comers from different philosophies, guys who would help install a new culture (something Deshaun Watson and JJ Watt openly stated was an absolute need). How is Caserio's culture any different than the one Bill O'Brien cut his teeth on? 

Mostly, it's because Jack Easterby is immortal (like the devil he is). A scathing article about his corrupt moral standards, his closeted racism and his overall thirst for power was released a month ago, and Watt/Watson both referenced it in between the lines as to the source of their frustration. A new GM meant he was out - so to hear they hired his friend and the guy who tried to recruit him 18 months earlier means Easterby is probably the most powerful man in the building. (Yes, over Watson and Watt - those two wouldn't be the first All Pro calibur players he traded away). 

I'm still a Watt fan and I'm still a Watson fan, and I'll be interested in seeing who the next HC is (I'm hoping it's not Josh McDaniels, and Brian Daboll now reeks of Patriot Way - even though he's been in Buffalo for a while now). I might find some renewed interest if Easterby gets fired after all of this (Caserio might become my hero after that, actually).

But right now... well, Seth Payne summarizes my feelings right now:

I feel like a sucker right now for believing things would change. It legitimately sucks that they probably won't.

I feel for you man it's like peeing into the wind lol. I wonder how much the lack of picks impacted the search? The Patriots seem to do more with less picking late every year.

This move still not be long long term could just be a transition to the future.

15 minutes ago, ET80 said:

.nah, this sucks. Caserio gonna totally keep David Johnson and trade Watt for a conditional 6th.

I wouldn't want Watt back he's acting too good to be on a rebuild project. He's saying everyone around the team needs to play with pride and better it's a disgrace. At some point that attitude gets toxic and wears on guys.

Only Houston game I fully watched was week one .and they said there's simply not much talent on the tram sure they have pieces they need a lot more though.

3 hours ago, KhanYouDigIt said:

Who exactly is Jack Easterby and what is his role with the Texans?

So they hired a search firm and Easterby said **** it and went with Caserio?

Lmao this sounds terrible when you put it that way but yeah lol. I'm sure he worded it as casting a wide net

2 hours ago, ChazStandard said:

Why all the doom and gloom? Yes, Pats coordinators don't work out well as head coaches, but generally speaking FO personnel do all right. Pioli did some good work in KC, and Dimitroff did OK in Atlanta. I can't think of any others off the top of my head.

Piolis tenure was turrible. Horrible head coaching hires, horrible Quarterback selection. Decent drafter though. Too focused on micro-managing and the ‘patriot way’. 

• Like 2

I mean i guess you can call it reactionary but this feels like a weird year to be buying on a Patriots personnel guy? Even looking back on when the Pats were plowing the competition, I feel like the book on the Pats was always that Belichick the GM made bad or weird decisions that Belichick the coach (and Brady the QB) were able to then turn into gold. I don't know that right now my first choice for rebuilding a team would be bringing in a Pats guy and telling him to do his job without the benefit of having Belichek to make him look good. 

Considering everything BoB did to kneepcap the franchise is the direct collateral damage of their long-term, incompetent pursuit of Caserio, this dude really has to be a savant for all of this to have been worth it. 

Edited by SalvadorsDeli