Texans hire Nick Caserio as GM

Drained

At this point I just feel bad for Texans fans and Texans players like Watson and JJ Watt. You guys finally get rid of BoB, only to forego an actual GM search and just go right back to the Patriots tree and basically do the same damn thing. How is that supposed to inspire the players that the culture is changing? How is that going to lure potential Free Agents to Houston?

Watson needs to get out of there ASAP, otherwise his entire career is going to be ruined thank to this pathetic organization.

3 hours ago, ET80 said:

How much of this is Dante Scarneccia? I'd argue that - specific to OL - coaching up technique and scheme is more than identifying talent. We've seen the OL guys leave New England and not live up to expectations (Trent Brown is good, but that's about it).

Yeah could be. We only know that Onwenu hasn't been coached by Scar. Thuney has kept up his level of play without him. Hard to say

• Like 1

9 hours ago, TecmoSuperJoe said:

It's crazy how Brady was so good of a player, he elevated everyone in that organization into like genius status, and the moment he's not in their pocket, those same folks just can't find success anywhere. Nutty. This is like the anti-Walsh tree. 

The drafting a pro bowler argument is so stupid. They played in the super bowl almost every year- therefore no pro bowlers. 

Also I get there's "Patriot South" fatigue, but in a vacuum I think Caserio is a great higher. Read about his backgroud before you make judgements, his resume is impressive and he wore a TON of hats in the Patriots Org. 

4 hours ago, drd23 said:

Baltimore, Pittsburgh, Green Bay etc haven't been picking much earlier (if at all) in the same time period compared to the Pats and yet have been more successful at drafting eventual Pro Bowlers

Taking Baltimore;

2020: 28

2019: 25

2018: 25

2017: 16

2016: 6

Avg = 20th

NE

2020: 37

2019: 32

2018: 18

2017: 83

2016: 60

Avg = 46th spot

So first of all I think we can agree that over the past 5 years, Baltimore's average draft spot for first pick is significantly lower than NE's. 

Second, thinking back, the times BB has drafted as low as Baltimore have (in the 20s) he came away with Pro Bowlers Hightower, Jones and Nate Solder and Wynn. One bust in Easley. I can't think of any other lower picks.

If he gets into the 20s or lower, he tends to do OK

Edited by Hunter2_1

1 minute ago, 1ForTheThumb said:

The drafting a pro bowler argument is so stupid. They played in the super bowl almost every year- therefore no pro bowlers. 

But you still get voted in, Brady has been voted in just about every year, but he's skipped out - Super Bowl or not. 

It's telling. 

2 minutes ago, 1ForTheThumb said:

Also I get there's "Patriot South" fatigue, but in a vacuum I think Caserio is a great higher.

In all honesty, I don't disagree - but the thorn in this hire is Jack Easterby. This hire is 100% his, when we were told that he would have absolutely no say in the matter and that ownership was bringing in a cadre of experts - former successful HCs, an executive Search firm, etc. These groups were brought in, names were provided (REALLY good names, too) and ALL of that was ignored to hire the one guy who would keep Jack Easterby in the building.

It's maddening. It's frustrating. And it's isolating the fans as well as the franchise player...

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

At this point I just feel bad for Texans fans and Texans players like Watson and JJ Watt. You guys finally get rid of BoB, only to forego an actual GM search and just go right back to the Patriots tree and basically do the same damn thing. How is that supposed to inspire the players that the culture is changing? How is that going to lure potential Free Agents to Houston?

Watson needs to get out of there ASAP, otherwise his entire career is going to be ruined thank to this pathetic organization.

Am I the only one who doesn't feel that bad for Watson? He chose to resign there. Sure, it likely would have been a long time before he got his mega contract if he had decided not to resign with Houston, as he would have had to play out his rookie deal and the franchise tag. But he still didn't have to resign with them if he thought the organization was run so poorly.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, DawgX said:

Am I the only one who doesn't feel that bad for Watson? He chose to resign there. Sure, it likely would have been a long time before he got his mega contract if he had decided not to resign with Houston, as he would have had to play out his rookie deal and the franchise tag. But he still didn't have to resign with them if he thought the organization was run so poorly.

Who knows what he was told behind closed doors, but I get why he chose to re-sign there. It's the team that drafted him, he probably has a lot of love for that city/team and maybe he believed the organization would do right and fix itself. Who knows.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, DawgX said:

Watt and Watson right now:

Jeff-Daniels-and-Jim-Carrey-Cry-and-Wipe

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, DawgX said:

Honestly I don't really see what other choice he had. It's hard enough to turn down the $100 million+ guaranteed contract you've been working your whole life towards. It'd be stupid not to take that offer knowing that even without signing any extension with the Texans, they could unilaterally keep you there for 4-5 more years, except instead now you don't have the same kind of financial security and you're one hit away from having that payday taken away from you entirely. 

What I will say though is that Watson probably needed to exert some leverage during those contract negotiations to get assurances from ownership about the direction of the team, specifically as it relates to this sketchy Jack Easterby character. Under normal circumstances it's not really advisable for a player to try to get that involved in personnel decisions but clearly Houston isn't a normal circumstance, and you'd probably rather have Watson helping run the ship than bizarro Joel Osteen. Then again, maybe he did exactly that and and Cal McNair just went back on his word - that certainly appears like a possibility given the way in which ownership threw out the GM search committee's recommendations completely at the last minute. 

• Like 3

6 hours ago, ET80 said:

But it's not like Pro Bowlers are found in the first - in your example, Harry went ahead of three Pro Bowl WRs. Sony Michel was taken ahead of Nick Chubb and Ronald Jones II.

It's a clear and present misunderstanding by the Patriots on who is going to develop into a good player and who isn't.

Quick exercise here - who is the last good player drafted by the Pats with their first pick? Not even a Pro Bowler, but a guy who hasn't been a complete disaster? Not Harry, not Michel... Derek Rivers? Malcolm Brown? Dominic Easley?

That's a flat out disaster.

And it's my disaster now.

Failed Patriots coaches and GM's is almost like the hot potato game. Regularly move in, destroy everything and then move onto another unsuspecting franchise with the hopes that "this time it will be different". 

Good luck to my Texans brothers... the Lions have been through this disaster the last and at least we got out from under it. There was clearly hope that the disaster under BoB would long be forgotten and a brighter future was ahead. Now, this reminds me of a famous quote.... "Just when I thought I was out, THEY PULL ME BACK IN". 

• Like 1