• Micah Parsons LB
    • DeVonta Smith WR
    • Kwity Paye DE/DT
    • Caleb Farley CB
    • Patrick Surtain III CB
    • Trey Lance QB
    • Jaylen Waddle WR

Linebacker at 7.

Make a mistake, rinse and repeat. No one ever learns. Including that fan base.

So, with that said... Kyle Wilson is the easy pick if he makes it and assuming Staffords moved. 

Just pretty much believe certian positions aren't worth or the same value as others. I can't get behind the idea that in the modern NFL a MLB will turn this team around. Drafting him sets him up to be Luke Kuechly, Patrik Wilson, Sean Lee... and idk if he's that guy. Wouldn't hate the pick with a trade back though to be honest.( out of top 10)

10 minutes ago, SimbaWho said:

Linebacker at 7.

So, with that said... Kyle Wilson is the easy pick if he makes it and assuming Staffords moved. 

Just pretty much believe certian positions aren't worth or the same value as others. I can't get behind the idea that in the modern NFL a MLB will turn this team around. Drafting him sets him up to be Luke Kuechly, Patrik Wilson, Sean Lee... and idk if he's that guy. Wouldn't hate the pick with a trade back though to be honest.( out of top 10)

I don't necessarily disagree with you. There are certain positions I feel are not as valuable in the top 10, and generally LB is one of them. This team though is so void of talent on the D, and especially the front 7 that this year, I'm taking the BPA at any position for a quicker rebuild.  Also, any player you pick in the top 10 will not turn this team around. Especially next year. But a whole host of talented players surely will be more likely to do so.

6 minutes ago, LionArkie said:

I don't necessarily disagree with you. There are certain positions I feel are not as valuable in the top 10, and generally LB is one of them. This team though is so void of talent on the D, and especially the front 7 that this year, I'm taking the BPA at any position for a quicker rebuild.  Also, any player you pick in the top 10 will not turn this team around. Especially next year. But a whole host of talented players surely will be more likely to do so.

How would you even know Parsons is best at 7? Cause the mock draft guys told you so? Cause you can't project him really this year with apples to apples to other prospects.

All's you've got is a workout this year, and last years film to decide he's the 7th best player.

A starting QB, changes a football team more than anything. IF Wilson came in and pulled a Justin Herbert. Lions are light-years ahead of where they are now towards a Superbowl.

Edited by SimbaWho

1 hour ago, SimbaWho said:

How would you even know Parsons is best at 7? Cause the mock draft guys told you so? Cause you can't project him really this year with apples to apples to other prospects.

All's you've got is a workout this year, and last years film to decide he's the 7th best player.

A starting QB, changes a football team more than anything. IF Wilson came in and pulled a Justin Herbert. Lions are light-years ahead of where they are now towards a Superbowl.

How would I even know if Parsons is best at 7? Just like everyone else on this forum, from what the mock guys tell me. All of those guys are brother-in-laws to top NFL execs, don't ya know? Isn't this why Wilson is also the most talked about thing right now...because of those Mock forums? Or is it because of his dominance of Coastal Carolina and Western Kentucky?

Our front 7 is in shambles. Our D lost us more games than our offense did last year.  This is about building a team, and our team is completely lacking at LB and it just so happens one of the most highest rated players on the defensive side of the ball is a LB, albeit last year. Yes, highest rated by mock experts. I don't think he forgot to play football over this last year, and there are many others who missed this season as well who will be up to be drafted.

So far the NFL people are mostly saying he is a fantastic LB prospect. This doesn't mean he will be successful. He comes from LB U...which doesn't mean he will be successful. Likewise, there is no guarantee Wilson will come in and be the savior or this team. He may very well be another Jeff George, or Ty Detmer if you'd prefer.

Now do I think a great qb would help rebuild this team? Sure. Do I think a great QB will make it to 7? Probably less likely than a great LB prospect.

I think there is a real possibility Wilson is gone in the top 5. Which leads me to Fields or Parsons.  I also think there is a chance Fields will be gone, especially if her performs well against Alabama. Which leaves Parsons, SeaWall and Rouseau for me. So more than likely, I'll be left with Parsons as I think the other two will be gone. So, I'm going to take the best player on my board.  And in the beginning of January, it's Parsons...at 7.

At the end of the day, I would prefer to have DL, OL, QbotF, LB, CB, WR. Out of those, I want the BPA. At 7, I think the BPA will end up being Parsons as all the other at those positions will be gone. Things could change significanlty between now and the draft so we will see how it goes.

Edited by LionArkie
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, SimbaWho said:

You can make that same case with Trey Lance, Jamie Newman among other opt outs. You can make that same case with guys who were injured for the bulk of a season but were top level prospects like Tua. All of this is just projecting who someone may or may not be when they're in the NFL. Carson Wentz would probably have gone to a Power 5 school instead of North Dakota State if you could just project he was going to play his way to be the #2 overall QB in his class. James Robinson doesn't go undrafted if you can project he's going to be a 1,000 yard rusher on a bad Jags team. 

We might not even have a shot at any of the top 3-4 QB's by the time #7 rolls around and we don't have the draft capital to move up and grab one. I don't see Stafford being moved (unless he specifically asks for it) until the Lions can guarantee they'll get one of those guys or the GM is intent on just blowing everything up. He's not going to be moved before draft day unless they sign a vet QB and just blow things up with an eye on another top pick next year to address QB. 

The Chargers and the Lions aren't even in the same category. LA has talent on offense and defense. Adding in Herbert just helped to elevate the existing talent already on the roster. They vastly underperformed which is why Lynn is now out. How many name guys do they have on that defensive roster... Bosa, James, Ingram, Tillery... it's a good group. 

3 hours ago, SimbaWho said:

The entire concept of mock drafting is based on assumptions.  The Lions have a starting caliber QB, another wouldn’t change the team. A potentially elite starting QB certainly would. Wilson should be the pick in my opinion if he’s there at number 7 but I highly suspect he will be gone well before. The only chance I see of the Lions getting Wilson is some trade with the Jets where they trade Stafford for Donaldson and swap 1sts. Highly unlikely. I think it more likely the Lions would draft a QB they liked in latter rounds. But, all assumptions until the GM and coach are hired and free agency completed.

There are a number of valuations teams can conduct on draft selections. BPA, player offering the most significant positional upgrade, position longevity, investment in position etc.in addition to data from all the testing.  In the final judgement it’s really about how a player transitions to the pro game. At pick 7 I really don’t care who they draft as long as they don’t miss. There really isn’t a position on the team, except TE that couldn’t use an upgrade.

35 minutes ago, diehardlionfan said:

The entire concept of mock drafting is based on assumptions.  The Lions have a starting caliber QB, another wouldn’t change the team. A potentially elite starting QB certainly would. Wilson should be the pick in my opinion if he’s there at number 7 but I highly suspect he will be gone well before. The only chance I see of the Lions getting Wilson is some trade with the Jets where they trade Stafford for Donaldson and swap 1sts. Highly unlikely. I think it more likely the Lions would draft a QB they liked in latter rounds. But, all assumptions until the GM and coach are hired and free agency completed.

There are a number of valuations teams can conduct on draft selections. BPA, player offering the most significant positional upgrade, position longevity, investment in position etc.in addition to data from all the testing.  In the final judgement it’s really about how a player transitions to the pro game. At pick 7 I really don’t care who they draft as long as they don’t miss. There really isn’t a position on the team, except TE that couldn’t use an upgrade.

If the Lions bring on Saleh and one of the Mike's (Lafleur or McDaniel's), I can see them bringing in CJ Beathard as a veteran backup/bridge starter. He's a UFA, 27 years old and wouldn't cost a lot. He has starting experience in that system. He could be your backup if Stafford stays as the starter; he could be your vet/bridge starter if Stafford is gone and either we've drafted a young guy who needs to develop (Wilson, Lance, Newman) or we're totally rebuilding and aiming to add our guy in 2022. 

He went to Iowa so there would be some familiarity with TJ although they didn't really cross paths (unless TJ was redshirted and on campus CB's SR year). 

He's not going to be expected to come in and win a bunch of games. If he is starting it would be a clear signal that the team is looking at a multi-year rebuild. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, LionArkie said:

How would I even know if Parsons is best at 7? Just like everyone else on this forum, from what the mock guys tell me. All of those guys are brother-in-laws to top NFL execs, don't ya know? Isn't this why Wilson is also the most talked about thing right now...because of those Mock forums? Or is it because of his dominance of Coastal Carolina and Western Kentucky?

Our front 7 is in shambles. Our D lost us more games than our offense did last year.  This is about building a team, and our team is completely lacking at LB and it just so happens one of the most highest rated players on the defensive side of the ball is a LB, albeit last year. Yes, highest rated by mock experts. I don't think he forgot to play football over this last year, and there are many others who missed this season as well who will be up to be drafted.

So far the NFL people are mostly saying he is a fantastic LB prospect. This doesn't mean he will be successful. He comes from LB U...which doesn't mean he will be successful. Likewise, there is no guarantee Wilson will come in and be the savior or this team. He may very well be another Jeff George, or Ty Detmer if you'd prefer.

Now do I think a great qb would help rebuild this team? Sure. Do I think a great QB will make it to 7? Probably less likely than a great LB prospect.

I think there is a real possibility Wilson is gone in the top 5. Which leads me to Fields or Parsons.  I also think there is a chance Fields will be gone, especially if her performs well against Alabama. Which leaves Parsons, SeaWall and Rouseau for me. So more than likely, I'll be left with Parsons as I think the other two will be gone. So, I'm going to take the best player on my board.  And in the beginning of January, it's Parsons...at 7.

At the end of the day, I would prefer to have DL, OL, QbotF, LB, CB, WR. Out of those, I want the BPA. At 7, I think the BPA will end up being Parsons as all the other at those positions will be gone. Things could change significanlty between now and the draft so we will see how it goes.

I'm also someone who doesn't value certain positions as high draft pick material (LB/TE/P/K/LS/FB, etc). However, Parsons is in my top 10. And depending on how the board falls, he could be my 7th best player on the board. I will say, I did a draft simulator, where I drafted for the Lions but every other pick was automated, and every single time I did it, Parsons was gone before 7. Which shocked me. 

• Like 1

I'll digress. You listen to the writers/mockers/etc and whoever you like.

I kind of listen, watch some games, look up stats, watch workouts, and my up my own opinion. A lot of times I dont know anything about certain guys cause there's too many... but Idk how anyone can confidently say they trust Parsons at 7 without just saying other people would do it. I'm personally just way more confident in a few other guys a  vs him. On top of him being a LB'er too.

IDK who said Wilson had a great game against Costal Carolina... but that was easily his worst game of the year. lol.

26 minutes ago, SimbaWho said:

I'll digress. You listen to the writers/mockers/etc and whoever you like.

I kind of listen, watch some games, look up stats, watch workouts, and my up my own opinion. A lot of times I dont know anything about certain guys cause there's too many... but Idk how anyone can confidently say they trust Parsons at 7 without just saying other people would do it. I'm personally just way more confident in a few other guys a  vs him. On top of him being a LB'er too.

If you like other players more, I understand. But I don't understand how you say if people like Parsons it's only because of other people. I happen to watch games, look up stats, watch workouts, listen to coaches and teammates, look at skills and natural instincts, dissect strengths and weaknesses and weigh what can be fixed versus fit on the team. I'm not one who typically values LBs as top ten picks, but Parsons is in my top ten. If he's not in yours, okay, but to dismiss other peoples input because you just dismiss it, seems unreasonable to me.

And for what it's worth, I voted for Wilson in the poll because he's my second favorite QB in this draft and I like him better than the top QBs coming out next season. I think he'd do well sitting behind and learning from Stafford. 

Edited by Louis Friend
  • Like 1

22 hours ago, SimbaWho said:

Linebacker at 7.

There are busts at every position in the top 10, and there are those who have excelled.  LB is no different and is a very important position on the D.  A MLB is the QB of the defense and teams that have great MLBs tend to have pretty solid Ds. Parsons is an elite athlete and has been doing it at every level in every position.  His tape is impressive, he is all over the field and has great instincts and doesn't miss when he is there.  

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Sllim Pickens said:

There are busts at every position in the top 10, and there are those who have excelled.  LB is no different and is a very important position on the D.  A MLB is the QB of the defense and teams that have great MLBs tend to have pretty solid Ds. Parsons is an elite athlete and has been doing it at every level in every position.  His tape is impressive, he is all over the field and has great instincts and doesn't miss when he is there.  

The only real issue that I have with Parsons is the stuff that leaked out with the kid who is suing the school. A sexual assault allegation is not a minor thing in the least. 

https://abcnews.go.com/Sports/penn-state-football-player-coach-james-franklin-told/story?id=74314780