• Micah Parsons LB
    • DeVonta Smith WR
    • Kwity Paye DE/DT
    • Caleb Farley CB
    • Patrick Surtain III CB
    • Trey Lance QB
    • Jaylen Waddle WR

10 minutes ago, Karnage84 said:

Because they needed secondary help and adding someone considered to be the best in the draft seemed to make a lot of sense. It's hard to know the truth but apparently Patricia had wanted Derrick Brown while Quinn wanted Okudah. He wasn't a stud by any means but he was graded roughly 10 - 20 points better than Shelton and Penisini on PFF. 

I don't know if this is true or not, but I'm kind of wondering if this is what is leading the coaching search, or better phrased, incidents like this.  If they are trying to use the GM spot as the person who directs all of scouting and takes care of financials and the business aspect, and the HC makes the draft decisions and FA decisions (provided it works with the financials)? This would then make a lot of sense for a Lewis/Riddick Combo, but could also work for a lot of other tandem scenarios as well. This is just the one that sticks out the most for me.

This is just a thought, not that I necessarily believe what is happening.

11 minutes ago, LionArkie said:

I don't know if this is true or not, but I'm kind of wondering if this is what is leading the coaching search, or better phrased, incidents like this.  If they are trying to use the GM spot as the person who directs all of scouting and takes care of financials and the business aspect, and the HC makes the draft decisions and FA decisions (provided it works with the financials)? This would then make a lot of sense for a Lewis/Riddick Combo, but could also work for a lot of other tandem scenarios as well. This is just the one that sticks out the most for me.

This is just a thought, not that I necessarily believe what is happening.

I was watching the POD video on Marvin Lewis and they even floated out the idea of Marvin Lewis essentially acting as GM. 

If we're hiring a HC that is also essentially the defacto GM (roster building with draft decisions, FA decisions, etc.) then it is going to be someone with a ton of experience like a Marvin Lewis. 

Looking at key names from his Cincy coaching staff's

- Leslie Frazier - Currently AHC/DC for the Bills

- Hue Jackson - Was a special assistant to ML in Cincy in 2018, not currently in football

- Jay Gruden - Jaguars OC (probably going to be fired with a new HC hire)

- Vance Joseph - Cardinals DC

- Alex Van Pelt - Cleveland Browns OC, just stepped in and won their first playoff game as HC while Stefanski was out due to COVID

and names from his stops through the years:

- Pittsburgh: Bill Cowher, Dom Capers, Chan Gailey

- Baltimore: Jim Schwartz, Eric Mangini, Ken Whisenhunt, Brian Billick, Rex Ryan, Jack Del Rio, Mike Nolan

There's a bunch of tv guys that I don't think you're going to get. Del Rio is probably pretty secure in Washington. Schwartz is openly talking about retiring. 

If Marvin Lewis is hired we'd likely see the addition of Hue Jackson and/or Jay Gruden in some role. I'm not sure that I would be a fan of that.