Atlanta Braves Mega Thread

coors

16 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

Would MLB really do that?  I'm legitimately asking.  Maybe @devils1854 can shed some light.

Not going to happen.

MLB hates the current way thing work in international signings. Thats why they want a draft. Allowing Maitan to become a free agent would mean that there would be a bidding war, and he would definitely be getting 8 figures from his new team, and that would horrify MLB. 

Its apples to oranges trying to compare Maitan and the guys from the Red Sox investigation. 

Plus, it does not look like MLB has any hard evidence on the Maitan situation. What got the Red Sox in trouble was the fact that all 6 guys had the same handler and the money could be traced to that guy and see it was given out how they wanted.

The prospect that MLB is trying to tie into Maitan had a different handler, and the only link that the two have is that fact that they lived in the same house in Florida while training before the signing period. 

Can they find that we had a deal with Maitan 6 months prior? Probably, but every other organization does it and it would open up Pandora's box if the Braves were harshly penalized for it. Not going to happen.

Could MLB find that the Braves paid for the house that Maitan and the other prospect lived in while training in Florida? Possible, but that doesnt mean that the signing was fraudulent, and that would not be enough to take Maitan away. 

Will the Braves get penalized? Of course. They are going to get hit hard for a year or two in the international market. Their will definitely be organizational fines, but most everyone involved is going to be or is already purged from the front office. Lastly, the team could also lose a draft pick or two if MLB wants to hammer the team more, or if they find anything in the Drew Waters situation, but no players are going to be taken from the team. 

16 minutes ago, devils1854 said:

Will the Braves get penalized? Of course. They are going to get hit hard for a year or two in the international market. Their will definitely be organizational fines, but most everyone involved is going to be or is already purged from the front office. Lastly, the team could also lose a draft pick or two if MLB wants to hammer the team more, or if they find anything in the Drew Waters situation, but no players are going to be taken from the team. 

Correct me if I'm wrong, but they're already restricted in the next two IFA periods where they can't sign anyone fore more than 300k, correct?  I'm not sure how much  more you can penalize them in that regard.  You could extend the restriction period another year or two, but moving them from being able to sign a player to a maximum of 150k instead of 300k doesn't really feel like a punishment.  And I don't think the "purge" is part of the punishment from MLB, that's something the team had to do on it's own.

Just now, CWood21 said:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but they're already restricted in the next two IFA periods where they can't sign anyone fore more than 300k, correct?  I'm not sure how much  more you can penalize them in that regard.  You could extend the restriction period another year or two, but moving them from being able to sign a player to a maximum of 150k instead of 300k doesn't really feel like a punishment.  And I don't think the "purge" is part of the punishment from MLB, that's something the team had to do on it's own.

Yeah, the Braves cannot spend in 2017 or 2018 because of going over. The penalty will be more years, or maybe even barring them from signing anyone for a year or two.

Yes, getting rid of everyone involved didnt come from MLB. The team did it, but all those that were involved in wrong doings will be gone. Its like a college program instituting their own sanctions to lessen the blow from the NCAA. 

1 minute ago, devils1854 said:

Yeah, the Braves cannot spend in 2017 or 2018 because of going over. The penalty will be more years, or maybe even barring them from signing anyone for a year or two.

Yes, getting rid of everyone involved didnt come from MLB. The team did it, but all those that were involved in wrong doings will be gone. Its like a college program instituting their own sanctions to lessen the blow from the NCAA. 

IF they're going to stick strictly with IFA in terms of punishment, it probably means they're barred from signing anyone in next year's IFA, and their restriction from signing players for more than 300k is extended a year or two.

The firing part shouldn't be included as part of the punishment.  It's something that MLB probably expected the Braves to do on their own.

Just now, CWood21 said:

IF they're going to stick strictly with IFA in terms of punishment, it probably means they're barred from signing anyone in next year's IFA, and their restriction from signing players for more than 300k is extended a year or two.

The firing part shouldn't be included as part of the punishment.  It's something that MLB probably expected the Braves to do on their own.

The firing isnt part of the punishment but its the front office showing publicly that they arent putting up with what happened. Trying to look like they are doing the right things. 

1 minute ago, devils1854 said:

The firing isnt part of the punishment but its the front office showing publicly that they arent putting up with what happened. Trying to look like they are doing the right things. 

I mean, it's like St. Louis firing Correa to lessen the punishment.  Regardless of whether or not they're firing the people involved, the punishment shouldn't/isn't going to change.

2 hours ago, WizardHawk said:

Guess it depends on who you ask...Bowman thinks they will.

Dont believe that for a second, unless its someone not named Kevin Maitan. No way MLB makes him a free agent.  Drew Waters? Eh, i think there could be move evidence supporting the claims against him than Maitan, so he would be more likely. 

3 hours ago, devils1854 said:

Dont believe that for a second, unless its someone not named Kevin Maitan. No way MLB makes him a free agent.  Drew Waters? Eh, i think there could be move evidence supporting the claims against him than Maitan, so he would be more likely. 

I don't know. Bill Shanks agreed with Bowman that Atlanta will "most definitely" lose players. I'm hoping Maitan isn't part of it and tend to lean that he won't like you, but until I see the damage, I'm not holding my breath. 

19 hours ago, devils1854 said:

IF Kevin Maitan was part of that scandal, why would he be exempt?

1 hour ago, CWood21 said:

IF Kevin Maitan was part of that scandal, why would he be exempt?

1.What are the supposed accusations against Maitan? That the Braves had an agreement with Maitan around 6 months before signing day? Every single team does this. Every year, the top rankings come out a few months before signing day and all the top prospects already have been spoken for, and most of these tops guys end up signing with the team that was rumored. Why is that? Its because agreements have already been made. MLB would have to penalize up to a dozen teams for doing this the past few years. What the other supposed accusation? The Braves might have paid for a apartment for Maitan and another prospect before signing day. Once again, this is something that happens a lot, and multiple teams would have to be penalized.

I said it earlier. This is nowhere close to the same thing that MLB went after the Red Sox for. The Red Sox circumvented the system by giving money to a group of players and their handler giving the money to the better prospects.

2.The MLB hates international free agency. They want a draft. They already have a cap for spending now, and have even limited what players from Japan and other professionals can get. MLB does not want these kids getting paid. What sense would it make for them to make Maitan a free agent? There would be a huge bidding war, and the winning team would be signing Maitan for eight figures. Why would MLB allow that? That goes against everything they have done and said in recent years.

Hence the "IF" part, that was my stipulation.  IF Kevin Maitan was part of those accusations, why would he be exempt from those punishments?  That's what I'm asking.  We saw in the case of the Red Sox that the main players involved in that scandal were made FA.  Why would you think that MLB would make Maitan exempt?  If anything, that doesn't deter teams from cheating.  LIS, we only know some of the facts and if more come out that there is more than just paying for an apartment, or something that is largely a regular occurrence it's one thing, but if it's beyond that scope there's no reason that Maitan shouldn't be expect from it.

MLB's desire for a draft has NOTHING to do with what their punishment will be.  IF MLB wanted a draft that bad, there would be a draft already.