Atlanta Braves Mega Thread

coors

38 minutes ago, coors said:

Living in Chicago, I don't get to see much of the Braves.

What's his deal? I've seen you mention that a couple of times.

Like when Foltynewicz again and again allowed his emotions to get the best of him in the middle of an inning, one mistake pitch or questionable umpire’s decision causing him to lose his focus, leading to another mistake and the loss of composure and … boom, a three-, four- or more-run inning and a game swirling down the drain.

I’ll admit, Atlanta Braves starting pitcher Mike Foltynewicz sometimes allows the umpire to get to him. But if he can harness this warranted anger appropriately, give me an angry guy on the mound any day.

https://tomahawktake.com/2017/04/19/atlanta-braves-pitcher-mike-foltynewicz-is-angry-but-thats-not-a-bad-thing/

http://atlantabraves.blog.ajc.com/2017/07/25/folty-has-developed-into-braves-best-most-consistent-pitcher/

There are a couple of articles that mention it. Basically, if anything goes wrong for Folty(bad call by umprire, error, seeing eye single) he loses it. His body language gets awful, and he follows it up with bad pitching. Its how he gives up so many runs at once. He doesnt know how to get out of his own way.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, WizardHawk said:

I've seen the comparison numerous times. Folty is an early in his career Smoltz. Great stuff, but can't get out of his own way. Maybe he needs to go see same sports psychologist Smoltz did. 

I think Sims is closer to Smoltz if we are discussing make up. He might not ever amount to anything as a starter, but he wants the ball in any situation, and you can just tell he believes in himself. Probably why so many think he would be a great reliever. 

3 hours ago, WizardHawk said:

It feels like the front office has no clue what they are doing and is just throwing crap at the wall hoping it sticks.

Pitch Fried 3 times in two weeks then send him down for Minter, who is finally pitching well at AAA, but he's still coming back from injury, and probably needs more time in the minors.

8 hours ago, devils1854 said:

Good start by Sims but he needs to get his strike outs up. Is at less than 5 per 9 after 5 starts. Going to need to miss more bats to be successful over the long term.

Thats the one thing hes shown a consistent ability to do in the minors. Way too premature to bring it up, hes got less than 30 innings.

12 minutes ago, GSUeagles14 said:

Thats the one thing hes shown a consistent ability to do in the minors. Way too premature to bring it up, hes got less than 30 innings.

I dont think its premature at all to bring it up. Its a small sample size, but its still something to look at and say "hey. this is bad. Hopefully he gets it turned around because if he doesnt, he will not be successful." Its just like looking at his LD% of 24.6, GB% of 36.3, zone contact% of 88.4 and saying that those numbers are going to have to change big time, or he is going to have to strike out a lot more hitters to be even a back end starter.

16 minutes ago, coors said:

Why does Liberty Media still own the team?

Honestly, I dont think they are that much of a problem anymore. Our team payroll according to Cots is $122 million this year(beginning of season), and its the highest its been in the 2000s. It ended at $128 million for the 40 man last year. That was 17th in the league, but its an increase at what it was in the past, and the front office has already said that payroll would go up in the new stadium, and with the new tv deal coming up. We are going to be going after free agents this year(Mustakas?), and definitely next year in that loaded class. 

Are we ever going to be the Dodgers or Yankees? Of course not, but I would expect our payroll to increase to the top half of the league, and maybe even in the top 10. 

22 hours ago, devils1854 said:

Honestly, I dont think they are that much of a problem anymore. Our team payroll according to Cots is $122 million this year(beginning of season), and its the highest its been in the 2000s. It ended at $128 million for the 40 man last year. That was 17th in the league, but its an increase at what it was in the past, and the front office has already said that payroll would go up in the new stadium, and with the new tv deal coming up. We are going to be going after free agents this year(Mustakas?), and definitely next year in that loaded class. 

Are we ever going to be the Dodgers or Yankees? Of course not, but I would expect our payroll to increase to the top half of the league, and maybe even in the top 10. 

Man, Moustakas would be awesome to bring in. Especially if Acuna comes up and can tear it up. That lineup could be crazy good.

CF Inciarte

SS Swanson

1B Freeman

3B Moustakas

C Flowers

LF Markakis

RF Acuna

2B Albies

or something like that.

11 hours ago, WizardHawk said:

Trying to temper my excitement over Acuna, but he's making that damn near impossible with each passing day.

He's awful. Can't play CF. getting caught too often at stolen bases in Gwinettr, and doesn't sign autographs for the whole stadium.