Historical Run on QB's 2021 NFL Draft

Big T

1 hour ago, Jag68Sid87 said:

I just don't agree with anyone, including his teammates and his GM, who believes Darnold has the goods. I hope I am wrong if he remains our starting QB, but I will be largely disappointed if the new regime decides that Sam Darnold is our best option. It is clearly not.

Why would you be? I don't think Wilson or Fields is going to be amy better than Sam. The only other up grade woul be Watson and we may not get him. Dak is probably gping back to Dallas and no way is Aaron Rodgers being moved. Unless you think Wilson or Fields is better there is no real up grade. I know Carr might be on the block but is he even an up grade. I would still say no. 

7 minutes ago, jetfuel34 said:

Why would you be? I don't think Wilson or Fields is going to be amy better than Sam. The only other up grade woul be Watson and we may not get him. Dak is probably gping back to Dallas and no way is Aaron Rodgers being moved. Unless you think Wilson or Fields is better there is no real up grade. I know Carr might be on the block but is he even an up grade. I would still say no. 

Its certainly something to look at. As Cimini has said several times. He just doesn't get the vibe that JD and Saleh think Wilson or Fields are just too good to pass up. Watson is a whole other story obviously. But there's a lot of legs to the thinking that we will in fact roll with Sam at QB. Which based on this board would appear to piss off a lot of fans. But I don't see it that way, if we attack FA and the draft correctly. 

16 minutes ago, jetfuel34 said:

Unless you think Wilson or Fields is better there is no real up grade

I, for one, am not sure if Wilson or Fields or even Lawrence will be better than Sam. They will be rookies. My issue is that I have watched Sam for 3 years and he makes mistakes which are on him that he should not be if he is to be a “franchise” QB. To me a franchise QB should lift the play of the players around him, not necessarily the other way around. If Sam needs all-pros at WR, OL, TE and RB to look competent, does that mean he is good? Many on this site blame everything but Sam but what has Sam done to help with his own image?

If they keep Sam, I hope I can say I was wrong about him. Remember, we only have one year to see this miraculous change with improved coaching and weapons. If he is mediocre at best, then what next offseason?  More excuses?  Resign him for $20+M, trade up to draft a QB, draft a QB at around #15?  We have the opportunity now to make the move.

You made a good observation, Sam should elevate the players he plays with. 

My question is WHAT PLAYERS? Last year he had a better WR corps, and the Jets won at the end of the season.

He lost a WR he had chemistry with to FA, no running game, the OL was worse than this years bunch.

He got hurt, his WR's were never on the field together until later in the season 2020.

The OL was a hodgepodge  of different players at various times of the season, so no chemistry was ever given a chance to unify the line.

Yes Darnold made mistakes, but when you press, to make something happen, anything happen, you can easily create turnovers. 

Frank Gore and Q do not share your assessment. Q said draft a WR with this years number 2, Gore said, put the same talent that

Mayfield has and Darnold would be successful too. I agree.

You can't elevate mediocre players who are nothing more than 3rd stringers. 

Heres a quote for you and I think sums it up, You can't make a silk purse out of a sows ear.

55 minutes ago, Big T said:

My question is WHAT PLAYERS?

What WR’s did Brady have aside from Moss did any of them succeed elsewhere? Nope. I agree he had crap to work with but he did not make them better. They were still crap. Ask yourself if the GB WR’s would be even half as successful with Sam instead of Rodgers. Good QB’s make average WR’s look great and poor WR look average. Sam does neither. 

Frank Gore and Q do not share your assessment

Of course they are going to praise Sam, they are good teammates. When they become QB coaches I will put more stock into their assessment.  Where is the praise from the WR and TE corp?  Did any of them say at any point during the year that it was their fault and Sam was great?  I do not recall.  I make my assessment based on what I see during the games without bias or emotion.

the Jets won at the end of the season

They won two games at the end of the season. They won, what, 6 games in the second half in 2019. That all means exactly what?  Nothing.  Against LA, Sam threw for 207 yards with one TD. That is garbage but the important thing is he did not turn the ball over. Credit the running game and D for that win, not Sam so much. Against the Browns, Sam had a whopping 175 yards with 2 TD and, wait for it, 0 TO’s. Again credit the rushing game and D. The trend here based on very limited data is to not turn the ball over. Sam has a problem with that and it is not all on the WR or play calling. Watch the video I posted in another thread.

Heres a quote for you and I think sums it up, You can't make a silk purse out of a sows ear.

Hers a quote for you from Albert Einstein:  “You can’t keep doing the same things over again and expect different results. That is the definition of insanity”. 

Edited by xrade

15 hours ago, xrade said:

I happened to stumble upon a clip from the Micheal Kay Show. Apparently, Mims and Perriman are not to fond of Sam’s play. Listen for yourself. It seems pretty clear.  I also find it a bit disturbing that teammates would not speak glowingly of a fellow teammate.

https://dcs.megaphone.fm/ESP8042200229.mp3?key=6ef5241ac0f01fa5cc080e5ab74fe912

The clip is first of all misleading, more like "he said she said." Perriman and Mims, two WR's. So lets take a look at them, Perriman was out almost half the season, and  was a terrible FA pickup because he never lived up to the hype of closing out last season as one of the top WR's of 2019. 

How can a guy, who can't stay on the field, then drop the ball at crucial times be critical of his QB, saying it wasn't all Adam Gase? Sorry, he doesn't even make the team this year.

Mims on the other hand had has his moments when "he too made it to the field" but as of now he is a one trick pony, and there is much he has to learn. The guy wasn't even thrown to the last 3 games of the season. Was that Darnold's fault? Was Darnold calling the plays or Gase?

Q played every game (I may be wrong on this), Gore seems like he played every game too. One guy is a HOF player, the other an ascending player for his position behind Aaron Donald and sure Pro Bowl candidate going forward if he can build on this years accomplishments.

2 hours ago, Big T said:

The clip is first of all misleading, more like "he said she said." Perriman and Mims, two WR's

How could it be misleading? Hahn or whatever his name is interviewed them and was reporting what they said. Unless, of course, you believe a life-long Jet fan is lying about what was said in the interview. In that case, there is nothing more to say.

As for the rest of your post, it is unrelated to the topic at hand. I replied to you two days ago that I have not heard support for Sam from his receivers. Without searching, I came upon this podcast which is damning to Sam. Whether or not Mims or Perriman is any good is absolutely irrelevant. Current TEAMMATES of his who actual work very closely with Sam have a problem with his play. When a defensive player starts running routes and receiving passes from Sam, then I will value his opinion regarding the QB’s play. Other than that it is just cliches.

I would really love to hear from you why Sam is deserving beyond the he has not had good coaches or weapons. If you have seen him play this year, he was not good and I back that up with data and videos. Can you back up why he is good or at least deserving?  Remember, a financial decision will have to be made next year. 

On 2/4/2021 at 9:18 PM, xrade said:

I happened to stumble upon a clip from the Micheal Kay Show. Apparently, Mims and Perriman are not to fond of Sam’s play. Listen for yourself. It seems pretty clear.  I also find it a bit disturbing that teammates would not speak glowingly of a fellow teammate.

https://dcs.megaphone.fm/ESP8042200229.mp3?key=6ef5241ac0f01fa5cc080e5ab74fe912

Yeah most people fake it to look good, that's surprising.  

Darnold has had the unfortunate pleasure of playing for one of the worse run organizations in all of football. If you want the truth, all you couch GM's 3 years ago were clamoring for Darnold. 

What has changed? Why all of a sudden did you turn on Sam? Are you sunglasses no longer rose colored?

Why is it you don't understand that its a team game? Tell me, where is all the talent? Heck everyone in football knows the Jets are a talentless team apart from a handful of promising young players like Q and Becton.

Now you say, lets send all of our draft capitol to Texas for Watson, which I understand. Why didn't we draft Watson in the first place? Mcgagnan, as in Gag.I was screaming for Watson.

Before him Idzik, Idzik as in Ain't got a clue! Then trade for Darnold by giving up 3 number 2's, this is the same guy that hamstrung the Jets with Bell and an old Revis.

Darnold, everyone outside of our own fanbase doesn't say that Darnold's career cannot be salvaged or in fact that a change of scenery would be best for him. Where would they trade him?

Get this N.O., what would N.O. want with Sam Darnold? N.O. has a win now team in place with quality players at every position, a running game a decent defense. Darnold may not flourish, he may not even start, but he would have the benefit of playing for an organization that has its head on right and its team going in the right direction.

No....I SEE the talent that Darnold posse's but to be fair to Darnold he hasn't had the benefit of playing on a quality team.

2 hours ago, Big T said:

What has changed? Why all of a sudden did you turn on Sam? Are you sunglasses no longer rose colored?

Is this a serious question?  Ok, I’ll answer it. What has changed is that Sam just never became a good QB. You can continue with the same tired old argument that he was surrounded with crap. I will again say I agree. I will again ask if you have actually watched him play?  You will say you have and blame everyone but Sam for his bad play even though it is clear that Sam is just as much if not more to blame for his bad play.  You will make excuses for his poor decisions, ints, unnecessary hits, seeing “ghosts”, happy feet, poor reads of the D, etc. Which, by the way, is watching him through rose colored glasses.  I will again ask for evidence of something positive from Sam to counter the negative evidence I have shared. You will again ignore me.  I will ask what we do if Sam does not improve drastically this year because of the $ and again you won’t answer.

Must we keep playing this silly game?  I think Sam is not good and we should move on. You think he is salvageable and we should give him more time. We will never agree.

• Like 1

Just gotta let JD and Saleh and make the call. They are around Sam, they see him a lot closer than we do. The fact that Darnold is generating so much interest after such a miserable season could be telling. He made some very very poor decisions that were on him. But he was also playing for one of the worst run teams in football and a head coach that isn’t even generating any interest for an OC job.

I won’t be upset if we stick with him. I trust Douglas and Saleh know what they are doing. If not, it doesn’t matter anyway.