Historical Run on QB's 2021 NFL Draft

Big T

21 hours ago, xrade said:

Is this a serious question?  Ok, I’ll answer it. What has changed is that Sam just never became a good QB. You can continue with the same tired old argument that he was surrounded with crap. I will again say I agree. I will again ask if you have actually watched him play?  You will say you have and blame everyone but Sam for his bad play even though it is clear that Sam is just as much if not more to blame for his bad play.  You will make excuses for his poor decisions, ints, unnecessary hits, seeing “ghosts”, happy feet, poor reads of the D, etc. Which, by the way, is watching him through rose colored glasses.  I will again ask for evidence of something positive from Sam to counter the negative evidence I have shared. You will again ignore me.  I will ask what we do if Sam does not improve drastically this year because of the $ and again you won’t answer.

Must we keep playing this silly game?  I think Sam is not good and we should move on. You think he is salvageable and we should give him more time. We will never agree.

Again, I agree with you that Sam has played poorly, but without exception, Saleh thinks he can win with Sam, so do many in the Jets organization. Many draft pendants including Jeremiah amongst others including Cimini (not really a fan) along with Kiper (not really a fan). Not to mention the Jets taking calls on Sam's availability.

Now, for arguments sake, why would other teams want to trade for Darnold if they thought the talent wasn't there or if he were just a bad, prone to mistakes, a qb which really has no future as a starter in the NFL.

NO, there are people though out the NFL with influence in building a team, that would trade for Darnold, and rumor has it (true or not) that Sam could garner a first round pick.

For sake of argument I doubt you or any Jet fan would not consider that not a great haul for a terrible player with no future as a franchise altering QB and manageable back up.

Do teams trade 1st round picks for undervalued QB's, because there are a boatload of them available along with Darnold if he falls into that category. Most of them former starters who now are backups.

I personally believe the Jets if they don't trade for Watson, will, WILL, I repeat will trade Darnold, and my hope is that they draft Wilson. But the reason's go beyond his talent or ability. 

The main reason is that they can forego paying Darnold big money (5th year option), pick up another draft choice, reset with a new QB give the new coach a clean slate. If I'm wrong, and the Jets keep Darnold. Then I expect the Jets to trade down and pick up more draft capitol this with a combination of picks this year and 2022.

These are the reason's I believe Darnold will not be a Jet come 2021 opening day, so for me at least, its not so much about talent, but so many other factors that will lead to his being traded.

21 minutes ago, Big T said:

Saleh thinks he can win with Sam, so do many in the Jets organization

Saleh has said nothing like that about Sam. He said Sam is “good” using coach speak. He was asked this question by reporters, what was he supposed to say?  He sucks?  If he and the coaches think h they can fix Sam, great, I am all for it  I am just dubious.

26 minutes ago, Big T said:

why would other teams want to trade for Darnold if they thought the talent wasn't there or if he were just a bad, prone to mistakes

Because he was the #3 pick and he was surrounded by crap. Teams often take chances on high draft picks via trade, waivers or FA. Maybe they think a change of scenery will help. Sometimes it does. Being a FRP means there is talent there even if it is not evident on the field. Sometimes that talent is displayed and sometimes it isn’t. NFL coaches are not like you and me. Many think they can transmute lead to gold. It is their nature. I am sure there is a coaching staff or two that feel that can fix Sam regardless of the way he has played thus far. Maybe Saleh is one of them. Who knows. 

31 minutes ago, Big T said:

Do teams trade 1st round picks for undervalued QB's

Let’s wait for that to happen shall we. I really would be surprised if we get a FRP for Sam. 

35 minutes ago, Big T said:

I personally believe the Jets if they don't trade for Watson, will, WILL, I repeat will trade Darnold

If you read my post on what we may expect from JD, I think we keep Sam unless there is an offer JD can’t refuse. Granted it is just my opinion but it would not shock me to keep Sam and go to a more “run to set up the pass” offensive philosophy like Balt. He will also develop a strong D and OL.  Again this is just my amateurish opinion but we may not need a Mahomes or Rodgers. Sam may do.  

43 minutes ago, Big T said:

If I'm wrong, and the Jets keep Darnold. Then I expect the Jets to trade down and pick up more draft capitol this with a combination of picks this year and 2022.

This is what concerns me the most about keeping Sam. If he fails in 2021, we will need a QB in 2022. We should be picking low enough to miss out on the top two or three prospects without trading up. In short, we may need to take a lower level prospect or trade draft picks to move up or make a trade with an established QB. We have the #2 pick now. Get that QB. One QB that I have been thinking about lately is Mac Jones. If JD and Saleh want to be like Balt. a QB like Jones may be OK. He is accurate on short passes and smart enough to play. He will not be asked to win games just don’t lose them. And just so you are aware, I am not a Jones fan or any bama QB fan for that matter. They never pan out.

• 1 month later...

Man, this post has come around full circle, and I want to thank all the contributors to this post. Here we are one month out, and it seems, SEEMS, that what I thought is coming to fruition. It looks like there is going to be a run on QB's and trades including Goff, Wentz, and Stafford all went down. Watson is still available, but who knows how long this episode in his career is going to carry on for. 

Can teams wait for it all to be cleared up, and has Houston's power position for draft choices diminished because of all the negative publicity? Should Watson be innocent, and I believe Houston has to ride this one out OR Watson to avoid any further issue and go on with his career do as Michael Jackson did

Settle out of court with the stipulation written that the defendants can not speak or benefit in any fashion of the supposed sexual misconduct committed by Watson. This is probably the smartest solution, considering that he flew workers in from other parts of the country to offer their services, and having nothing to refute the allegations.

Now that most of the smoke is clearing concerning the Draft of 2021 it seems that a run on QB's is in the working, with little over or under a month left, the only other question will be which other teams will trade to move up or trade for a QB.

Darnold's day's as the QB of the Jets seems to be numbered, Garoppolo's day's as well are numbered in S.F. (even though they say he's the QB for now) a team doesn't trade multiple 1st rounders PLUS draft a QB and then tell him to sit, unless of course its Brady or Farve and Montana comes to mind.

Interesting isn't it?

Now as a side note or rant, with the talent at WR available to my mind there are at least 3 first round candidates, you all know their names. If Miami is sitting at 6 and all 3 of those WR's are available. Miami would be crazy to pass on Pitts at TE, which doesn't take anything away from the talent level of the WR's, but to my mind and from what I have seen. The phrase "generational talent" comes to mind. This guy is special and whoever is at 5 or 6 cannot pass on this level of talent. Yes I can see the Bengals drafting Pitts and adding an OL in round 2.