Deshaun Watson requests trade

49ersfan

25 minutes ago, ET80 said:

Lost on this. A few simple moves made at the beginning of the new league year can get needed cap space:

- Cut David Johnson ($6.9mm cap saving)

- Cut Bernardrick McKinney ($10mm cap saving)

- Cut Zach Fulton ($3mm cap savings)

- Cut Duke Johnson ($5.15mm cap savings)

- Renegotiate Brandin Cooks ($3.5mm savings, give or take)

- Renegotiate/Cut JJ Watt ($6mm savings renegotiate give or take/$17mm if cut)

Of these moves, the only one that has impact is Watt. Rest is dead weight with better options already on roster and/or guys who are due a younger replacement (RB mostly). That's $35mm opened up if you renegotiate Watt - $45mm if you cut Watt.

The money is there.

okay, okay.. so there is a little bit of cap relief

Is there enough to go after an Allen Robinson for example? Or something to really help the team? pff only has them with enough room to sign Keanu Neal and retain Conley lol. Where is your running game then? How do you fix the bottom 3 defense?

Don't get me wrong - I am generally of the opinion that if you have an elite QB under contract, you don't look to move him. But if he wants out AND you have no prospects to build around him, I don't see the option

The choices to me are either blow it up and grab a couple elite picks, or fully suffer in 2021, and maybe also 2022, then make a big splash in 2023 via free agency

I just don't know how you waste those dead years in the prime of Watson's career. If he was happy there, then I think you take your lumps and rebuild around him - but if he's going to start having issues (and to be fair to him, he SHOULD have issues with the way the org treated him), then idk if I'd still make that call

12 minutes ago, Uncle Buck said:

There are really only 4 teams in the league who shouldn't be interested in trading for Watson.

Kansas City  - Mahomes is as good or better.

San Diego - They have a very promising rookie, who, although he isn't as good as Watson right now, being on his rookie contract adds to his worth to the point where I don't think it would be worth what they would be giving up.

Jacksonville - People may disagree, because Watson is a proven commodity, but I think Trevor Lawrence can become just as good, and like the case with San Diego, being on a rookie deal helps a lot for now.

Houston - This is the team who should be thinking about trading him less than anyone!  You just don't get better when you get rid of players of Watson's caliber - especially at the QB position.

Bills, Ravens, Bengals, Cardinals

26 minutes ago, Tk3 said:

okay, okay.. so there is a little bit of cap relief

Is there enough to go after an Allen Robinson for example? Or something to really help the team? pff only has them with enough room to sign Keanu Neal and retain Conley lol. Where is your running game then? How do you fix the bottom 3 defense?

You don't, simply put. 2021 is another 4-12 season (unless you can find a HC and coaching staff who can maximize production with minimal talent - Selah, Brady come to mind).

Next season, you continue shedding bad cap (Cobb, Mercilius, Murray) restructure some deals (Tunsil) and start the true rebuild - with a full compliment of picks, too.

Don't get me wrong - I am generally of the opinion that if you have an elite QB under contract, you don't look to move him. But if he wants out AND you have no prospects to build around him, I don't see the option

I think a lot of his "wanting out" can be mitigated by the right HC; Bring in someone who can rebuild that relationship, and it's back to BAU.

It's not easy - but it's doable.

I just don't know how you waste those dead years in the prime of Watson's career. If he was happy there, then I think you take your lumps and rebuild around him - but if he's going to start having issues (and to be fair to him, he SHOULD have issues with the way the org treated him), then idk if I'd still make that call

Here's one thing I'll say - probably the most anti-Watson thing I'll say - but he's here for the next 5-7 years. He's got no say in the matter. 

I'm not worried about him becoming a malcontent or missing games, because that's not his makeup. He might skip a few TCs, but come Regular Season, he's going to suit up and play full bore. He doesn't know how to play otherwise.

22 minutes ago, Tk3 said:

Bills, Ravens, Bengals, Cardinals

I agree with you on the Bills.  You might be right about the Bengals, just because the lost picks probably wouldn't make up for what Watson adds over what they have with Burrow (and his rookie contract).  Watson is a big enough upgrade over Jackson and Murray that I would be willing to give up a decent amount to get him if I were Baltimore or Arizona.  Fans of those teams may disagree with me on that, and I would respect their opinion.  It's just my opinion.  Watson is REALLY good.

11 minutes ago, Uncle Buck said:

I agree with you on the Bills.  You might be right about the Bengals, just because the lost picks probably wouldn't make up for what Watson adds over what they have with Burrow (and his rookie contract).  Watson is a big enough upgrade over Jackson and Murray that I would be willing to give up a decent amount to get him if I were Baltimore or Arizona.  Fans of those teams may disagree with me on that, and I would respect their opinion.  It's just my opinion.  Watson is REALLY good.

Nah we're good. 

Edited by SalvadorsDeli
  • Like 1

33 minutes ago, Uncle Buck said:

I mean Ravens are 30-7 with Lamar under center not really sure why everyone is knocking him. He is not conventional but the team still wins. Also why would Arizona pass on Murray that is going on year 3 of his rookie deal to pay someone 150 mil?

2 minutes ago, soflbillsfan said:

I mean Ravens are 30-7 with Lamar under center not really sure why everyone is knocking him. He is not conventional but the team still wins. Also why would Arizona pass on Murray that is going on year 3 of his rookie deal to pay someone 150 mil?

This whole conversation might be a good conversation for it's own thread.

3 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

The real comedy lies in the replies.    Good grief.  

I thought the initial tweet was the real comedy. Looking at all these offers from NFL fans for their franchise to land a talent like Watson, makes me believe that we have an entire NFL fan base of BoB’s (In terms of ignorance) 

Edited by Nick_gb
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Nick_gb said:

I thought the initial tweet was the real comedy. Looking at all these offers from NFL fans for their franchise to land a talent like Watson, makes me believe that we have an entire NFL fan base of BoB’s (In terms of ignorance) 

I didn’t think the OP was legit.  Until I saw the replies.  

Edited by Broncofan