Deshaun Watson requests trade

49ersfan

I would take a block buster trade were I Texans.    

A) They are already bad with him. 

B) They have no first or second round pick in 2021 so it will be hard to get better from where they are currently at.

Take a ton of picks for '21 and '22 and good big man player on a reasonable contract and dump a bad contract.

You would have hope and a chance at least.   

Cowboys built a mini-dynasty in 90s primarily on 1 big trade and 1 more year of being bad.  

4 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

A) They are already bad with him. 

Eight of their 12 losses were by one score or less. Many of them were on the last play/drive of the game. Both divisional matchups vs Tennessee and Indianapolis came down to the final 1-2 plays - if about five plays total go the Texans' way instead of against the Texans, they're 6-0 in the division (a division with two playoff teams).

This team isn't great, but it's not as bad as the record reflects. With competent coaching (not Romeo Crennell, mind you) this team could be at 9-7 or better.

95% of that is Watson, but that's what a QB of this calibur can do for you.

7 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

B) They have no first or second round pick in 2021 so it will be hard to get better from where they are currently at.

They still have eight picks in this draft and a full compliment of picks in 2022. With a new coaching staff (one that isn't Romeo Crennell or Bill O'Brien) who knows what's needed to become "better"? 

We've seen teams completely flip following a coaching and scheme change. Why is that not possible here? This team is a year removed from 11-5, and only really lost Hopkins from that team - which didn't really impact the scoring and passing capabilities (Texans PPG stayed relatively the same from last season to this season).

10 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

Cowboys built a mini-dynasty in 90s primarily on 1 big trade and 1 more year of being bad.  

But that one big trade was for an aging Herschel Walker, not a 25 year old QB entering his prime.

Aside from the fact this is Florio who has never really been that spot-on and seems to be in line with the crowd that regularly puts up the "MATT STAFFORD COULD REQUEST TRADE?!?!" crowd that appears every offseason, believing this report is really stupid.

I can't speak for Deshaun's personality exactly, he is well known for being insanely loyal, declared to then-mediocre Clemson as a sophomore in 2012, went and defended Bill O'Brien to Texans ownership after the Chiefs game and clearly cares about this city but it just doesn't make sense to me unless Deshaun is truly, truly fed up which, if he wants to give up after one bad year, he can go.

No player signs a contract that big when he could get something similar if not higher on the open market, after his best friend is traded, the coach that destroyed his possible SB run gets promoted to GM and the "boogeyman" Easterby is walking around the locker room still and according to the SI report, treating players miserably and then, as soon as we sign a competent GM that can actually sort our mess out, the reaction is "Oh no... this is going down hill, time to request a trade!"

https://www.si.com/nfl/texans/news/rumors-aside-houston-texans-arent-trading-deshaun-watson SI chewed the rumor up and called Florio out straight away for his bad reporting. Falls short of most journalist standards, if this was true, it'd be the biggest NFL story of the year but because of one tweet about Jacob Blake, we're all being duped like we are every year lol.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, SmittyBacall said:

How did I wake up to my twitter feed littered with Deshaun Watson in different uniforms overnight?

Did he request a trade? How did this start?

media pretending he is asking for a trade, all texans insiders, all texans related media have confirmed otherwise

2 minutes ago, SmittyBacall said:

How did I wake up to my twitter feed littered with Deshaun Watson in different uniforms overnight?

Did he request a trade? How did this start?

...you just woke up, bud?

Third shift? Or late night?

I'm not so sure Watson would request a trade. He seems like a loyal guy to a fault at times...kinda like KG on the Twolves...which didn't turn out so well for him. Anyway, if he does request a trade, I think it's funny that so many here insist that 2 firsts + some mid-late rounders or a decent player isn't enough. Haven't there been exactly 0 trades ever in the NFL that included 3 or more 1st rounders. I truly think it's never been done. Mack just got 2 firsts a couple years ago and he was the best, maybe you could argue 2nd at his position (Watson isn't, though he might have the potential to). Look, I like Watson as much as the next guy, but being real...2 firsts would be completely fair given the history of the league.

1 hour ago, Dbrog24 said:

Anyway, if he does request a trade, I think it's funny that so many here insist that 2 firsts + some mid-late rounders or a decent player isn't enough

To be fair - we've never seen a top 5 QB entering his prime ever hit the market in this fashion. (Allegedly, this is still speculation at best).

Once upon a time, WFT traded three first round picks and a 2nd round picks for the rights to draft Robert Griffin III with the #2 pick of the 2012 draft. That clearly didn't work out, but it's a similar premise - WFT paid handsomely for the opportunity to get a young QB who could change the makeup of the entire organization.

The difference here? You know Watson isn't going to bust like Griffin did (even after a serious knee injury). The risk associated is mitigated in this scenario.

So... RGIII might be the benchmark, tbh.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, ET80 said:

To be fair - we've never seen a top 5 QB entering his prime ever hit the market in this fashion. (Allegedly, this is still speculation at best).

Once upon a time, WFT traded three first round picks and a 2nd round picks for the rights to draft Robert Griffin III with the #2 pick of the 2012 draft. That clearly didn't work out, but it's a similar premise - WFT paid handsomely for the opportunity to get a young QB who could change the makeup of the entire organization.

The difference here? You know Watson isn't going to bust like Griffin did (even after a serious knee injury). The risk associated is mitigated in this scenario.

So... RGIII might be the benchmark, tbh.

That's definitely fair. Didn't realize that one had 3 first rounders involved. To your point, if this were to happen it is abnormal so it would be difficult to gauge. Ultimately though, like in the NBA, I think the team's bargaining chips lessen if a player wants out bad enough. A player of Watson's level can cause a lot of havoc inside an organization should he really want to with things like negative lockerroom impact or even potentially sitting out games. In those cases, it's best if teams just get the best haul possible (which would still be a lot). TBH...I see this scenario more likely to escalate with Watt rather than Watson.

Edited by Dbrog24
  • Like 1