Deshaun Watson requests trade

49ersfan

9 minutes ago, .Buzz said:

All I'm saying is his agent is the same is Jalen. The guy who faked a back injury, went to the media, etc. to force our hand.

Jalen had much less in terms of years left on his deal, so he could take a gambit such as that. Watson is committed for the next five years, and missing games = losing money, even if he faked an injury. A lot of his bonuses are tied to workouts, roster bonuses, etc - faking an injury eats away at that.

Unless Watson has Mughaletta covering any lost earnings, it's really tough to ask someone to miss out on literal millions. This isn't a rookie deal he's signed to - this is the 2nd biggest contract in NFL history.

9 minutes ago, .Buzz said:

If anything from that Mort report is true about sitting out than although it may not be likely, not sure how you can say he'll still continue doing his thing and put his head down.

I've looked at that Mort tweet - I see references to playing hardball, but nothing to sitting out? As said before, there's a lot of money (and league supplied benefits - pension, health insurance, etc) that Watson's stands to lose if he did.

That's a massive risk, not the same as Jalen Ramsey who was on his first contract.

3 minutes ago, .Buzz said:

Again, why continue piling on to a package no one else is touching value wise?

Jets can offer 2nd overall++ I guess, but they also have to be willing to do that and you'd have to spend probably that 2nd overall pick on a QB instead of having Tua+building block at 3. Guess it depends which you'd prefer.

SF, CHI, etc. aren't touching what either of those teams can offer.

because its going to have to be a major haul to get a franchise QB.

1 minute ago, Texansfan713 said:

because its going to have to be a major haul to get a franchise QB.

I think Watson is awesome (Mahomes without weapons to an extent), but would you seriously not consider something like;

option a) Tua + 3rd overall pick which you could turn into Sewell or Chase or something to enhance Tua + next year's 1st + 2nd round pick 2020 where you can address defense

option b) Continue as you are with Watson

?

5 minutes ago, .Buzz said:

Again, why continue piling on to a package no one else is touching value wise?

Because the Texans have the advantage in this situation. The extension isn't the same as moving a player on a rookie deal.

All things considered... Texans could tell Watson to pound sand and send him off with the signature page of his contract as proof he's got no leg to stand on. Sure, Watson would be livid, but he's got no real recourse outside of posting on Twitter. Missing TC and Preseason is an option, but less impact is probably a good thing.

1 minute ago, .Buzz said:

I would say Tua, a top 3 pick, another 1st in this draft, and either a 2 or a 1st next year is indeed a haul.

I'd like to see Miami taking on some bad Texans contracts too - Mercilius, Cobb, Murray.

Not that I'd be around to watch.

4 minutes ago, ET80 said:

Because the Texans have the advantage in this situation. The extension isn't the same as moving a player on a rookie deal.

All things considered... Texans could tell Watson to pound sand and send him off with the signature page of his contract as proof he's got no leg to stand on. Sure, Watson would be livid, but he's got no real recourse outside of posting on Twitter. Missing TC and Preseason is an option, but less impact is probably a good thing.

I disagree but we'll see what happens. We've seen what players who really want out can do. The contract makes things murkier but I still wouldn't be so sure.

3 minutes ago, .Buzz said:

I disagree but we'll see what happens. We've seen what players who really want out can do. The contract makes things murkier but I still wouldn't be so sure.

I'm sincerely thinking of an instance where a player was moved with multiple years (4+) on their deal left. Odell Beckham, perhaps? 

3 minutes ago, ET80 said:

I'm sincerely thinking of an instance where a player was moved with multiple years (4+) on their deal left. Odell Beckham, perhaps? 

Not many. Things just seem to be changing as far as player power goes I feel like with social media.

None of us know how upset Watson really is/if he truly wants out. I'm just saying.

10 minutes ago, .Buzz said:

Not many. Things just seem to be changing as far as player power goes I feel like with social media.

None of us know how upset Watson really is/if he truly wants out. I'm just saying.

Its coming from multiple different sources now about how unhappy he is. This definitely has some legs. But the Texans may have a chance to fix this with the HC hire.

Just now, 49ersfan said:

Its coming from multiple different sources now about how unhappy he is. This definitely has some legs. But the Texans may have a chance to fix this with the HC hire.

I mean, Josina Anderson who I believe probably has a good read on the situation from Deshauns side said he's on vacation and hasn't talked about a trade at all, so...

7 minutes ago, amazingandre said:

We are not trading Watson for Tua, no matter how many draft picks you throw in. 

What's he being moved for if he indeed does? A mid round 1st and late 1sts the next couple years from the team going on playoff runs with Watson? Just picks in general?

Just now, .Buzz said:

I mean, Josina Anderson who I believe probably has a good read on the situation from Deshauns side said he's on vacation and hasn't talked about a trade at all, so...

What's he being moved for if he indeed does? A mid round 1st and late 1sts the next couple years from the team going on playoff runs with Watson? Just picks in general?

There is no value in return that is worth trading Watson. You force him to play for you and hope you can mend the fence. Hell you tag him as many times as necessary and you keep him for the next 5-6 years. No rookie is worth his proven talent.