Deshaun Watson requests trade

49ersfan

21 minutes ago, ET80 said:

I think it's less about the GM... more about the culture coach.

Nick Caserio could be an excellent addition, I don't know - but Jack Easterby has repeatedly been brought up in a negative light, and Deshaun Watson has openly criticized the culture in Houston, and - outside of saying "Jack Easterby has gotta go," - he's dropped a ton of press saying that Jack Easterby has gotta go.

Caserio has a huge decision in front of him - does he fire the guy who made him GM in Houston, or does he trade away a franchise defining QB in his prime? I personally think the decision is obvious. But, my word is worth nothing in this drama.

All I know is I need a lot of alcohol.

I m completely in the dark when it comes to Houston organizational structure.

However, if I m Caserio who really had limited or no authority to roster or coaching staff in NE, why would I go to a similiar position in Houston?  I get the argument there are only 32 jobs, but I would be skeptical only Houston would be knocking on his door.   I would assume he has more authority in Houston by a wide margin.  

Again, I could completely be way off base.

Edited by ravishingone
  • Like 1

Just now, ravishingone said:

I m completely in the dark when it comes to organizational structure.

However, if I m Caserio who really had limited or no authority to roster or coaching staff in NE, why would I go to a similiar position in Houston?  I get the argument there are only 32 jobs, but I would be skeptical only Houston would be knocking on his door.   I would assume he has more authority in Houston by a wide margin.  

Again, I could completely be way off base.

I totally agree on your points on Caserio.

Here's an article on Easterby:

https://www.si.com/nfl/2020/12/10/ex-chaplain-jack-easterby-houston-texans-chaos-after-power-struggle-daily-cover

There are a few things in here that mean towards overt racism - I can imagine Watson's not a fan of that.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, tyler735 said:

Wish Bill O'Brien was still in charge. Could definitely see a Deshaun Watson for Taysom Hill trade not being off the table if he was.

I wouldn't mind Watson in New Orleans. San Francisco, too.

This discussion does confirm that Watson >>> Texans in my mind. If he's traded, I'm following him, and I'm certain I'm not the only Texans fan who'd go this way (my 12 person Fantasy league based in Houston is unanimous in feeling this way as well...)

• Like 4

I mean, I’m almost always players-first... but Watson signed a long-term contract despite the fact everyone saw how dysfunctional the situation was. 

Obviously smarter to take the security of the contract but as a result he’s stuck himself in this situation. Ain’t no way the Texans would trade him for anything less than 3 1st round picks (and then some). Just hard for me to feel bad for him when it was clear-as-day this team had deep-rooted issues, between lack of draft capital and subpar (to say the least) front office decisions.

Edited by iknowcool
  • Like 5

I doubt it happens and it is all talk but I think the niners need to go all in on this, I am not sure how the finances will come off on both sides as money should be involved in order to get it done but the 12th pick, 2022 1st rd pick and Jimmy G should be the move. The NFC West would then have Goff, Wilson, Murray, and Watson which would be crazy fun to watch. Jimmy G will give the team flexibility with cap on his contract and they will also get a decent return in picks to help rebuild the organization the way Easterby clearly wants. Wouldn't surprise me if McDaniels would get an interview for the HC job to make it the official new Patriots. Again do not see this happening and it is just a slow news day for people to write about as they have no idea who the new HC is but it would definitely be in Watson best interest if he ends up not being a part of the hiring process. What people say and do are two different things. I know there are articles out there that say that he will be involved but there was also the whole idea of having a 3rd party committee to find a GM and that was completely thrown out the window.

3 minutes ago, iknowcool said:

I mean, I’m almost always players-first... but Watson signed a long-term contract despite the fact everyone saw how dysfunctional the situation was. 

But, what was/is his recourse if he DIDN'T take it? He plays his 5th year, then is franchise tagged for... how long? Two years? Three years? Five years?

What sort of risk does he take at that point, ESPECIALLY given the abuse he takes behind the Texans OL?

• Like 6

1 minute ago, SmittyBacall said:

God, I would hate that. However, it would be the only way we’d ever see a, “Is Deshaun Watson the best QB in the NFL?” thread. 

You'd have to argue AGAINST me, too.

You don't want that hot sauce, bby.

• Like 2

Only other thing I can think of with Watson - he's not happy that Chiefs OC Eric Bienemy hasn't been interviewed. 

The Texans are the only team that hasn't met with Bienemy at this point - and (if I had to guess) that's an Easterby decision, given Bienemy's past (and that Bienemy isn't going to eat the crap that Easterby is shoveling).