Deshaun Watson requests trade

49ersfan

6 hours ago, ET80 said:

Well, yeah... That's true. But the dysfunction goes much deeper than bad coaching.

When you have a completely unqualified, judgemental preacher trying to push his morality on a locker room full of adult millionaires - and literally nobody is trying to stop him - you have bigger issues than bad coaching.

"his morality" - are you saying he is pushing religion? Or basic general population mortality? 

If its religion, do you have any proof?

21 minutes ago, Matts4313 said:

"his morality" - are you saying he is pushing religion? Or basic general population mortality? 

If its religion, do you have any proof?

Here’s the key passage from the SI.com report: “Easterby had made a habit of asking coworkers to take his hand and pray for wisdom when making workplace decisions. He often did so with people who reported to him; some felt they had no choice but to oblige, even if this made them uncomfortable. McNair, though, strongly identifies with Easterby’s Christian faith. The two were among the last people to leave NRG Stadium the night of the season-ending loss. And, according to multiple members of the organization, with the biggest decision for the franchise’s future looming — who would lead the team moving forward — word spread throughout the building that Easterby and McNair prayed for enlightenment.”

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Matts4313 said:

Sounds like Easterwhateverhisnameis is in the right and Watson is a big spoiled whiney B. 

(ducks and runs - trollol. I dont mean it)

*Shrug*

I don't care anymore. As long as Tommy Boy McNair is in charge with his succubus, it doesn't matter.

Easterby is there for the rest of his life. Watson is out as soon as he's traded or his contract runs dry.

1 minute ago, ET80 said:

*Shrug*

I don't care anymore. As long as Tommy Boy McNair is in charge with his succubus, it doesn't matter.

Easterby is there for the rest of his life. Watson is out as soon as he's traded or his contract runs dry.

The article you just gave me said they almost fired the dude already. What makes you think he is a lifer?

56 minutes ago, Matts4313 said:

The article you just gave me said they almost fired the dude already. What makes you think he is a lifer?

Because they haven't fired him. And - after Andre Johnson and Deshaun Watson lambast the guy - he's still there. Cal even went as far to take the blame himself - what billionaire owner have you ever heard say "Oh, don't get mad at him, it's MY fault," in any sport? The depths that Cal has taken to keep Easterby (despite there being multiple opportunities to let him go - up to and including lying on his resume) he's made excuse to excuse to justify his presence - without actually saying what he does.

At this point, even if Easterby is fired - I can't trust Cal to make a correction decision anymore. His take on this is absolutely horrendous, he's got zero business sense, he's completely tone deaf to this ongoing dumpster fire and he has no clarify on what makes a good football team. Cal talks a lot about "alignment" but I don't think he knows what that word means, because there is absolutely zero alignment to this franchise.

It's beaten the passion out of me. I feel like I've been beaten with a tire iron, it's exhausting to hear and think about this and know there's no end in sight.

The only real solution at this point - Cal has to sell the team. He's running it into the ground.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, NYRaider said:

Actually there's a ton he can do and he has all the leverage in the world at this point, especially with the no trade clause that was put in place during his extension. That $40M/yr contract doesn't come into effect until the 2022 season. So if the Texans won't move him he can sit out the entire season without missing out on one of those massive years in his deal. Not to mention Watson and his team publicly criticizing the Texans leadership is such a black eye for the organization, especially when they have very few assets to improve the team this offseason. Because let's say they do just hold onto him and he refuses to play, it creates so many internal/culture issues within the organization going forward. And even when they do have cap space I can't imagine guys will be lining up to sign with them with how the Watson saga is playing out and with former players such as Andre Johnson/Hopkins also criticizing Houston's leadership. Not to mention other guys that are currently on the roster have anonymously leaked that they support Watson's decision to want out and understand why he wants to be traded. 

That no trade clause also gives Watson all the leverage in the world because when/if they do decide to trade him he can more or less force his way to any team that he wants to be traded too. 

Ok, so he sits out and picks up fines or he can be an adult and play.

42 minutes ago, biggie. said:

Ok, so he sits out and picks up fines or he can be an adult and play.

While I agree with your assessment on sitting out not being a real option, I absolutely disagree with Watson not being an adult in this process.

Since his rookie season, the Texans have been failing him - by not building a complimentary unit around him (OL, defense, run game) and then trading away a significant amount of future resources to try to jumpstart those complimentary pieces. Pretty much every attempt has been a failure, but what has Watson done? He's kept quiet, supported his teammates (who were failing) supported his coaches (who were failing) and supporting "the process" that Cal McNair signed off on (which was failing).

Those failures finally culminated with a 4-12 disaster of a season - what did Watson do in that season? Put up MVP level numbers (4,800/33/7 70% completion rate) and watch week after week of the defense give the game away, or a guy who was not DeAndre Hopkins drop or fumble the game away. What does he do? Double down on his commitment by telling the owner "I want to help, I want to look into GMs and HCs who will build Houston into a winner..." In his last interview, he flat out said "We need a culture shift" which is pretty damning to the guy who was brought in to build th culture. I mean, if Watson said "We need an offensive shift" what do you think he's saying about the OC? Probably not a good designation, wouldn't you say? So, that comment was directed towards Easterby.

So, what happens? Not only is the guy Watson doesn't like not fired, but that same guy gets to pick the GM, even after the owner says "You're part of this decision".

So, if you put it all together - you have an elite QB, a guy who has been sacked more than any other QB in history over his first three seasons, a guy who watched his favorite WR traded for nothing, a guy who sat there as the team nearly traded away his 2nd favorite WR for nothing, a guy who watched a bad defense give up lead after lead, a guy who went to bat for a HC who was way over his head, a guy who was assured he'd be part of the process in looking for the HC/GM...

...and you choose to LIE to that guy about the most important decision the franchise is going to make in his career? And you call HIM the child in this equation?

If I was Watson, I'd be pissed too. If you think Watson is being unreasonable, you simply haven't paid attention to the Texans since 2017.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, NYRaider said:

What do you think they'll get?

I think there's only 2 teams who have the assets to get it done: the Jets and Dolphins.  I think they're going to take their top pick (#2 and #3 respectively), a FRP next year, and a SRP the year after that.  Plus, I think you're also including Sam Darnold/Tua Tagovailola as well.  If you think the Rosen trade is the barometer for Tua/Darnold's value, that's a SRP this year.  So you're getting two FRPs and a SRP, but there's probably more to the equation.

• Like 1

Just now, CWood21 said:

I think there's only 2 teams who have the assets to get it done: the Jets and Dolphins.  I think they're going to take their top pick (#2 and #3 respectively), a FRP next year, and a SRP the year after that.  Plus, I think you're also including Sam Darnold/Tua Tagovailola as well.  If you think the Rosen trade is the barometer for Tua/Darnold's value, that's a SRP this year.  So you're getting two FRPs and a SRP, but there's probably more to the equation.

Agree that these are the two most likely to get it done if they want. However, I won't put it past some crazy GM / HC who are completely desperate to make some random move. I'm not sure how they would make it work, but I could just see someone like Pace go completely nuts and give like 4 firsts and 2 seconds and like a player lol

21 minutes ago, Forge said:

Agree that these are the two most likely to get it done if they want. However, I won't put it past some crazy GM / HC who are completely desperate to make some random move. I'm not sure how they would make it work, but I could just see someone like Pace go completely nuts and give like 4 firsts and 2 seconds and like a player lol

Agreed.

32 minutes ago, ET80 said:

While I agree with your assessment on sitting out not being a real option, I absolutely disagree with Watson not being an adult in this process.

Since his rookie season, the Texans have been failing him - by not building a complimentary unit around him (OL, defense, run game) and then trading away a significant amount of future resources to try to jumpstart those complimentary pieces. Pretty much every attempt has been a failure, but what has Watson done? He's kept quiet, supported his teammates (who were failing) supported his coaches (who were failing) and supporting "the process" that Cal McNair signed off on (which was failing).

Those failures finally culminated with a 4-12 disaster of a season - what did Watson do in that season? Put up MVP level numbers (4,800/33/7 70% completion rate) and watch week after week of the defense give the game away, or a guy who was not DeAndre Hopkins drop or fumble the game away. What does he do? Double down on his commitment by telling the owner "I want to help, I want to look into GMs and HCs who will build Houston into a winner..." In his last interview, he flat out said "We need a culture shift" which is pretty damning to the guy who was brought in to build th culture. I mean, if Watson said "We need an offensive shift" what do you think he's saying about the OC? Probably not a good designation, wouldn't you say? So, that comment was directed towards Easterby.

So, what happens? Not only is the guy Watson doesn't like not fired, but that same guy gets to pick the GM, even after the owner says "You're part of this decision".

So, if you put it all together - you have an elite QB, a guy who has been sacked more than any other QB in history over his first three seasons, a guy who watched his favorite WR traded for nothing, a guy who sat there as the team nearly traded away his 2nd favorite WR for nothing, a guy who watched a bad defense give up lead after lead, a guy who went to bat for a HC who was way over his head, a guy who was assured he'd be part of the process in looking for the HC/GM...

...and you choose to LIE to that guy about the most important decision the franchise is going to make in his career? And you call HIM the child in this equation?

If I was Watson, I'd be pissed too. If you think Watson is being unreasonable, you simply haven't paid attention to the Texans since 2017.

Not saying he has to be happy with it, but people making significantly less money put up with toxic work environments until they find something else. That's life.