Deshaun Watson requests trade

49ersfan

3 minutes ago, biggie. said:

Not saying he has to be happy with it, but people making significantly less money put up with toxic work environments until they find something else. That's life.

The flaw here is that you're treating him as though he's a normal person. You don't have to sympathize with him or anything, but it's not apples to apples to compare him to a normal joe. The fact of the matter is that his situation isn't the same as the people making significantly less money to put up with toxic work environments. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Forge said:

The flaw here is that you're treating him as though he's a normal person. You don't have to sympathize with him or anything, but it's not apples to apples to compare him to a normal joe. The fact of the matter is that his situation isn't the same as the people making significantly less money to put up with toxic work environments. 

If we can put up with it, so can he.

Just now, biggie. said:

His only options are sit out and get fined or play and make money. His choice.

Or he can use his platform to make a crazy stink about the team and the front office until they feel the best option is to trade him just to be done with the distraction and then he can play, get his money, and not be on the Texans. He just has to be willing to force their hand and see if they blink first. 

12 minutes ago, biggie. said:

Not saying he has to be happy with it, but people making significantly less money put up with toxic work environments until they find something else. That's life.

You can't compare this to "the real world". Most (if not all) people will work into their 60s, retiring right before they hit their 70s.

Watson, and any other football player? Earning potential pretty much comes to a halt at 35. Guys like Brady, Brees - exceedingly rare. So, the window to earn is incredibly small. Life after football isn't exactly guarenteed, as there are only so many gigs at ESPN you can look into.

So, "putting up" with toxic work environments impacts him significantly. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, biggie. said:

If we can put up with it, so can he.

No, because we're not the ones getting hit - and, as a person living in Houston, I can tell you that the "we" that matters to the Texans isn't exactly putting up with it.

6 minutes ago, Forge said:

Or he can use his platform to make a crazy stink about the team and the front office until they feel the best option is to trade him just to be done with the distraction and then he can play, get his money, and not be on the Texans. He just has to be willing to force their hand and see if they blink first. 

Well that would be awfully professional on his part. If hebwants to make a stink about it, the team could just mess with him and refuse to trade him just to piss him off.

4 minutes ago, biggie. said:

Well that would be awfully professional on his part. If hebwants to make a stink about it, the team could just mess with him and refuse to trade him just to piss him off.

Because that's awfully professional... An organization "pissing off" a single person, just because.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, biggie. said:

You think him making that kind of stink about a clearly dysfunctional organization is going to be something that other teams hold against him? Nope. Teams will be lining up in droves to see if they can acquire him. 

Nobody denies that in the end the team has to blink. But a lot of teams will. Others have been in this situation before and gotten their way. 

• Like 1

Just now, Forge said:

Would go over really well with other players and potential players

Caserio: So, we really think you're a great fit for us, Richard Sherman. So, how about joining our family?

Sherman: It sounds good. So, what's going on with Watson?

Cal: *snort* Oh man, were totally getting into his head! Look at that tweet, he's PISSED! 

Sherman: Um... You're doing this to your best player? What's to say you wouldn't do that to me?

Caserio/Cal: Um... Uh... Um...

Sherman: Got it, thanks. Good chat, I'm going to take some time to think about this...

Easterby: Wait, WAIT! Let's join hands and pray on this... C'mon, hold my hand... Rick, hold my hand please...

Sherman: Nah, I'm... I'm good, thanks. (Leaves the room).

Easterby: ...well, I dunno about you guys, but he CLEARLY doesn't fit our culture.

• Like 2

Whether or not Watson should be voicing more than anger, I don't know how ppl think McNair & Easterby are anything but poorly-to-unqualified, tone-deaf guys running a clown show at this stage.

Realizing the Forum rules - my take from the above is this - if we think going by the eye test and ignoring metrics is outdated and antiquated, and out of touch with optimal football on-the-field decision-making.....I don't know how the above is any more reassuring that HOU isn't completely out of touch on how to run the org off-the-field.   It's one thing to rely on faith/gut instinct....ideally, I'd like my GM decision to be literally more than on a wing and a prayer.

Edited by Broncofan
  • Like 1