Deshaun Watson requests trade

49ersfan

9 minutes ago, TakeTheBallDeep said:

I haven't read this thread in awhile but would a 3 team trade be possible? Something like the following...its not perfect I know but you get the idea

Jets trade Sam Darnold to the 49ers

49ers trade Jimmy G and a 2rd to the Texans

Texans trade Watson to the Jets for the two first round picks this year plus a 2nd and a 1st next year

Again I know I am probably off on compensation but what are you thoughts? Could be any 3 teams including the Texans

That's what I've been saying would have to happen since I can't see Darnold going to HOU with them getting the #2.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, .Buzz said:

Again, never said JD did that. But he's an unproven commodity himself, and prior to that the Jets failed to bring in talent to help Darnold. Last year the talent brought in to help was pretty underwhelming too.

Maybe NYJ ends up getting him, but there's no way you can argue he'd be high on his list of destinations as things sit right now. Him listing Saleh as a guy to interview doesn't mean much lol.

I agree that we are likely not high on his list. But I think relative interest is meaningless in this situation. It’s all binary. Would Watson approve of a trade to the Jets? Yes or no? If yes, then we become close to a front runner since we can offer the number 2 pick. This all depends on what Houston thinks of Wilson, Fields, and Tua.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, SDotNova said:

The 49ers are most definitely a destination for Watson. It’s just that y’all won’t be able to offer Houston nearly as much. The no trade clause can only go so far. SF is too far down. As far as I see it, Houston would be better off trading with Miami or NYJ. Then it’s up to Watson. The Jets #2 is much better than Miami’s #3 since Houston will be able to pick the best of the non Lawrence QBs. But if Watson says no to NY, then Houston is in a pickle.

We have to hope that 1, the Texans don't want to trade him in the conference, and 2, Watson specifically has the Niners high on his list. Otherwise, you're right, we can't compete with Miami/NYJ in terms of picks & players.

Edited by 49ersfan

11 minutes ago, TakeTheBallDeep said:

I haven't read this thread in awhile but would a 3 team trade be possible? Something like the following...its not perfect I know but you get the idea

Texans trade Watson to the Jets for the two first round picks this year plus a 2nd and a 1st next year

Again I know I am probably off on compensation but what are you thoughts? Could be any 3 teams including the Texans

I find it unlikely that the niners move off Jimmy unless it's a clear improvement, or via the draft.  Cost efficiency improvement doesn't seem likely to be a thing, especially since nobody knows if darnold can actually play

3 minutes ago, Forge said:

I find it unlikely that the niners move off Jimmy unless it's a clear improvement, or via the draft.  Cost efficiency improvement doesn't seem likely to be a thing, especially since nobody knows if darnold can actually play

That is kinda what I thought after I posted, they would obviously be more likely to move off Jimmy G if they had a chance to get Stafford or someone of that caliber

1 hour ago, ET80 said:

*Shrug*

Watson is joining a contender. That's not NYJ.

If the Jets are steadfast on landing Watson, reality is there are few teams that could compete - Miami being the only realistic option that comes to mind.

I get Watson has input here, but I can't envision a scenario in which the Texans wind up accepting pennies on the dollar to appease their departing star. Let's say the Jets blow away the field - do the Texans roll over, or give Watson the NY or nowhere ultimatum? 

38 minutes ago, TakeTheBallDeep said:

Why the hell would the Niners give up Jimmy and a 2nd for Darnold? 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, jetjuice said:

Contract perhaps, but that probably still isn't rational for the 9ers. It would require more moving parts.

Contract means nothing. Jimmy can be cut with minimal dead money. You don't trade Jimmy and a 2nd for a QB who may not even be better. Terrible trade for 49ers and one that never happens. 

If 49ers want Watson then it can’t happen without trading Bosa. Watson would have to decline going to teams like Miami or NYJ and that's not happening.