Jump to content

Deshaun Watson requests trade


Recommended Posts

27 minutes ago, Kiwibrown said:

Jimmy and a 1 and a 2 for watson?

They hire McDaniels everyone is happy.

Not anywhere near enough

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, ET80 said:

So, this becomes the story of the off-season - where does Watson go?

Miami still makes the most sense from an asset perspective. The question is, would Houston cut down their own return to keep him from places they don't want him to be? Like, would they exclude a talented team like Miami because they are in the AFC? But by doing that and limiting your pool to the NFC, highly likely that you're not going to get the return that you deserve. I don't think that they would do that, but I've seen FOs do weirder things if we are going to be honest and it wouldn't be unprecedented 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

It would be great if the 49ers could get Watson. A pipe dream most likely. 

My proposal: 

Jimmy G

Nick Bosa

2021 1st

2022 1st

 

Nick Bosa is also on his rookie deal. Although he is coming off an ACL. Jimmy has had his problems, but can be a decent player. Jimmy has a no-trade clause in his contract I think though, so I'm not sure how that would work out. 

Edited by TecmoSuperJoe
Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, Kiwibrown said:

Jimmy and a 1 and a 2 for watson?

They hire McDaniels everyone is happy.

The Houston Texans wouldn't take anything less than a first for Will Fuller. What makes you think this would satisfy them? 

Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Drained said:

If we trade Watson then the Tunsil trade was completely useless, same with the DHop trade. This organization has slid so much since the highs of 2018/2019. It's insane.

Not going to lie...I'll be curious if they trade Tunsil at that point if they are trading Watt / Watson. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Forge said:

Miami still makes the most sense from an asset perspective. The question is, would Houston cut down their own return to keep him from places they don't want him to be? Like, would they exclude a talented team like Miami because they are in the AFC? But by doing that and limiting your pool to the NFC, highly likely that you're not going to get the return that you deserve. I don't think that they would do that, but I've seen FOs do weirder things if we are going to be honest and it wouldn't be unprecedented 

Definitely, Easterby and McNair were in on the Hopkins trade. They had better offers but they were in the AFC. Watson isn't going to Miami and because of a no-trade cause, Watson gets the final say on where he goes but that doesn't mean he gets all the leverage.

If Watson sits out and refuses to play, we make all the money back we are spending on his contract. I truly think the team would rather him sit out than trade him, 26 million dollars in dead cap for a team that is over the cap isn't something you want. Honestly with how the new NFLPA is, he could sit out the entire next season and we could eat NO dead cap, get a top 3 pick and be better prepared AND THEN trade him for a kings ransom. This is what I'd prefer.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

The only reason I have not truly given up on the Houston Texans yet is because I know aside from Jack Easterby, that Nick Caserio is not gonna want to play moneyball with this. If this was under the old NFLPA, we'd be screwed but if we go into the season without trading Watson (which like I said, 26 million cap hit so...), he has more reasons to play than not to play especially if we hired a HC he likes, brought back teammates he liked and tried to accommodate him.

As soon as I see the headline "Watson traded to ____" then I'm done.

Edited by Drained
  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, Forge said:

Not going to lie...I'll be curious if they trade Tunsil at that point if they are trading Watt / Watson. 

It's the most logical outcome - Tunsil was brought in for the sole purpose of Watson. 

If Watson is gone, no need to keep Tunsil around.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, 49ersfan said:

The 2021 league year doesn't start until March 17....trades cant become official until then. 

We've still got 2 long months to go

Teams can talk trade before that though. Not sure when they can "officially" talk trades, but there are trades completed prior to the new league year every year. The SF - KC trade for Alex Smith for example happened two weeks prior to the league year starting. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, ET80 said:

It's the most logical outcome - Tunsil was brought in for the sole purpose of Watson. 

If Watson is gone, no need to keep Tunsil around.

I'm sure it would be terrible to try to protect the new, young QB

/s

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Tk3 said:

I'm sure it would be terrible to try to protect the new, young QB

/s

That's what a logical, rational person would assume.

So... Tunsil is gone.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Was it just the overwhelming dollar amount for why Watson signed the extension in the first place? I'd find it hard to believe this relationship went this bad this fast in last few months. 

Edited by LeotheLion
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, LeotheLion said:

Was it just the overwhelming dollar amount for why Watson signed the extension in the first place? I'd find it hard to believe this relationship went this bad this fast in last few months. 

Start here:

https://www.si.com/nfl/2020/12/10/ex-chaplain-jack-easterby-houston-texans-chaos-after-power-struggle-daily-cover

Then, go here:

https://www.si.com/nfl/2021/01/16/texans-chaos-deshaun-watson-unhappy-how-jack-easterby-kept-his-job

You'll see how it went from 0-100 in a heartbeat. Truth be told 0-100 isn't a fair way to describe it, this situation has been idling at 75 this whole time (credit to Bill Burr for that line). I think it took so long to surface because the Texans were stumbling into 11-5 division titles and playoff wins against Buffalo last season. Going 4-12 and looking every bit the fool on the field goes a long way to erode the building.

As far as the extension - what other options does Watson have? Given the position and the current state of the Texans blocking up front, does Deshaun want to risk not taking that sort of guarenteed money? If he doesn't sign, what likely going to happen? He's tagged, then tagged again - so it's not like it's a much better outcome by not signing his deal.

I mean - don't you think Dak Prescott wish he signed his contract this past off-season? 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...