Deshaun Watson requests trade

49ersfan

Watson is in that weird place where he is worth so much that most teams that could legitimately put something together would choose not to because they are already in a good spot

like.. you would want a #1 type QB to be involved, but those teams aren't trading them. Bengals or Chargers aren't trading Burrow or Herbert

Dolphins probably is the only team offhand that COULD and WOULD consider something. Tua + 3rd overall (Chase or Devonta) + 18 + 2022 1st and 2nd

Jets have nothing to add to the 2 pick, Falcons I guess could do Matt Ryan + 4th overall (Chase or Devonta) + 2022 1st and 2nd

49ers maybe around Jimmy G plus a Bosa, and 12 +

I just don't know if I see it tbh

2 hours ago, ET80 said:

I wouldn't mind Watson in New Orleans. San Francisco, too.

This discussion does confirm that Watson >>> Texans in my mind. If he's traded, I'm following him, and I'm certain I'm not the only Texans fan who'd go this way (my 12 person Fantasy league based in Houston is unanimous in feeling this way as well...)

You only got the team in 2002. Not like it's super ingrained for you. Shoot, I was 14 when they played their first game if that tells you anything.

1 minute ago, candyman93 said:

I’m so sorry.

I used to just joke about Billy Boy trading Watson.

....this might actually happen...?

Honestly, I give it about 15% chances of happening. Watson might be disgruntled, but he's locked up for five years - he's got no choice really. This isn't Lev Bell, he can't sit seasons out without impacting his vested time (and money).

But, he's clearly unhappy. The team needs to deal with this immediately - whatever that looks like.

I've done a complete 180 in less than 5 minutes. Texans have terrible cap situation with no relief coming until 2022. You gotta get drastic.

• Work with the Dolphins
  • Pair up with Tua and an elite rookie WR plus a couple other picks if you can
  • Trade Watt for whatever you can get and shed the contract of expensive players like Cobb, Mercilus, Cunningham, etc
  • See if Tua can ball, if not you draft a QB with your early pick in 2021

I don't really see another way out

6 minutes ago, scar988 said:

You only got the team in 2002. Not like it's super ingrained for you. Shoot, I was 14 when they played their first game if that tells you anything.

But I was there when they unveiled the logo, built the stadium. I was in the crowd when David Carr found Billy Miller for the first ever TD. I still remember JJ Watt's first sack, his first pick six. 

It's like watching your kid grow up. This is just the rebellious college years - 18 years, right? That's how old the Texans are, just at the beginning of the college years. The team is getting piercing and tattoos, trying "things" I tried when I was his age, talking about backpacking across Europe with that one dude you don't know, but you just don't like...

I might be disappointed - very disappointed at that - but I still love my child.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Tk3 said:

I've done a complete 180 in less than 5 minutes. Texans have terrible cap situation with no relief coming until 2022.

Lost on this. A few simple moves made at the beginning of the new league year can get needed cap space:

- Cut David Johnson ($6.9mm cap saving)

- Cut Bernardrick McKinney ($10mm cap saving)

- Cut Zach Fulton ($3mm cap savings)

- Cut Duke Johnson ($5.15mm cap savings)

- Renegotiate Brandin Cooks ($3.5mm savings, give or take)

- Renegotiate/Cut JJ Watt ($6mm savings renegotiate give or take/$17mm if cut)

Of these moves, the only one that has impact is Watt. Rest is dead weight with better options already on roster and/or guys who are due a younger replacement (RB mostly). That's $35mm opened up if you renegotiate Watt - $45mm if you cut Watt.

The money is there.

7 minutes ago, ET80 said:

Lost on this. A few simple moves can get needed cap space:

- Cut David Johnson ($6.9mm cap saving)

- Cut Bernardrick McKinney ($10mm cap saving)

- Cut Zach Fulton ($3mm cap savings)

- Cut Duke Johnson ($5.15mm cap savings)

- Renegotiate Brandin Cooks ($3.5mm savings)

- Renegotiate/Cut JJ Watt ($6mm savings renegotiate/$17mm if cut)

Of these moves, the only one that has impact is Watt. Rest is dead weight with better options already on roster and/or guys who are due a younger replacement (RB mostly). That's $35mm opened up if you renegotiate Watt - $45mm if you cut Watt.

The money is there.

Oh, please, please, please trade Watt to Atlanta for Fowler, straight up.

Here's a snippet from The Athletic, reviewing the attractiveness of the various HC openings. Houston came in 2nd, behind Jville

Houston. "Everyone looks at Houston and thinks, bad team, no draft picks, why would I ever want that job? I look at Houston and see quarterback Deshaun Watson and think: quick turnaround. Yes, it hurts not having a first-round pick to rebuild as the new coach and general manager enter the scene, but Watson can hide many sins of the roster with his stellar play and talented skills, which make those around him better.

Over the last three years, Houston has won 26 games counting playoffs and ranks 13th overall. In Week 17, when most teams (Philadelphia) could care less about playing, the Texans, with the AFC South on the line for the Titans, took Tennessee down to the final seconds before losing. They lost twice by three to the division champions, once in overtime, another with seconds left. During the year, they had the ball two times inside the five with a chance to beat the Colts twice, only to make a mistake that cost them the game. They are so close — because of Watson. Most jobs open because they don’t have a quarterback.
Houston not only has one, it has a top one. "

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, scar988 said:

Oh, please, please, please trade Watt to Atlanta for Fowler, straight up.

If Watt is traded, it's to a perennial playoff contender (Pittsburgh, Green Bay) or close to his wife (Chicago).

They want to move him, but given what he means to the city, it's not to another rebuild situation.

• Like 1