Deshaun Watson requests trade

49ersfan

9 hours ago, bigbadbuff said:

Darnold > Tua

This guy gets it. If you want Tua over Darnold you have not been wathcing thses 2. Tua is just plan bad and if Miami wants to move on after 1 year shows you how bad he is. I think that hip injury was a career ender for him. 

27 minutes ago, RUGmen said:

Does Watson give commitment to the franchise if they hire Bienemy?

I mean - Watson was actually a part of the Eric Bienemy interview:

That isn't something someone would do if they weren't interested.

4 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

Are you trying to drive @ET80 and Texan fans to start drinking in the AM?  It's not even 10 AM. 

No lol, just a slightly optimist Jets fan who last week thought there was 0% chance of Watson being traded to now there being maybe a 5% chance he's traded. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, mattmanz91 said:

Take it for what it's worth. 

The only three people I'm trusting in this:

- Watson

- David Mughaletta

- Josina Anderson

Watson and Mughaletta are the obvious ones, and Anderson seems to be very close to Mughaletta - so she tends to scoop things on his clients faster than most. 

One thing that has to be considered - there is absolutely no rush for the Texans to move Watson. You can even punt this to next off-season and see what Watson does, up to and including sitting out (which would cost him literally millions of dollars on top of retirement vesting, medical benefits, terms of his new extension, etc). If he does sit out, then let him sit out and reassess - while probably sitting on the #1 pick in 2021.

The value isn't really dropping for a guy of his calibur, is it? The potential buyers change, but Watson doesn't change a year from now, does he?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, ET80 said:

The value isn't really dropping for a guy of his calibur, is it? The potential buyers change, but Watson doesn't change a year from now, does he?

I think it would I get younger version of Carson palmer good. It also hurt lev bell Imo I know different position. 

Only guy I know took a year off and commanded the same value is Randall Cuningham he also got better surprisingly.

32 minutes ago, ET80 said:

The only three people I'm trusting in this:

- Watson

- David Mughaletta

- Josina Anderson

Watson and Mughaletta are the obvious ones, and Anderson seems to be very close to Mughaletta - so she tends to scoop things on his clients faster than most. 

One thing that has to be considered - there is absolutely no rush for the Texans to move Watson. You can even punt this to next off-season and see what Watson does, up to and including sitting out (which would cost him literally millions of dollars on top of retirement vesting, medical benefits, terms of his new extension, etc). If he does sit out, then let him sit out and reassess - while probably sitting on the #1 pick in 2021.

I agree with you, the one point I'll make is when you have an unhappy player of any caliber who is publicy voicing his disdain, the owner/front office sometimes opt to trade that player and get it over with before it causes any more harm. Us Jets fans went through this with Jamal Adams. Adams obviously is not the caliber player that Watson is, but he did some damage once he decided he wanted out at all costs. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jetfuel34 said:

This guy gets it. If you want Tua over Darnold you have not been wathcing thses 2. Tua is just plan bad and if Miami wants to move on after 1 year shows you how bad he is. I think that hip injury was a career ender for him. 

Tua was a rookie who had limited weapons.  We have seen Darnold play over 3 seasons. 

1 hour ago, ET80 said:

This is where I'm at too.

The fact is, there has been too much smoke for there to not be fire.  So I'm pretty convinced that Deshaun Watson, even if he never says anything, no longer respects or trusts the organization.  And he wants out.  But what reason do the Texans have to oblige?  If I'm the Texans, I'm not doing anything.  Unless you find another great QB with one of the picks you get in return, then there is just almost no way you win a trade where you are giving away Watson.  I really hate it for the player, but this is on the NFLPA.  They should have done more to get rid of the franchise tag (at the very least, a team should not be allowed to use it on the same player twice).  

And if Watson chooses not to show up, then that is fine by me if I'm Caserio and the Texans HC.  They don't have a lot of ways to improve this offseason anyway, given their cap situation and lack of draft capital (well, in the 1st, not sure about their other picks).  I go all-in on a tank.  And if your team is bad enough to pick in the top five or three in 2022, which seems likely given how bad they were this year with Watson?  Then and only then do I consider trading Watson if he's still at the point where he doesn't want to play for your team.  At least at that point you have had a year to help fix your cap short/long-term and can either add impact players or even more draft picks on top of what you already have.  But the thing is... no way Watson would sit out for an entire season.

But who knows what the Texans are thinking.  Maybe they don't want the bad PR that would come with holding an obviously disgruntled player like Watson hostage.  But man I really wouldn't pull the trigger anytime soon if I'm the Texans, as much as it sucks for the player.  From a business and team management standpoint it just doesn't make any sense to trade him right now.

At this point, if Watson wants to 100% guarantee his departure this offseason, he's going to have to go the James Harden route.  Show up out of shape.  Throw your team under the bus.  Don't show up to all the practices.  Just cause mayhem.  Your teammates might hate you at the end of the day but at least you'll get traded.  The best leverage any athlete has is completely blowing up the locker-room.  But Watson doesn't seem like the kind of guy to do that.

• Like 1