Deshaun Watson requests trade

49ersfan

48 minutes ago, mattmanz91 said:

I agree with you, the one point I'll make is when you have an unhappy player of any caliber who is publicy voicing his disdain, the owner/front office sometimes opt to trade that player and get it over with before it causes any more harm. Us Jets fans went through this with Jamal Adams. Adams obviously is not the caliber player that Watson is, but he did some damage once he decided he wanted out at all costs.

I get this, but a significant difference here - Watson already inked his long term deal. Hypothetically, Jamal Adams could have sat out until Week 12 and come in, get credit for the season, watch his contract toll for a year and force NYJ to either tag him or let him walk in FA. So, there's a light at the end of the tunnel?

Watson would have to do that for five consecutive years - all while losing close to $150mm in actual money.

That's not exactly a step anyone could afford to take.

24 minutes ago, ET80 said:

I get this, but a significant difference here - Watson already inked his long term deal. Hypothetically, Jamal Adams could have sat out until Week 12 and come in, get credit for the season, watch his contract toll for a year and force NYJ to either tag him or let him walk in FA. So, there's a light at the end of the tunnel?

Watson would have to do that for five consecutive years - all while losing close to $150mm in actual money.

That's not exactly a step anyone could afford to take.

I'd pull Vince young and throw my gear into the stands like I'm out🤣

10 minutes ago, thebestever6 said:

I'd pull Vince young and throw my gear into the stands like I'm out🤣

I don't disagree - but does anyone see Watson going heel like that?

He's a good guy, a genuinely good guy (which is why this is both heartbreaking and frustrating) are. Job #1 is keeping a talented player with impeccable character happy... and CalJack screwed that up as soon as they stepped on the tarmac.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ET80 said:

I don't disagree - but does anyone see Watson going heel like that?

He's a good guy, a genuinely good guy (which is why this is both heartbreaking and frustrating) are. Job #1 is keeping a talented player with impeccable character happy... and CalJack screwed that up as soon as they stepped on the tarmac.

Cal tends to bring out the worst in people. Yes I can see Watson becoming a villian to get out. Who even knows what Cal's been texting him lol.

Dude makes Jim irsay look competent.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, iknowcool said:

At this point, if Watson wants to 100% guarantee his departure this offseason, he's going to have to go the James Harden route.  Show up out of shape.

He'll need to borrow that fat suit Harden used...

1 minute ago, thebestever6 said:

Cal tends to bring out the worst in people. Yes I can see Watson becoming a villian to get out. Who even knows what Cal's been texting him lol.

Dude makes Jim irsay look competent.

It's not even Cal - Cal is a simpleton, he's the Ralph Wiggum of the NFL.

Ralph Wiggum Reaction GIF

It's Jack "Beelzebub" Easterby that is creating this fissure.

Just now, ET80 said:

It's not even Cal - Cal is a simpleton, he's the Ralph Wiggum of the NFL.

Ralph Wiggum Reaction GIF

It's Jack "Beelzebub" Easterby that is creating this fissure.

You can connect the dots man Andre Johnson was part of the search for a gm and was at a basketball game with Watson they're boys.

Easterby and Casario are close and Cal said F it I'll just let this guy weasel his way into it.

You can connect the dots man Andre Johnson was part of the search for a gm and was at a basketball game with Watson they're boys.

I'm very well aware of the situation - I know none of this was the case prior to 2018. It all started with Easterby.

Heck, Andre Johnson even says as much - up to mentioning Easterby by name:

Cal is not without fault, mind you - but he's not the underlying issue.

Easterby and Casario are close and Cal said F it I'll just let this guy weasel his way into it.

It's all Easterby. Here are two in depth dives into who Easterby is:

https://www.si.com/nfl/2020/12/10/ex-chaplain-jack-easterby-houston-texans-chaos-after-power-struggle-daily-cover

https://www.si.com/nfl/2021/01/16/texans-chaos-deshaun-watson-unhappy-how-jack-easterby-kept-his-job

I've been following the Texans since the McNair family was awarded the 32nd franchise - I've been front row on every major event, and I know who Cal is - he's a typical rich kid, someone who is in way over his head. Easily manipulated overall.

Easterby is a megachurch pastor, he weaponizes his message behind "culture" and "morality" and gets people to do his bidding. He specializes in manipulating dumb people.

Cut that head off, Cal slinks back into the background and Caserio can get to work.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, thebestever6 said:

Johnson saying Houston is known for wasting players careers is a direct shot at ownership.

Bob McNair - not Cal - was the owner when Andre played. Andre still managed to come back to coach as well as serve as a team ambassador prior to this fallout, so he wasn't hating ownership until recently.

Not saying Cal is without fault, but you're missing the forest for the trees.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

As a rule of thumb I don't think @ET80 misses anything that's happening to the Texans.   I imagine this is him most days since the news broke...

SilverAnyIcterinewarbler-max-1mb.gif

I quit smoking in 2016. But, this is accurate.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, N4L said:

Watson seems to be very shrewd. His handling this whole thing has been superb. The guy played through all of BOBs dumb antics, smiled even though he was unhappy (you know hes been unhappy for a while), signed a HUGE contract (but made sure it was still a movable contract), balled out on a losing team, and then set Cal McNair up for one of the biggest public smearings of any owner that I can remember. 

I wouldnt be surprised if Watson asked to be included in offseason decisions, knowing they werent going to actually include him, so that he could then use it as a reason to ask for a trade and have the public behind him. I mean, you KNOW watson has been unhappy for a long time. There is NO CHANCE he was happy with BOB, the dude just knew that he had to smile and take it and be the nice guy until he A) got paid and B) had the power/ammo/timing to force his way out. (there is a whole racial thing at play here as well that I wont get into but we all know its there)

This is essentially like when a disgruntled employee would take notes on all of the misdoings at a company, keep a journal of day to day occurrences, document unethical/immoral actions of others, etc etc and then use it as leverage in a severance or settlement package. I think Watson has been planning to force his way out for a long, long time. Couple this logic with the Dan Olavsky tweet where he says there is a ton of stuff we dont know about from the outside. Its possible Watson has some type of smoking gun here, but I wont go as far to speculate to that point. Watson probably has very good cause beyond anything that happened this offseason to legitimately ask for a trade, but he hasnt formally asked for a trade yet because he is being patient. He understands that these things are a process.  

I said in the niners forum yesterday that its odd how only MIA is mentioned. He likely that knows that its the most likely trade scenario and therefore its the one he is floating out there. Hes not saying he want to go to SF, which would make it a much harder deal for houston to make, but instead he is asking for the easy deal to be made. Thats really shrewd on his part. 

I wonder who his agent is. 

Agent is the one who moved Jalen out of Jacksonville, keep that in mind.

I don't think he's been trying to force his way out, I think he's just given us the benefit of the doubt for too long. The conspiracy theories surrounding this have been wild, from what you outlined to he is just doing it to get Bieniemy hired. I feel like he knows the only way he can stay in Houston is if the FO and the HC decide to start being competent, far from what he's experienced so far. The FO is trying but is obviously weighed down by Easterby and Cal's incompetence, and the HC position is far open. I feel like the only saving grace the Texans have is that he would rather play for Bieniemy over any other new HC or any other team that can afford DW, so we need to make sure this hire goes right. I don't even care if Bieniemy sucks, as long as Deshaun knows its his fault we hired him and to trust the FO next time.