Deshaun Watson requests trade

49ersfan

7 hours ago, ET80 said:

I get this, but a significant difference here - Watson already inked his long term deal. Hypothetically, Jamal Adams could have sat out until Week 12 and come in, get credit for the season, watch his contract toll for a year and force NYJ to either tag him or let him walk in FA. So, there's a light at the end of the tunnel?

Watson would have to do that for five consecutive years - all while losing close to $150mm in actual money.

That's not exactly a step anyone could afford to take.

Exactly. The blowback is that FA's don't want to come here but at the point where Deshaun is holding out for five years its basically pointless anyway.

3 hours ago, squire12 said:

Given the front office dysfunction in Houston, is it in Bieniemy's best interest to take that HC job if its offered?

Absolutely not. From everything I've read about Jack Easterby, the McNair family, etc... he wouldn't fit in at all. Even though he is probably the only guy they could hire that would get Watson recommited to the organization.

I feel gutted for Texans fans. The situation in Houston has been bad for a long time you get Watson and start to see a light at the end of the tunnel but turns out it was just a train.

Easy to forget how close they were to beating KC just last year. If BOB doesn't call a fake punt on their own side of the field up 24-0 they win that football game.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, squire12 said:

Given the front office dysfunction in Houston, is it in Bieniemy's best interest to take that HC job if its offered?

Here's the thing...we keep saying he's a hot name and he'll get a job somewhere...but at this point, he's basically getting shut out every year and there's probably a reason for it. Something isn't meshing up. He may just want to take a job by this point, and you can do worse than taking one with Watson as your QB regardless of other issues (I'm assuming he'll touch base with Watson before accepting)  Even if someone eventually gave him a shot (and I think someone would at some point), I don't think he's getting a premium opening. I think maybe he'd get one of those jobs where someone is on their 3rd coach in 5 years or something. 

It's probably not a good situation to walk into if you're EB...but I wouldn't at all be surprised if he just wants to shoot his shot at this point. 

I'm going to share what one of our best Texans posters in the Texans forum (on the entire site, actually) had to say about this...

4 hours ago, Longhorns90 said:

Separating myself from the emotions a bit, I think it's important to take into account, when analyzing the situation, who has leverage.

Right here and now, when the Texans don't have a head coach yet is when Deshaun Watson has the most leverage. And he knows, if he wants to implement change in the organization, his best move is to make as much noise as possible to force the Texans to accommodate him in the one position remaining that can truly bring a culture shift. The minute the Texans think he isn't willing to pull the trigger, he loses, so it's in his best interest to keep the pot at as close to boiling over as possible. If he's already resigned to leaving the team, whoever the next head coach is meaningless to him, so there's no point to keep holding the trade request card in his hand. But by keeping the threat there - by putting external pressure from the media and the fans on the organization - he's closest to getting what he wants. And if he doesn't get it? Well, he can always pull the trigger.

Because once he requests the trade, he also loses a lot of leverage. Sure, he can control which team he wants to go through his no-trade clause, but as people have noted, the Texans can mostly eat his salary cap hit next season, and so I think the most likely situation if he holds out is that he ends up stuck here during the offseason. If anything, I'd bet money that the Texans wait until the season itself, waiting for a team that's relatively competitive but uncertain in their quarterback position and with a head coach/GM who can feel their seat getting warmer, especially if they don't manage to make the playoffs - something like the Bears this year - who crack under pressure and give up a king's ransom to get Deshaun Watson to put them over the top and hopefully save their jobs. But in the interim, Deshaun's left like a flag waving on a pole, hoping that a team he likes is willing to put enough on the table that Houston's willing to give him up.

In the end, the best position for Watson to be in right now is to be seen as being on the brink of forcing a trade. I don't think it's any coincidence that's exactly where he is.

I think there's a ton of sensible thoughts on this - very optimistic, but rational. @Longhorns90 takes the emotional aspect out (which I think both sides need to do) and see what lies out in the open. And, yes - this could be a power play, that's why it's cryptic in nature and all done on social media as opposed to with Caserio.

What say you?

52 minutes ago, ET80 said:

I'm going to share what one of our best Texans posters in the Texans forum (on the entire site, actually) had to say about this...

I think there's a ton of sensible thoughts on this - very optimistic, but rational. @Longhorns90 takes the emotional aspect out (which I think both sides need to do) and see what lies out in the open. And, yes - this could be a power play, that's why it's cryptic in nature and all done on social media as opposed to with Caserio.

What say you?

Sounds logical to me.

18 minutes ago, xenajets said:

@ET80 As a general consensus what do Texan fans think would be a suitable and fair trade given the circumstances? 

I think the general feel is 3-4 1st round picks along with a very good to elite player.

A lot of the rationale here is that picks beyond 2021 are going to be in the 20s or lower. Deshaun Watson is a kingmaker, he's probably not going to be on a team that goes worse than 8-8 if he leaves Houston. So, the Texans are needing quantity over quality.

The extra player would need to be a guy with upside - probably a CB, or maybe an edge rusher, somebody to bolster the defense.

26 minutes ago, ET80 said:

I think the general feel is 3-4 1st round picks along with a very good to elite player.

A lot of the rationale here is that picks beyond 2021 are going to be in the 20s or lower. Deshaun Watson is a kingmaker, he's probably not going to be on a team that goes worse than 8-8 if he leaves Houston. So, the Texans are needing quantity over quality.

The extra player would need to be a guy with upside - probably a CB, or maybe an edge rusher, somebody to bolster the defense.

From purely a personal point of view I want the Jets to make a deal for Watson (obviously!) but at the same time I value the #2 pick very highly. So 3-4 1st round picks from a team like the Jets should hold higher value than say the Bears/SF/NE. 

Would #2, #23, #86 next years Jets 1st rounder get us close do you feel? I mean that #2 could conceivably generate another 2-3 1st round picks and more if traded?! 

13 minutes ago, xenajets said:

From purely a personal point of view I want the Jets to make a deal for Watson (obviously!) but at the same time I value the #2 pick very highly.

Likewise, I'm on an opposite spectrum - I'd let someone cut a finger off of me if it guarenteed Deshaun Watson retired as a Texan 15 years from now. (Ideally my pinky off of my left hand, but all 10 are in play for this one). 

That #2 pick is desirable, but not at the expense of the first true franchise QB in Texans history (a history that's littered with Ryan Fitzpatrick, Ryan Mallett, Case Keenum and Brock Osweiler). It's like I've been standing on my feet my entire life... and Deshaun Watson is the equivalent of someone giving me a chair. It's a relief knowing he's here.

So 3-4 1st round picks from a team like the Jets should hold higher value than say the Bears/SF/NE. 

I agree with that, for 2021 picks. Beyond that, the Jets will be a playoff/SB contender, so future picks aren't going to be very high.

Would #2, #23, #86 next years Jets 1st rounder get us close do you feel? I mean that #2 could conceivably generate another 2-3 1st round picks and more if traded?! 

It's a good starting point - I'd really need to dive into what sort of players could be added to the fold as well. Any reasonable pass rusher or CB on the roster?

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, ET80 said:

Likewise, I'm on an opposite spectrum - I'd let someone cut a finger off of me if it guarenteed Deshaun Watson retired as a Texan 15 years from now. (Ideally my pinky off of my left hand, but all 10 are in play for this one). 

That #2 pick is desirable, but not at the expense of the first true franchise QB in Texans history (a history that's littered with Ryan Fitzpatrick, Ryan Mallett, Case Keenum and Brock Osweiler). It's like I've been standing on my feet my entire life... and Deshaun Watson is the equivalent of someone giving me a chair. It's a relief knowing he's here.

I agree with that, for 2021 picks. Beyond that, the Jets will be a playoff/SB contender, so future picks aren't going to be very high.

It's a good starting point - I'd really need to dive into what sort of players could be added to the fold as well. Any reasonable pass rusher or CB on the roster?

Lol who really needs pinky fingers anyway?!? Although I’m from the UK and people do need them when drinking tea (only royals really!) 

Yeah I think from the outside looking in it’s not like ‘let’s just trade for a 25 year old franchise qb’ as another team in a similar situation (KC) wouldn’t trade Mahomes for anything it’s just this crazy situation that both Deshaun and the Texans find themselves in. It’s more a case of ‘if traded’ trying to maximise compensation. 

Unfortunately the Jets don’t have any real great trade assets other than possibly Sam Darnold (debatable!), Quinnen Williams and CJ Mosley. Can’t see Becton or Mims being traded so soon after we selecting them this prior draft. We have some really good young players at the corner position but non of which I would imagine hold great trade value currently. (If only we still had Adam Gase we could of included him in the trade as new HC 😳)

My interpretation on that #2 pick is that just being 2nd overall with very good qb prospects in play could be worth a small fortune in draft picks alone. If we did decide to roll with Sam in a new system with new coaches (of which Jet fans are torn) we could trade that #2 for 3 first round picks and change. 

Thus putting our offer of #2 on the table already a considerable trade asset. That’s while I feel that if we did get into a bidding war the Jets should be front and centre. This is all in the belief that Deshaun will be traded and he’d waive his no trade clause to join a team that’s been soul destroying over the last decade. 

2 minutes ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

Also, how many more months of the Texans just completely screwing things up before I can start trying to claim that Bill O'Brien was the only guy holding the franchise together.

Just wanna make sure I'm not too early.

Tomorrow, tomorrow... you're always a day away...

• Like 1