Deshaun Watson requests trade

49ersfan

37 minutes ago, ET80 said:

Likewise, I'm on an opposite spectrum - I'd let someone cut a finger off of me if it guarenteed Deshaun Watson retired as a Texan 15 years from now. (Ideally my pinky off of my left hand, but all 10 are in play for this one). 

That #2 pick is desirable, but not at the expense of the first true franchise QB in Texans history (a history that's littered with Ryan Fitzpatrick, Ryan Mallett, Case Keenum and Brock Osweiler). It's like I've been standing on my feet my entire life... and Deshaun Watson is the equivalent of someone giving me a chair. It's a relief knowing he's here.

I agree with that, for 2021 picks. Beyond that, the Jets will be a playoff/SB contender, so future picks aren't going to be very high.

It's a good starting point - I'd really need to dive into what sort of players could be added to the fold as well. Any reasonable pass rusher or CB on the roster?

To play devils advocate, Watson just had a great year and the Texans were still trash. Whats to say that he alone would be enough to make the Jets not trash? 

26 minutes ago, Matts4313 said:

To play devils advocate, Watson just had a great year and the Texans were still trash. Whats to say that he alone would be enough to make the Jets not trash? 

The operative word here is the Texans were trash - they ranked dead last in just about every category Watson couldn't directly improve (defense, run game - ST was maybe middle of the pack, definitely nothing to write home about).

It's not a question of whether or not the Texans go 0-16 without Watson - it's how badly they go 0-16 without Watson (I'm wagering they'd probably lose about 11-12 games by 28+ if Watson isn't doing Watson things).

3 minutes ago, ET80 said:

The operative word here is the Texans were trash - they ranked dead last in just about every category Watson couldn't directly improve (defense, run game - ST was maybe middle of the pack, definitely nothing to write home about).

It's not a question of whether or not the Texans go 0-16 without Watson - it's how badly they go 0-16 without Watson (I'm wagering they'd probably lose about 11-12 games by 28+ if Watson isn't doing Watson things).

According to DVOA, the Jets are right there with you. Obviously worse on offense, but presumably Watson would help immensely there. 

Just now, Matts4313 said:

According to DVOA, the Jets are right there with you. Obviously worse on offense, but presumably Watson would help immensely there. 

I'm also operating under the assumption that Robert Selah is interested in creating a culture that is markedly better than what Jack Easterby has in store for the Texans...

• Like 1

Just now, ET80 said:

I'm also operating under the assumption that Robert Selah is interested in creating a culture that is markedly better than what Jack Easterby has in store for the Texans...

Jack isnt the GM or coach. So I doubt he will have a huge influence over culture unless the coach you hire is a total push over. 

2 minutes ago, ET80 said:

He's the EVP of Football Operations. The HC/GM report to him. The only person he answers to is the owner.

Let that sink in.

That doesnt really change anything I said though. Stephen Jones is the same with us, but McCarthy sets the culture. Just like Garrett before him. 

7 minutes ago, Matts4313 said:

That doesnt really change anything I said though. Stephen Jones is the same with us, but McCarthy sets the culture. Just like Garrett before him.

Because Stephen Jones understands his role and what he needs to do. His role is to empower those beneath him, not subjugate those beneath him - that's a basic tenet of management, both in football and anywhere else. (EDIT: I think. I don't know the first thing about Stephen Jones, if I'm being honest).

Easterby doesn't get that - he thinks the title gives him the power, and he's swung that power on more than one occasion, often with disasterous results.

5 minutes ago, ET80 said:

Because Stephen Jones understands his role and what he needs to do. His role is to empower those beneath him, not subjugate those beneath him - that's a basic tenet of management, both in football and anywhere else.

Easterby doesn't get that - he thinks the title gives him the power, and he's swung that power on more than one occasion, often with disasterous results.

Just trying to give you an optimistic outlook. Easterby is a guy who seized control when you had no HC or GM and almost got fired. Now you have a coach and GM. His 'power' will be checked imo.  

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, ET80 said:

He's the EVP of Football Operations. The HC/GM report to him. The only person he answers to is the owner.

Let that sink in.

Oh he's got the ol Bruce Allen setup.  He can fire everyone when things go wrong but weasel his way into the convo when things go right.  

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Matts4313 said:

Just trying to give you an optimistic outlook. Easterby is a guy who seized control when you had no HC or GM and almost got fired. Now you have a coach and GM. His 'power' will be checked imo.  

I sincerely hope so, but - if I'm reading the tea leaves correctly - I doubt it.

Easterby seized his opportunity around the time Bob McNair died. It wasn't unexpected - McNair had cancer after all - but it wasn't exactly expected either, he fought a very valiant fight against it.

So while all of that was going on, Easterby was basically the family pastor to Janice, Cal and Hannah McNair. In a very trying time when the family patriarch is gone, Easterby stepped in to provide support and solace - to a family that probably dealt with minimal conflict or challenge before. In that role, he's not bad, all things considered - he proved his worth as a Chaplain to the KC Chiefs after the Javon Belcher suicide, and he's been called a valuable asset by Bob Kraft and Bill Belicheck. There IS value there if you look carefully...

... but that value has ZERO context when compared up against the business that is pro football. This is the problem, Easterby is trying to run a football franchise like he runs his congregation, and the people who do have the authority are too indebted to him to say anything otherwise.

If he goes, it has to be of his own volition. Ultimately, I think his "own volition" would probably be under a private endeavor; Easterby sees how much money Joel Osteen is making at the old Compaq Center where the Rockets won 'ships and thinks to himself "I could do that too..."

That's my win/win. Easterby leaves on his own for another high paying gig - megachurch pastor.

• Like 4

13 minutes ago, MKnight82 said:

Oh he's got the ol Bruce Allen setup.  He can fire everyone when things go wrong but weasel his way into the convo when things go right.  

Yup, that sounds about right. It doesn't mean he's not right for firing guys like BoB, but it DOES mean he's not taking any sort of blame for these errors in judgement.

6 hours ago, ET80 said:

I'm going to share what one of our best Texans posters in the Texans forum (on the entire site, actually) had to say about this...

I think there's a ton of sensible thoughts on this - very optimistic, but rational. @Longhorns90 takes the emotional aspect out (which I think both sides need to do) and see what lies out in the open. And, yes - this could be a power play, that's why it's cryptic in nature and all done on social media as opposed to with Caserio.

What say you?

Heh, and here I thought I didn't post enough to get much notice.

I will say that defining it solely as a power play is a rather cynical take on it. Watson put up a season that, if the team had gone 12-4 instead of 4-12, would have put him square in the MVP conversation. JJ wasn't the only person speaking when he apologized for wasting Watson's effort. It is unprecedented in the modern league for a quarterback to put up a performance so good on a team that performed so bad. I have to believe his exasperation and desire for a quintessential culture change in Houston is completely genuine, and not just looking out for number one. He's just using what tools he has as best as he can to accomplish that goal.

Keeping things in the background in private channels would have given cover for the front office to keep pulling their shenanigans. And while I didn't get into it much in that post, he is taking significant risk in doing what he's doing - there's a reason that this situation is basically something we've never seen before. But, backed into the corner, he's got to play what cards he has, and that's exactly what he's doing.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Longhorns90 said:

And while I didn't get into it much in that post, he is taking significant risk in doing what he's doing - there's a reason that this situation is basically something we've never seen before. But, backed into the corner, he's got to play what cards he has, and that's exactly what he's doing.

This is something I wanted to touch on - regardless of how it plays out (in Houston, traded to Miami, NYJ, Carolina, etc) if Watson were to regresses from this past season, he will be CRUCIFIED by everyone. He'll then go from "elite QB trying to get out of a bad situation" to "diva, malcontent me-first athlete" (which is 1,000% not him, for the record).

That's the one risk that stands out to me... He's now on the hook to prove he's as good as this drama dictates.