Deshaun Watson requests trade

Just to add to my last comment: I do not expect the Niners to make a move for Watson. I don't think they'll be able to offer as attractive packages as other teams like was mentioned previously. If I had to guess I would say we move a little bit for a QB this year if we think one of the guys like Wilson would be an upgrade over Jimmy. 

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, GW21 said:

This is not something I'd be prepared to do on top of multiple first rounders, I've been very consistent with that. If it's the three 1st rounders that's easy for me. With Watson our pick would be at the end of the 1st the second and third year. 

That's also why HOU shouldn't be that interested.    I don't honestly know why they'd be interested in a disposable position like Mostert TBH, especially with only 1 year left on his contract.     BOB is gone, so the valuation of RB would seem way off.

• Like 1
Just now, GW21 said:

Witherspoon is a FA so you should be able to just sign him if you want to, as he's been in Shanny's doghouse for over a year now.

I was unaware of this, so appreciate the update - but yeah, you'd have to supplement a treasure trove of picks with "starter level" players, guys who could fill needs from day one onwards. Then the picks sent could be used on actual BPA type players - instead of forced to fill holes, the team is drafting blue chippers across the board over the next few years and stockpiling talent (with high/top 5 picks earned by Houston and mid to late picks from the trade).

It's similar to what the Astros did to build their team. Only difference is the Astros used trash cans and the Texans would BE the trash cans.

20 minutes ago, ET80 said:

Nobody wants that Jimmy G contract - including Houston. 

The contract is fine. It holds positive value in the NFL. Usually the ones that are a problems are the ones that have current and future years guaranteed. Kirk Cousins, for example, has ostensibly 2 years, 56 million fully guaranteed. That locks some teams up. Goff and Wentz have current and future years guaranteed as well. These are the contracts that are issues. Jimmy's is good by NFL standards because it doesn't even have injury guarantees left and the cap hit is middle of the road and what's left to pay in real cash is actually less than his AAV as it was front loaded. 

Honestly, I Think you have it backwards. Jimmy G has a no trade clause and I'm not sure why he'd waive it for Houston to rebuild, to be honest. 

• Like 1
1 minute ago, Broncofan said:

That's also why HOU shouldn't be that interested.    I don't honestly know why they'd be interested in a disposable position like Mostert TBH, especially with only 1 year left on his contract.     BOB is gone, so the valuation of RB would seem way off.

The players were productive names I recognized on the roster - but the goal here is to fill whatever holes you can with starters gained in the trade, and finding gems (regardless of position) in the draft.

Like everyone has said - Quinnen Williams, Xavian Howard, Nick Bosa - about as untouchable as non QBs can go. So get that next level of player, build a competent core of guys from that, and then overlay that core with some young cornerstone-type players, a lockdown CB or a dominant edge or *shudder* a guy like Sam Howell out of North Carolina.

(It makes my stomach churn knowing I'm looking into 2022 QBs...)

4 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

Houston owes us. Seattle got Clowney and Brown, Arizona got D-Hop, Rams got out of the Cooks contract and got a second in return. It's our turn dang it! 

• Like 1
1 minute ago, Forge said:

Jimmy's is good by NFL standards because it doesn't even have injury guarantees left and the cap hit is middle of the road and what's left to pay in real cash is actually less than his AAV as it was front loaded. 

The object isn't to win games if you're trading away Deshaun Watson. If you're doing that, the commitment is to AJ McCarron starting 16 games.

I think we know how that story would end 

1 minute ago, GW21 said:

Houston owes us. Seattle got Clowney and Brown, Arizona got D-Hop, Rams got out of the Cooks contract and got a second in return. It's our turn dang it! 

You snooze, you lose.    Lynch should have had BOB on speed dial.

• Like 4
1 minute ago, GW21 said:

I don't know what your DL situation is (I know it's a great DL all things considered) but I do have San Francisco as one of the favorites for JJ Watt, given that DeMeco Ryans is now the DC.

You could get him, won't even cost you a 1st or 2nd.

1 minute ago, ET80 said:

The object isn't to win games if you're trading away Deshaun Watson. If you're doing that, the commitment is to AJ McCarron starting 16 games.

I think we know how that story would end 

That's why I don't think he goes to Texans. I think it makes more sense that the 9ers would ship him to a team like NE or Indy for like a third or whatever. But I don't think the 49ers are in the market anyway. I have some idle curiosity into whether or not Shanny wants a pre-developed superstar QB as weird as that sounds 

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, ET80 said:

It makes my stomach churn knowing I'm looking into 2022 QBs

DJ Uiagelelei in 2023, on the other hand... Hmm.

1 minute ago, ET80 said:

I don't know what your DL situation is (I know it's a great DL all things considered) but I do have San Francisco as one of the favorites for JJ Watt, given that DeMeco Ryans is now the DC.

You could get him, won't even cost you a 1st or 2nd.

Our cap situation isn't good right now though, especially after we re-sign Williams and extend Warner. It's going to push it close just signing our own guys back. I don't think we are legit factors for Watt and the best pick we can give up is a compensatory 3rd rounder. 

• Like 1
41 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

I don't think we are legit factors for Watt and the best pick we can give up is a compensatory 3rd rounder. 

At this point, I'd be OK with this return if it gets Watt to a contender with a DC he knows very well.

Pittsburgh, Green Bay and San Francisco are the only three places I'd like to see him; I'd be willing to take lesser compensation from then to get it done.

9 hours ago, Kirill said:

EDIT: How about a 3 team deal. Niners get Tua and #18 from MIA, Texans get #12 from SF, #8 from MIA, MIA 2021 1st, SF 2nd round pick this year.

49ers move down 6 spots in the 1st and give up their 2nd for Tua.
Dolphins swing #12 from SF along with their #8, future 1st, and SF 2nd this year for Watson
Texans end up with 8, 12, 49ers 2nd, 2021 1st from MIA

How does Miami get #8 when it's currently owned by Carolina?

1 minute ago, ET80 said:

Pittsburgh, Green Bay and San Francisco are the only three places I'd like to see him; I'd be willing to take lesser compensation from then to get it done.

I wouldn't put it past Cal to send him to his preferred destination for less than full value.