Deshaun Watson requests trade

49ersfan

58 minutes ago, ET80 said:

The players were productive names I recognized on the roster - but the goal here is to fill whatever holes you can with starters gained in the trade, and finding gems (regardless of position) in the draft.

Like everyone has said - Quinnen Williams, Xavian Howard, Nick Bosa - about as untouchable as non QBs can go. So get that next level of player, build a competent core of guys from that, and then overlay that core with some young cornerstone-type players, a lockdown CB or a dominant edge or *shudder* a guy like Sam Howell out of North Carolina.

(It makes my stomach churn knowing I'm looking into 2022 QBs...)

I'm not sure trading for ANOTHER RB is the solution.

59 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

I'm not sure trading for ANOTHER RB is the solution.

You're focusing too much on the names, not enough on the concept - fill holes so you're not using those picks to fill needs, you can then take the bpa.

1 hour ago, CWood21 said:

I wouldn't put it past Cal to send him to his preferred destination for less than full value.

What is Watt's trade value? Hes due 17.5 mil on the 1 year remaining left on his current deal, injury prone, and 32 years old. Based on this and where they are at in cap I assume he is on the roster bubble especially with them being in rebuild mode and are 17+ mil over the projected cap for 2021.

14 minutes ago, soflbillsfan said:

Based on this and where they are at in cap I assume he is on the roster bubble especially with them being in rebuild mode and are 17+ mil over the projected cap for 2021.

He's not even on the bubble, he's firmly out. It'll break my heart, it'll break all Texans' fans heart, but this is the business. 

This is Hakeem Olaijuwon playing for the Raptors or Earl Campbell playing for the Saints - a city legend moves on, but will always remain in our hearts.

17 minutes ago, soflbillsfan said:

What is Watt's trade value? Hes due 17.5 mil on the 1 year remaining left on his current deal, injury prone, and 32 years old. Based on this and where they are at in cap I assume he is on the roster bubble especially with them being in rebuild mode and are 17+ mil over the projected cap for 2021.

Maybe a Day 2 pick at most.  I don't think you're going to get DPOY-caliber play out of him again, and he's certainly not the 15+ sack player he once was.

6 minutes ago, ET80 said:

He's not even on the bubble, he's firmly out. It'll break my heart, it'll break all Texans' fans heart, but this is the business. 

This is Hakeem Olaijuwon playing for the Raptors or Earl Campbell playing for the Saints - a city legend moves on, but will always remain in our hearts.

Yes I get it, it reminds me of seeing Bruce Smith go to Washington or Thurman Thomas playing for the Dolphins. Like you said it is a business and Watt will likely retire a Texan but you hate to see them on another team especially if it is a division rival. 

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, ET80 said:

You're focusing too much on the names, not enough on the concept - fill holes so you're not using those picks to fill needs, you can then take the bpa.

I definitely understand the concept, I just think the execution isn't right.  You want cheap, cost-controlled players who aren't deemed "off-limits" by the 49ers.  The problem is the Niners probably don't have a ton of those.

6 minutes ago, soflbillsfan said:

Yes I get it, it reminds me of seeing Bruce Smith go to Washington or Thurman Thomas playing for the Dolphins. Like you said it is a business and Watt will likely retire a Texan but you hate to see them on another team especially if it is a division rival. 

Watt is so much more than the sum of his seasons - he raised close to $40mm in relief funds following Hurricane Harvey, but he didn't stop there - he was "boots on the ground" during a lot of the cleanup and rebuild, and it was usually without cameras and hubbub of the media.

He saved this city, literally.

1 minute ago, CWood21 said:

I definitely understand the concept, I just think the execution isn't right.  You want cheap, cost-controlled players who aren't deemed "off-limits" by the 49ers.  The problem is the Niners probably don't have a ton of those.

Yeah, I didn't do a deep dive on the 49ers roster and contractual situation - if there's nobody like that on San Francisco's roster, they'd have to supplement with additional picks.

I think we're saying the same thing, several picks + (insert upside players with team friendly/rookie deals). I'm not going to drive into this and find exact players because I'm still not in a position to say this is even a real thing.

45 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

Maybe a Day 2 pick at most.  I don't think you're going to get DPOY-caliber play out of him again, and he's certainly not the 15+ sack player he once was.

sure, but you're also not going to ask him to play 1000 snaps/season either. Give him 650 snaps and a day of rest each week and you'll have a very productive player and team leader.
Julius Peppers 2.0 in GB terms

• Like 1