Deshaun Watson requests trade

49ersfan

https://247sports.com/Article/Deshaun-Watson-Carolina-Panthers-Houston-Texans-trade-159762257/

McIntyre said Friday on Colin Cowherd's show that Watson has told those close to him that he wouldn't rule out playing for Matt Rhule in Charlotte.

"While I was prepping for this segment I had somebody influential in the league text me and say the team I've heard is the Carolina Panthers, a deep sleeper for Deshaun Watson," McIntyre said. "Apparently, he is telling some folks he would not mind going home. He grew up in Atlanta, about four hours from Carolina and Matt Rhule has set up a pretty good foundation there in Carolina ... they have a lot of good offensive weapons.

"Just keep an ear out for Carolina. I'm on the (New York) Jets train. The league would love that. But keep an ear out for Carolina."

COME HOME WATSON!!

1 hour ago, iknowcool said:

Is a 4 hour drive considered "close to home" now? I grew up in NYC, i wouldn't consider DC close to home

I'm guessing him playing at Clemson would be where the homecoming part is coming from

That being said, the Panthers are an intriguing contender in this sweepstakes and they have a top 10 pick

Edited by 49ersfan

1 hour ago, iknowcool said:

Carolina is really interesting because if I were Houston, the future picks actually really intrigue me. Like, with Miami, the future picks don't hold a ton of value because I think that there's a high likelihood that they are going to be really good with Watson. 

With the Jets and Panthers (sorry), I think that there's still a reasonable chance that the team may not be very good given where they are at right this moment in the first year or so. There's a real chance one of those future firsts could be very good. 

On 1/21/2021 at 7:42 PM, Drained said:

Hire EB, keep Tim Kelly as OC and resign Fuller. We have a good chance he is staying. No way he goes to another poverty franchise like the Jets (sorry Jets fans) or the Dolphins and expects a SB lol. It is repairable.

Dolphins are a poverty franchise now? I’m going to assume you haven’t been paying attention to them since Flores got hired or that you’re getting really nervous this is an actual possibility and using anything to convince yourself otherwise 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Nick_gb said:

Dolphins are a poverty franchise now? I’m going to assume you haven’t been paying attention to them since Flores got hired or that you’re getting really nervous this is an actual possibility and using anything to convince yourself otherwise 

The hilarious part of that post was that Miami is literally Watson's number one choice 

"No way he goes to ... Miami" 

Lolol 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Forge said:

Carolina is really interesting because if I were Houston, the future picks actually really intrigue me. Like, with Miami, the future picks don't hold a ton of value because I think that there's a high likelihood that they are going to be really good with Watson. 

With the Jets and Panthers (sorry), I think that there's still a reasonable chance that the team may not be very good given where they are at right this moment in the first year or so. There's a real chance one of those future firsts could be very good. 

Depends on what we trade. We could have made the playoffs last year with Watson given how many 1-score losses we had and the # of game-winning opportunities we had that Teddy failed to capitalize. An offense with Watson-CMC-Moore-Anderson would be filthy.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Forge said:

The Panthers aren't world beaters, but with Watson at QB this year, they're in playoff contention.  There were 8 games where Teddy Bridgewater had the opportunity to lead a game-tying or game-winning drive and he couldn't get the job done a single time.  And on most of them, he was really unable to event threaten.

With a better QB, chances are we would have been in less of those situations and/or would have been able pull those drives out and win those games.  That takes a 5 win team to more of an 8-8 or 9-7 type team.  And this is with a roster crippled by a lot of dead cap money that was filled with young players and was getting acclimated to a new coaching staff/system.

I'd bet that any draft picks they included in a hypothetical Watson trade we be more likely to be in the 15-20 range than in the 1-5 range. 

23 hours ago, NJC33 said:

Projecting a bit here, lol.

Watson has reportedly already voiced his interest in Miami - moreover, have you paid any attention to their turnaround? Flores deserves an abundance of credit, not sure how you could possibly belittle the Dolphins here.

As for the Jets, the sentiment is misguided. Watson (And Arob for that matter) have been flirting with the fanbase recently on twitter, liking numerous Jets related content. His brother is a Jets fan. He supposedly loves NYC. I wouldn't underestimate Saleh's impact on the perception of this team. Sherman is literally publicly advocating for Watson to join his former coach, who need I remind you, was one of Watsons top candidates.

…. Not that I think it'll ultimately happen, but read the room. You're kidding yourself if you think there's "no way" he'd go to either of these teams. Too much smoke.

How am I projecting if I literally said "ANOTHER", referencing my own franchise. Feels like I hit a nerve.

16 hours ago, jetjuice said:

You seem like you are grasping at straws to try and rationalize your desire for Watson to stay in Houston.

An agent's job is to get his player's in the best situations possible. If Watson wants out, which all indications are that he does, I bet you Mulugheta's dream scenario is to have Watson traded to beautiful Miami with no state income tax and have him play for a 10-6 team, and try to get Fields drafted as high as possible at #2 overall by the Jets, and leave Zach Wilson or Tua for the Texans and wipe his hands clean from the organization altogether. 

Or, perhaps he knows he'll have leverage in Fields negotiations with a Texans front office that is under intense scrutiny and pressure to make all the right moves from here on out.

Far from "ending any chance" the Jets or Dolphins acquire Watson. If anything I think it fuels the rumors more.

How am I grasping at straws? This entire thread is grasping at straws, to assume an over the cap team is gonna trade a player away and endure a 26 million cap hit and then progressive large cap hits for the next four years is crazy. Mulugheta can try to force his way out, Watson can demand a trade, but he isn't going 🤷  sit out if you want DW, get all our money we're spending on you back plus a no.1 pick

3 minutes ago, Kirill said:

Has a QB ever had this much clout with just 1 playoff win? I don't even think Watson is that good.

I know this is a wild take but I do want to say as a Texans fan that he most definitely isn't as great as people say, he could put up an MVP season eventually but as of right now, he's way too inconsistent. I blame it on Bill NGL.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Nick_gb said:

4 hours ago, N4L said:

The hilarious part of that post was that Miami is literally Watson's number one choice 

"No way he goes to ... Miami" 

Lolol 

quote me when he goes to Miami 🤷  actually quote me when he comes out and says my top choice is miami and it becomes more than mort making "informed speculation"

4 minutes ago, Drained said:

I know this is a wild take but I do want to say as a Texans fan that he most definitely isn't as great as people say, he could put up an MVP season eventually but as of right now, he's way too inconsistent. I blame it on Bill NGL.

He just had an All-Pro caliber season at 25 and gets better every year. I think the consensus that he’s a top 5-7 QB is definitely warranted