Deshaun Watson requests trade

49ersfan

31 minutes ago, soflbillsfan said:

The issue with your argument is that they still have an owner that is incapable of making the right decisions as much as Cal McNair is doing. Truth is they had 100 mil in cap space twice with Mac, and twice with tannenbum, yet they lacked the idea of building up the team around the franchise qb. They move up to get darnold, who were his weapons and olineman at the time? When did they actually focus on getting him the required players to elevate his game? How many HC, OC, and GMs have they had in the last 10 years? This team is consistent on being inconsistent. It is a disorganized franchise that looks like it is on its way to be in a good position but blowing the picks on Watson as it will take a haul to do will prove they are the typical Jets. Yes fans may think this is the best move possible but the team is in a complete rebuild and they have only a couple of key assets on the team. To go in and waste them all on watson then the idea of being a capable team that is on its way up is now short on draft picks and short on cap space. Watson has guys like Cooks, Fuller, Stills, Coutee etc going to mims and crowder is an absolute downgrade. Not to mention outside of becton how is the oline going to fair? Mosley coming back is great but the DBs were picked apart last year and their best Safety is hitting FA. So overall this team is better of rebuilding the appropriate way through the draft rather then giving up multiple 1st rd draft picks.

Not to mention the Texans have to be willing to trade him, the texans can play hardball and let him sit out they have his rights for 5 years and possibly longer with the franchise tag. This isn't a player who isn't in a position to have leverage, let him pull a barry sanders and retire, Texans can hold his rights for as long as the contract and he will be out of the league. There is no reason as to why the texans should cave and give in to his demands. People can say well it looks bad on a dysfunctional franchise and they wont get players. I will say they are WRONG, money talks and if a team like the texans pay a player more then any other team looking for that players services they will be going to the Texans, not to mention their draft picks. We all just assume that this is a done deal but I do not see one reason as to why the texans should cave to his demands.

I guess. I don’t view the Texans as having the leverage. They definitely can hold onto him until some unicorn deal comes out where some team gives up 10 1st round picks, but who is going to give them that? The two likeliest teams in the running are within the same division, so whether Watson goes to the Jets or the Dolphins is largely irrelevant. Of those two squads the Jets have easily the better situation to build up a strong offense. They have the better foundational LT piece, they already have quality receivers in place. You’re acting as though what he had in Houston was some Bucs level assembling of talent. No, it’s not too different than what the Jets offer, only they had Watson and not Darnold throwing them the ball.

But again, who is giving Houston a better deal than an opportunity at a franchise QB off the jump?

What is your projected trade pieces for the team going “all in” for Watson? As opposed to dancing around it, supply your projected value and then we can talk. Outside of that, it’s very little to talk about. I gave my prediction and at best I could see a 2022 conditional 1st being included as well, at best. Which still leaves the Jets with assets to resign key FAs, sign a top WR option, sign some quality defensive pieces, and then take to the draft in a historically deep OL draft and build out the rest of their offense.

Much of the Jets terribleness last season was due to mismanagement and not simply a lack of talent. Same with the Browns with Hue and Freddie. The Jets under a competent coaching staff and with a few quality additions are easily in playoff contention. The division matters little when you’re talking about the most likely teams to trade for Watson being a) Also within the AFCE or within the NFCW which is known for being the toughest division in football top to bottom.

Lastly, ANY team going for Watson is going to have to give up a ton of resources that puts them in a difficult spot, so that’s not saying much (unless NE somehow uses blackmail or black magic to get Watson at a ridiculous price). But the Jets GM and HC is well respected around the league and widely recognized as good hires. Their past moves mean very little when judging their future moves considering they have a brand new GM. That’s like judging the Browns off of being the Browns.

If Watson is truly a competitor, he won’t be afraid to go to the AFCE and battle with that division. 

1 hour ago, lancerman said:

The Jets future was built off the idea that they had a treasure trove of assets and could either repair Darnold or draft a new QB. To get Watson they basically have to unload everything that was going to help them rebuild and it would be Watson on the worst team in the league with minimal ability to rebuild. 

Disagree. The talent on the Jets never was “worst in the league” level. There’s a reason why many people have panned Adam Gase as a terrible coach. Had he been handed a truly depressed roster than the reception likely would have been different.

The Jets have probably a 5 win roster currently that were mismanaged into a 2 win team. Quality coaching could extract possibly an extra game out of that talent. So throw in a franchise QB of Watson’s caliber and that could possible elevate the unit to a 8-9 win team, throw in their massive cap number and some well managed draft assets and they could realistically build an 11 win squad. The Dolphins, Patriots, and Bills aren’t without flaws and question marks on their squads. No reason to think they will all be powerhouses that keep “little brother down” so to speak.

Even if the Jets gave up their 2021 1sts, 2022 1st, and 2023 1st... they would still be well positioned. With 4 top 100 picks in 2021 and enough draft assets in future seasons to get by.

Now could the Jets similarly be well positioned without Watson, sure? But that’s banking on the prospect of either Wilson or Fields working out in a big way.

1 hour ago, lancerman said:

The Jets future was built off the idea that they had a treasure trove of assets and could either repair Darnold or draft a new QB. To get Watson they basically have to unload everything that was going to help them rebuild and it would be Watson on the worst team in the league with minimal ability to rebuild. 

Where are you getting this from?

Assuming it would cost the Jets in the neighborhood of #2 + two additional 1s - there's still plenty of draft capital left over. Moreover, should we just ignore the impact Watson would have on prospective free agents? The Jets will have roughly $70M to spend in an offseason where an unprecedented amount of teams will be strapped for cash. This idea that any trade will result in the Jets mortgaging the future is simply misinformed.

33 minutes ago, diamondbull424 said:

I guess. I don’t view the Texans as having the leverage. They definitely can hold onto him until some unicorn deal comes out where some team gives up 10 1st round picks, but who is going to give them that? The two likeliest teams in the running are within the same division, so whether Watson goes to the Jets or the Dolphins is largely irrelevant. Of those two squads the Jets have easily the better situation to build up a strong offense. They have the better foundational LT piece, they already have quality receivers in place. You’re acting as though what he had in Houston was some Bucs level assembling of talent. No, it’s not too different than what the Jets offer, only they had Watson and not Darnold throwing them the ball.

But again, who is giving Houston a better deal than an opportunity at a franchise QB off the jump?

What is your projected trade pieces for the team going “all in” for Watson? As opposed to dancing around it, supply your projected value and then we can talk. Outside of that, it’s very little to talk about. I gave my prediction and at best I could see a 2022 conditional 1st being included as well, at best. Which still leaves the Jets with assets to resign key FAs, sign a top WR option, sign some quality defensive pieces, and then take to the draft in a historically deep OL draft and build out the rest of their offense.

Much of the Jets terribleness last season was due to mismanagement and not simply a lack of talent. Same with the Browns with Hue and Freddie. The Jets under a competent coaching staff and with a few quality additions are easily in playoff contention. The division matters little when you’re talking about the most likely teams to trade for Watson being a) Also within the AFCE or within the NFCW which is known for being the toughest division in football top to bottom.

Lastly, ANY team going for Watson is going to have to give up a ton of resources that puts them in a difficult spot, so that’s not saying much (unless NE somehow uses blackmail or black magic to get Watson at a ridiculous price). But the Jets GM and HC is well respected around the league and widely recognized as good hires. Their past moves mean very little when judging their future moves considering they have a brand new GM. That’s like judging the Browns off of being the Browns.

If Watson is truly a competitor, he won’t be afraid to go to the AFCE and battle with that division. 

Yea I am not sure how you can not see them having the leverage they own his rights for the next 5+ years, they get cap back as well as money for every day he sits out of practice and games. Where if they trade him it still cost the team the same money as him being on the roster and then some. He has bonuses that involve him competing and hitting certain goals he will miss out on if he sits. 

Just saw the news. I’m not surprised. There was too much smoke for it not to be the case. Now we will see who’s right in the trade that eventually gets it done.

My guess is he goes to the Jets for #2, #23 and Seattle 2022 1st. Miami can compete with this offer. I just think they won’t. I also don’t see the Jets going too much beyond 3 1st. At that point, it becomes incrementally difficult to build around him, which defeats the purpose of getting him.

Wilson and Fields are two very different QBs. I can’t imagine Houston wanting one or the other. As a result, the #2 pick is much more valuable than #3.

Carolina and SF are in no mans land when it comes to drafting a QB. Houston would have to be comfortable with the 4th or 5th QB for that to make sense.

Edited by SDotNova

13 minutes ago, NJC33 said:

Assuming it would cost the Jets in the neighborhood of #2 + two additional 1s - there's still plenty of draft capital left over. Moreover, should we just ignore the impact Watson would have on prospective free agents? The Jets will have roughly $70M to spend in an offseason where an unprecedented amount of teams will be strapped for cash. This idea that any trade will result in the Jets mortgaging the future is simply misinformed.

It’s not just going to be multiple firsts lol. It’s going to pretty much eviscerate their next two drafts and maybe even cost a decent player. 

And no there aren’t even a bunch of players flocking to Houston with Watson there, you think they are going to a known dumpster fire? Players are going to look at playing with Mahomes, Brady, Rodgers, Stafford if he ends up on the Colts. You know good QB’s actually on contenders and not trying to get out of bottom feeder status. By the time they get to the Jets they aren’t giving them any discounts or anything  lol 

9 minutes ago, NJC33 said:

It is mortgaging the future because not only are you giving up the top end picks you are also having to pay him 35- 37 mil for the next 4 years, this year wont be that much but you have to take that in to consideration on top of other picks in between. Not to mention that you have no true weapons outside of a slot receiver in crowder. You now have to pay a top wr to come in and be your #1 which will not be cheap because you no longer have the draft capital to land a top weapon as you spent it on watson. Lets say you do have the #1 weapon that you paid in fa now that drops down even more. You then have to worry about the oline protecting Watson, which outside of becton who can you actually count on? Again dont have the draft capital to grab one in which now you have to pay for one. Not to mention your new HC is a defensive mind guy in which outside of Quinnen and Mosley you are missing quite a few pieces and that is not including if he changes the base package to what he ran with niners which was a 4-3 and not the 3-4 that you were just running this year. So things can change there too. Just because Watson is on the team doesnt mean that players would automatically go to NY if that was the case then why arent they in Houston right now? Players look at the history of an organization, how many GMs have been there, how many HCs have been there, how have they treated home grown players, how have they treated FA signing there and the history does not lie. You dump guys like Adams, Richardson, Wilkerson, Leonard Williams, that you have drafted and never really extended. Drafted high and sold them off. Then you look at FA signings like Bell who was paid and quickly cut the following year. So why would a player who views this and says I want to build a winning culture on a team that burns bridges quickly? Wouldn't they want to go to a team that has stability that has last longer then a month?

11 minutes ago, soflbillsfan said:

It is mortgaging the future because not only are you giving up the top end picks you are also having to pay him 35- 37 mil for the next 4 years, this year wont be that much but you have to take that in to consideration on top of other picks in between. Not to mention that you have no true weapons outside of a slot receiver in crowder. You now have to pay a top wr to come in and be your #1 which will not be cheap because you no longer have the draft capital to land a top weapon as you spent it on watson. Lets say you do have the #1 weapon that you paid in fa now that drops down even more. You then have to worry about the oline protecting Watson, which outside of becton who can you actually count on? Again dont have the draft capital to grab one in which now you have to pay for one. Not to mention your new HC is a defensive mind guy in which outside of Quinnen and Mosley you are missing quite a few pieces and that is not including if he changes the base package to what he ran with niners which was a 4-3 and not the 3-4 that you were just running this year. So things can change there too. Just because Watson is on the team doesnt mean that players would automatically go to NY if that was the case then why arent they in Houston right now? Players look at the history of an organization, how many GMs have been there, how many HCs have been there, how have they treated home grown players, how have they treated FA signing there and the history does not lie. You dump guys like Adams, Richardson, Wilkerson, Leonard Williams, that you have drafted and never really extended. Drafted high and sold them off. Then you look at FA signings like Bell who was paid and quickly cut the following year. So why would a player who views this and says I want to build a winning culture on a team that burns bridges quickly? Wouldn't they want to go to a team that has stability that has last longer then a month?

Yup you aren’t just paying him. You are giving up potentially 3 top level talent slots on cheap rookie contracts plus whatever else you need to give up to get him. 

He makes way more sense on a team like the Colts that are ready to go and only need a QB, have drafted well, and can probably endure 2 light drafts. The Jets are much better off just staying the course and rebuilding with their assets and filling in with free agency. Otherwise they will just get Watson and have to win a bunch of bidding wars 

• Like 1

Jets: Watson 

Texans: Darnold, Both Jets 1st, 2022 1st 

why for Jets: Watson gets his wish, and plays for a big market. Jets could go out and sign a big name wideout to make him happy like Juju/Kenny G/Robinson.... Jets playmakers wouldn’t be looking so bad, and they have a promising LT to protect Watsons blindside. They become buyers in free agency with this cap space.

why for Texans: Watson doesn’t want to he be there. Texans could use the assets since to rebuild the roster after BOB damage. Texans could give Darnold one year to see if he could thrive in a different environment and away from Gase. If Darnold flops they would be positioned to draft a QB early. Texans also clear a lot of cap space.  They should be able to do something with 4 first round picks the next two years and cap space. 

It’s the Texans, so I’m not ruling out the incompetence, but people are really figuring he goes for only three 1sts? 

Wentz the prospect went for 2 + a lot of change. RGIII the prospect was 3 + change.  I guess you could argue that teams will pay more of a premium “for the unknown”/hope of greatness, along with the rookie deal. 

But how many other 25 year old QBs at Watson’s level have ever become available? I’d be shocked if it wasn’t at least four 1sts. And that’s even factoring in that the Texans are the Texans. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, lancerman said:

No matter where Watson goes, it will be him moving on from a team that has no draft capital to improve the team around him to a team that just used all of their draft capital to obtain him. Kind of sucks either way; he has to really want out of Houston if he demanded a trade.

19 minutes ago, Yin-Yang said:

It’s the Texans, so I’m not ruling out the incompetence, but people are really figuring he goes for only three 1sts? 

Wentz the prospect went for 2 + a lot of change. RGIII the prospect was 3 + change.  I guess you could argue that teams will pay more of a premium “for the unknown”/hope of greatness, along with the rookie deal. 

But how many other 25 year old QBs at Watson’s level have ever become available? I’d be shocked if it wasn’t at least four 1sts. And that’s even factoring in that the Texans are the Texans. 

It depends on the team. Just saying he goes for x amount first is not a good view. RG3 was picked #2 overall. In the Jets case, the Texans would be getting the #2 overall. Now if it’s the Panthers, then yes 4 1st and some are probably required.

I don’t see the Jets and to a lesser extent Miami being the type of team that would offer some crazy deal. We are not in position to do that.

Carolina maybe. SF definitely is in position to go all in. So it comes down to how high do the Texans want to be in the draft. Is 4 1st and say a 2nd rounder from Carolina better than 3 1st from the Jets? 

Edited by SDotNova