Deshaun Watson requests trade

49ersfan

58 minutes ago, TecmoSuperJoe said:

John and Kyle need to be doing what they can to get Watson. I'll be gutted if they aren't in the final running for getting him. 

I said it before, but honestly, I think the group of teams in on Watson and the group of teams in on Stafford will be two separate groups. I see it as sort of a venn diagram with maybe a 1 team overlap 

Just now, ET80 said:

But I want to be Watson buddies with you!

I do too...but here's the thing....if the niners get Stafford, I get to be buddies with @theuntouchable. Do you know how difficult that is? Especially given the number of times I have killed him in Mafia? I thought friendship with Touch was an impenetrable barrier only obtained by Swag. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Forge said:

I do too...but here's the thing....if the niners get Stafford, I get to be buddies with @theuntouchable. Do you know how difficult that is? Especially given the number of times I have killed him in Mafia? I thought friendship with Touch was an impenetrable barrier only obtained by Swag. 

Pretty sure he is best friends with @The Orca and @Pickle Rick as well.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, 49ersfan said:

I'm sure Watson will go for a bit more, i'm wondering if its 3 or 4 1st round picks. 

I can't really remember at the time how Cutler was viewed. Watson is viewed as a top 5 QB now. Back then, i think fans were a bit more conservative and wanted players to ball out for 2-3 years before putting them on top 5 lists. 

Going into '09, there was Brady, Brees, Rivers, Ben, Eli in their primes. Ryan & Rodgers just had good 1st years as starters, Favre & Peyton as the vets, Romo, McNabb was still viewed highly i believe, Matt Cassell was also viewed highly enough to get traded for a 2nd round pick. 

Not sure what the consensus was on Cutler back then, not as high as Watson, but the QB landscape was very different.

By most metric based analysis I think he had 1 top 10 season - 2008 (2006 might have been close).  Volume was huge for him.  

He made Brandon Marshall a star and repeated it with him and Alshon Jeffery in Chi.    But he wasn’t on Watson’s level.   Den fans didn’t like the trade but the issue was who was coming in to replace them (Marshall a year later).  Kyle Orton & Brandon Lloyd lol.    Height of Josh McDaniel’s arrogance. 

9 minutes ago, Forge said:

But... That means you actually have to be buddies with @theuntouchable. Between the sponge baths and grope-spooning, it's basically a full time job.

True story - Touch and I are/were friends on the BookFace. (I say "were" because I left the BookFace). He liked a few pics of me posted by my wife, so my wife and him because BookFace friends.

So, I left the BookFace, but Touch didn't know - we were partnering up in Survivor and Touch wanted to use BookFace messenger to create a group to communicate off site (pre-dischord days). So, he sent a BookFace messenger to my wife, talking to her about game strategy and stuff - she had no idea who he was or what he was saying, she simply asked "Honey, who is this [insert @theuntouchable real name here] and why is he asking me to vote out the twins? Is that code for sending nudes?" AFAIK, Touch may or may not have nudes of my wife.

So... Be careful with Matt Stafford. That's all I'm saying.

• Like 6

1 minute ago, ET80 said:

But... That means you actually have to be buddies with @theuntouchable. Between the sponge baths and grope-spooning, it's basically a full time job.

True story - Touch and I are/were friends on the BookFace. (I say "were" because I left the BookFace). He liked a few pics of me posted by my wife, so my wife and him because BookFace friends.

So, I left the BookFace, but Touch didn't know - we were partnering up in Survivor and Touch wanted to use BookFace messenger to create a group to communicate off site (pre-dischord days). So, he sent a BookFace messenger to my wife, talking to her about game strategy and stuff - she had no idea who he was or what he was saying, she simply asked "Honey, who is this [insert @theuntouchable real name here] and why is he asking me to vote out the twins? Is that code for sending nudes?" AFAIK, Touch may or may not have nudes of my wife.

Would this pass as high quality gif? : HighQualityGifs

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, ET80 said:

Totes have nudes of you AND your wife. Spicy. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, soflbillsfan said:

Yea I am not sure how you can not see them having the leverage they own his rights for the next 5+ years, they get cap back as well as money for every day he sits out of practice and games. Where if they trade him it still cost the team the same money as him being on the roster and then some. He has bonuses that involve him competing and hitting certain goals he will miss out on if he sits. 

They have leverage, but so does he and he has more. Watson is guaranteed money for just reporting and practicing, he does not need to play games and put himself in harms way. He can develop as many back injuries and hamstring injuries as he pleases over the next 7 years and all the while his value would continue to decline for Houston.

At this point you’ve got two teams that could net you a young franchise QB asset guaranteed with the Dolphins and Jets. These franchise QBs also fit their teams “unique philosophical profile” in Tua and Wilson. Those teams can also both likely supply an additional 2-3 1st round picks on top of said QB prospect. If Houston is going to hold out for the farm, that’s their prerogative. But Deshaun can be as professional and as much of a head case as he needs to be in order to get his way. The league knows what’s up and what kind of dude he truly is and isn’t. Him forcing his way out of Houston won’t make them look any differently at him.

Meanwhile Houston after their mismanagement of assets and organizationally with their PR staff as well as with other top players, they stand to lose even more organizational clout by being petty with Watson and refusing to deal him. Cal McNair came out and apologized to Watson publicly, not because he likely feels bad about anything he did, but because he understands the optics of it all and how his team is currently perceived.
——

Beyond that, I feel no need to respond further until you answer the question I posed in the previous response. You flat out ignored it and just attached to the notion I believe Watson has more leverage here. He’s got the optics on his side, he’s a franchise QB which the entire league is in demand of, and he can do everything in his power to force the team to continue to pay him ridiculous sums of money, while not actually showing up on game days. This isn’t some Lev Bell or Melvin Gordon type of situation.

So again, unless you plan on answering the question as to your value prediction for this trade, there’s no need to continue this debate.

As I said, Watson’s legitimate suitors will be few because of his no trade clause. One of those teams already HAS a potential QBOTF in Miami with Tua and a boatload of picks to surround him with. The other has a boatload of picks and is in position to nab a QBOTF. Those teams also have their own leverage to stand on in negotiations for that reason.

So the question becomes. What more can Houston truly expect to get then a package from either the Jets or Miami. Something like:

#2 (Zach Wilson)
2022 1st
Conditional 2023 1st, 2nd, 3rd (if Watson makes AP team 2x than 1st, 1x than 2nd, or a 3rd if neither).

OR

Tua
2022 1st

Let’s just assume Watson opens up his teams that he’s willing to go to that includes contenders in well enough run organizations such as NE, SF, DEN, CHI. What better deal could they provide for Watson? Those teams would all be hard pressed to even put together a trade package to get into the top 3 picks to simply acquire the rights to either Wilson or Fields, let alone a package that could compete with the ones of above that get you said QBOTF as well as 2-3 1st round picks. The Jets and Dolphins are essentially, IMO, competing with themselves with regards to the value they can offer.