Deshaun Watson requests trade

49ersfan

3 hours ago, soflbillsfan said:

It is mortgaging the future because not only are you giving up the top end picks you are also having to pay him 35- 37 mil for the next 4 years, this year wont be that much but you have to take that in to consideration on top of other picks in between. Not to mention that you have no true weapons outside of a slot receiver in crowder. You now have to pay a top wr to come in and be your #1 which will not be cheap because you no longer have the draft capital to land a top weapon as you spent it on watson. Lets say you do have the #1 weapon that you paid in fa now that drops down even more. You then have to worry about the oline protecting Watson, which outside of becton who can you actually count on? Again dont have the draft capital to grab one in which now you have to pay for one. Not to mention your new HC is a defensive mind guy in which outside of Quinnen and Mosley you are missing quite a few pieces and that is not including if he changes the base package to what he ran with niners which was a 4-3 and not the 3-4 that you were just running this year. So things can change there too. Just because Watson is on the team doesnt mean that players would automatically go to NY if that was the case then why arent they in Houston right now? Players look at the history of an organization, how many GMs have been there, how many HCs have been there, how have they treated home grown players, how have they treated FA signing there and the history does not lie. You dump guys like Adams, Richardson, Wilkerson, Leonard Williams, that you have drafted and never really extended. Drafted high and sold them off. Then you look at FA signings like Bell who was paid and quickly cut the following year. So why would a player who views this and says I want to build a winning culture on a team that burns bridges quickly? Wouldn't they want to go to a team that has stability that has last longer then a month?

Your math is flawed. The Jets would be paying Watson an average of $29.3m over the course of his deal. His cap hits are 10.5, 20, 35, 32, 32. Plus he’s got a $17m roster bonus in year 3.

That’s a small price to pay for a franchise QB, that’s Kirk Cousins type of money. Certainly not enough to say that they would be mortgaging their future, when you consider that the last time the Jets have had a legitimate franchise QB was... Joe Namath? Maybe someone could make an argument for Pennington (I wouldn’t)? But even if we say Pennington that’s like 15 years; if we don’t include him than we’re talking like 45 years.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, lancerman said:

It’s not just going to be multiple firsts lol. It’s going to pretty much eviscerate their next two drafts and maybe even cost a decent player. 

And no there aren’t even a bunch of players flocking to Houston with Watson there, you think they are going to a known dumpster fire? Players are going to look at playing with Mahomes, Brady, Rodgers, Stafford if he ends up on the Colts. You know good QB’s actually on contenders and not trying to get out of bottom feeder status. By the time they get to the Jets they aren’t giving them any discounts or anything  lol 

You're either greatly undervaluing the #2 pick or overestimating the amount of teams capable of driving up the price - assuming the Jets offered #2, #23 and a first next year, who can beat that aside from the Dolphins over the next two drafts? I can see throwing in an additional second, but how exactly do you foresee the price getting to a point where the Jets would be forced to eviscerate their next two drafts? 

As for the latter, it's taken completely out of context, but sure. The Texans haven't had nearly the amount of cap space the Jets are set to have, so to compare apples-to-apples here is entirely illogical. Furthermore, homerism not withstanding, I'd like to think Saleh has already made an impact on the perception of this team. It's hard to remember someone as well respected/accomplished as Richard Sherman publicly advocating for others to sign with the Jets. He's also far from the only prominent name out there doing it. NYC isn't exactly a hard sell and if Saleh is as advertised around the league, you're out of touch if you think it's anywhere close to the dumpster fire situation you're portraying. 

31 minutes ago, NJC33 said:

You're either greatly undervaluing the #2 pick or overestimating the amount of teams capable of driving up the price - assuming the Jets offered #2, #23 and a first next year, who can beat that aside from the Dolphins over the next two drafts? I can see throwing in an additional second, but how exactly do you foresee the price getting to a point where the Jets would be forced to eviscerate their next two drafts? 

As for the latter, it's taken completely out of context, but sure. The Texans haven't had nearly the amount of cap space the Jets are set to have, so to compare apples-to-apples here is entirely illogical. Furthermore, homerism not withstanding, I'd like to think Saleh has already made an impact on the perception of this team. It's hard to remember someone as well respected/accomplished as Richard Sherman publicly advocating for others to sign with the Jets. He's also far from the only prominent name out there doing it. NYC isn't exactly a hard sell and if Saleh is as advertised around the league, you're out of touch if you think it's anywhere close to the dumpster fire situation you're portraying. 

Yup. If I’m a player, NY would be a definite destination that would be worth going to. Obviously the pandemic sort of lowers its status but with vaccinations and the fact that covid is a thing regardless of where you go, it’s sort of a wash. You figure many athletes are a fan of sports and being with a metro train of watching a Brooklyn Nets game with their Big 3 would be an event to consider. Not to mention Broadway, the increased global recognition within a city like NY (if the team is good).

None of this even considering the football implications, where you’ve got someone that seems destined to be a quality OC and a strong defensive mind at HC. A GM that was smart enough to keep Adam Gase around for an additional season so as to put the franchise in position to have plenty of assets to fix that squad vs trying to go the patchwork route as other GMs have done in the past.

I think if there’s a win/win/win scenario, it would be Watson to the Jets. I’d say the Dolphins as well, but tbqh, I think Tua having to go there would be an L that I’m not comfortable with. With that OL and the level of competence we’ve seen from that franchise, I’d be afraid Tua reinjures his hip. But with the Jets, that’s about as good a situation as I feel the Texans can really ask for in replacing Watson, Watson gets out and goes to a quality situation where he can once again be in playoff contention, and the Jets obviously get their first franchise QB in 50 years.

32 minutes ago, diamondbull424 said:

You figure many athletes are a fan of sports and being with a metro train of watching a Brooklyn Nets game with their Big 3 would be an event to consider.

Watson and former Rocket/current Net James Harden were both fast friends...

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, NVRamsFan said:

The question is more can Watson force a trade and how bad could he make it for the Texans to not trade him where he wants to go. 

Three first rounders says he's a tier one guy. He's not, he's in the Kirk Cousins tier.