Deshaun Watson requests trade

49ersfan

52 minutes ago, lancerman said:
6 hours ago, TecmoSuperJoe said:

Word. 

Expand  

This is purely based on his age. If I'm the Packers I'm not looking at him. If I'm the Bucs I'm not. If I'm the Bills it's not even a thought. If I'm the Jags I'm rolling with the Lawrence pick. 

Age and contract for the next team. He will be sub $30m/yr, which will be cheap as the QB contracts this offseason will be ~$40m/yr. 

As for teams not interested, I would throw Dallas in there as well as long as they can sign Dak. Although Watson had a great year, Dak was on pace to demolish every passing record there is. In terms of best seasons by ANY/A it looks like this:

Watson in 2020

Dak 2016

Dak 2019

Dak 2020

Watson 2017

I also dont think the Ravens, Browns, Titans, Chargers, Cards or Seahawks would have any real interest in him.

Edited by Matts4313

9 hours ago, Matts4313 said:

I gotta see your tier list of QBs...

Not me you were asking, but it's a good question.  I'm not going to put too much thought into this, I'm just going to go down the list and do a gut reaction ranking based on 2020 only so i'll include Rivers and Brees

1. Patrick Mahomes, KC
  2. Aaron Rodgers, GB
  3. Russell Wilson, SEA
  4. Tom Brady, TB
  5. Josh Allen, BUF
  6. Dak Prescot, DAL
  7. Lamar Jackson, BAL
  8. Deshaun Watson, HOU
  9. Drew Brees, NO
  10. Kyler Murray, ARI
  11. Matt Ryan, ATL
  12. Ryan Tannehill, TEN
  13. Kirk Cousins, MIN
  14. Jared Goff, LAR
  15. Matthew Stafford, DET
  16. Joe Burrow, CIN
  17. Justin Herbert, LAC
  18. Baker Mayfield, CLE
  19. Derek Carr, OAK
  20. Phillip Rivers, IND
  21. Teddy Bridgewater, CAR
  22. Ben Roethlisberger, PIT
  23. Alex Smith, WAS
  24. Jimmy Garropolo, SF
  25. Cam Newton, NE
  26. Mitch Trubiskey, CHI
  27. Sam Darnold, NYJ
  28. Tua Tagovailoa, MIA
  29. Gardener Minishew, JAX
  30. Carson Wentz/Jalen Hurts, PHI
  31. Drew Lock, DEN
  32. Daniel Jones, NYG

So while I agree Watson is above the Cousins tier, I think he is outside the top 5 as well.

• Like 3

40 minutes ago, THE DUKE said:

So while I agree Watson is above the Cousins tier, I think he is outside the top 5 as well.

Dak and Lamar ahead of Watson (based on 2020)? I don't disagree with your list for the most part (Josh Allen seems premature, but I get it) but curious on your take here.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ET80 said:

Dak and Lamar ahead of Watson (based on 2020)? I don't disagree for the most part (Josh Allen seems premature, but I get it) but curious on your take here.

Like I said, gut reaction, but if I had to pick a QB (healthy) for my team just for 2021, i'm taking Dak and Lamar (and Allen obviously) over Watson.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, diamondbull424 said:

Yup. If I’m a player, NY would be a definite destination that would be worth going to. Obviously the pandemic sort of lowers its status but with vaccinations and the fact that covid is a thing regardless of where you go, it’s sort of a wash. You figure many athletes are a fan of sports and being with a metro train of watching a Brooklyn Nets game with their Big 3 would be an event to consider. Not to mention Broadway, the increased global recognition within a city like NY (if the team is good).

None of this even considering the football implications, where you’ve got someone that seems destined to be a quality OC and a strong defensive mind at HC. A GM that was smart enough to keep Adam Gase around for an additional season so as to put the franchise in position to have plenty of assets to fix that squad vs trying to go the patchwork route as other GMs have done in the past.

I think if there’s a win/win/win scenario, it would be Watson to the Jets. I’d say the Dolphins as well, but tbqh, I think Tua having to go there would be an L that I’m not comfortable with. With that OL and the level of competence we’ve seen from that franchise, I’d be afraid Tua reinjures his hip. But with the Jets, that’s about as good a situation as I feel the Texans can really ask for in replacing Watson, Watson gets out and goes to a quality situation where he can once again be in playoff contention, and the Jets obviously get their first franchise QB in 50 years.

Why is NY a definite Destination because of stuff outside of the game? Look these players care about winning and this organization has yet to prove any stability. If NY was such an amazing place how come the Mets, Nets, Knicks, and Jets have had zero rings the last 20 years and have been almost irrelevant in that time with the minor Mets making it to the World Series once. You think these players care about catching a basketball game? They care about winning, and making sure they are on the right team. when you see players come and go whether it is through FA and sign deals to only be cut a year later, or when you are drafted by the team to only see the rookie deal if lucky to then be moved on from, to see HC after HC come and go on an average 2-3 year basis not to mention the same with GM. That is what these players are looking at. Same with Miami why is it that Miami isnt bringing in more and more talent because of the weather and things to do. All these things you mention outside of football are meaningless because at the end of the day making money and winning put them in a better situation to enjoy those destinations in the offseason. Catch a Nets game at your second home in the offseason while enjoying your fat bonus that you get for making the playoffs or a superbowl. Stability is where its at and both Miami and Jets are far from that and history has proven that with both Johnson and Ross as owners. 

Also the jets have picked top 10 9 out of the last 10 years and 5 of them have been top 5 they had shots at landing a franchise qb and took it on darnold for only them to fail him by not building the proper team around him with zero weapons on offense and no oline to protect him. You can try to sell the theory of all the glitz and glamour that NYC has to offer but at the end of the day this is what players truly see and avoid going to places like that because of the dysfunction that is the owner. Which fyi is the reason why Watson wants out to avoid further dysfunction, stability is where he needs to go or it will just be a repeat in houston. 

7 minutes ago, THE DUKE said:

Like I said, gut reaction, but if I had to pick a QB (healthy) for my team just for 2021, i'm taking Dak and Lamar (and Allen obviously) over Watson.

That's cool, I get it. I'm probably biased, but for Watson to do what he did with the supporting cast he had was a miracle. But, I have a dog in this fight, so it could be just me.

5 minutes ago, ET80 said:

Dak and Lamar ahead of Watson (based on 2020)? I don't disagree for the most part (Josh Allen seems premature, but I get it) but curious on your take here.

I dont know why anyone wouldnt have Dak and Watson at least in the same tier. Dak was on pace for 7k total yards (6,600 passing), 68% comp, with 46 TDs. His efficiency numbers are drug down by having 4 INTs in 4.5 games, but two of those were last second hailmary's - which arent super reflective on a QBs skill. Chances are he wasnt going to end up with 8 INTs from hailmarys - which he was on pace for. So its very likely that he would have bested Watson, and virtually every other QB, in most statistical ways. 

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, THE DUKE said:

Not me you were asking, but it's a good question.  I'm not going to put too much thought into this, I'm just going to go down the list and do a gut reaction ranking based on 2020 only so i'll include Rivers and Brees

1. Patrick Mahomes, KC
  2. Aaron Rodgers, GB
  3. Russell Wilson, SEA
  4. Tom Brady, TB
  5. Josh Allen, BUF
  6. Dak Prescot, DAL
  7. Lamar Jackson, BAL
  8. Deshaun Watson, HOU
  9. Drew Brees, NO
  10. Kyler Murray, ARI
  11. Matt Ryan, ATL
  12. Ryan Tannehill, TEN
  13. Kirk Cousins, MIN
  14. Jared Goff, LAR
  16. Joe Burrow, CIN
  17. Justin Herbert, LAC
  18. Baker Mayfield, CLE
  19. Derek Carr, OAK
  20. Phillip Rivers, IND
  23. Alex Smith, WAS
  24. Jimmy Garropolo, SF
  25. Cam Newton, NE
  26. Mitch Trubiskey, CHI
  27. Sam Darnold, NYJ
  28. Tua Tagovailoa, MIA
  31. Drew Lock, DEN
  32. Daniel Jones, NYG

Goff ahead of Baker? Burrow ahead of Baker? Murray at 10? I think Watson is arguably slightly overrated, but I still easily take him over Jackson.

Definitely strongly disagree with your list.

1 hour ago, THE DUKE said:

1. Patrick Mahomes, KC
  2. Aaron Rodgers, GB
  3. Russell Wilson, SEA
  4. Tom Brady, TB
  5. Josh Allen, BUF
  6. Dak Prescot, DAL
  7. Lamar Jackson, BAL
  8. Deshaun Watson, HOU
  9. Drew Brees, NO
  10. Kyler Murray, ARI
  11. Matt Ryan, ATL
  12. Ryan Tannehill, TEN
  13. Kirk Cousins, MIN
  14. Jared Goff, LAR
  16. Joe Burrow, CIN
  17. Justin Herbert, LAC
  18. Baker Mayfield, CLE
  19. Derek Carr, OAK
  20. Phillip Rivers, IND
  23. Alex Smith, WAS
  24. Jimmy Garropolo, SF
  25. Cam Newton, NE
  26. Mitch Trubiskey, CHI
  27. Sam Darnold, NYJ
  28. Tua Tagovailoa, MIA
  31. Drew Lock, DEN
  32. Daniel Jones, NYG

I'd rather have Brees, Kyler, and Matt Ryan than Watson.

Watson ball velocity is bottom 3 in the NFL he makes up for it with good ball placement but in the playoffs it's still a flaw.

1 hour ago, THE DUKE said:

1. Patrick Mahomes, KC
  2. Aaron Rodgers, GB
  3. Russell Wilson, SEA
  4. Tom Brady, TB
  5. Josh Allen, BUF
  6. Dak Prescot, DAL
  7. Lamar Jackson, BAL
  8. Deshaun Watson, HOU
  9. Drew Brees, NO
  10. Kyler Murray, ARI
  11. Matt Ryan, ATL
  12. Ryan Tannehill, TEN
  13. Kirk Cousins, MIN
  14. Jared Goff, LAR
  16. Joe Burrow, CIN
  17. Justin Herbert, LAC
  18. Baker Mayfield, CLE
  19. Derek Carr, OAK
  20. Phillip Rivers, IND
  23. Alex Smith, WAS
  24. Jimmy Garropolo, SF
  25. Cam Newton, NE
  26. Mitch Trubiskey, CHI
  27. Sam Darnold, NYJ
  28. Tua Tagovailoa, MIA
  31. Drew Lock, DEN
  32. Daniel Jones, NYG

Lol Herbert below another rookie when he just had the best rookie QB season ever and has much more potential.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, jrry32 said:

Because when you have a team that can win and are missing a QB, you are going to be willing to give up compensation for a guy who can get you to the playoffs.

I said he was fringe top 10 at his best (2017 and 2018) and top 20-23 at his worst (2020). And I already addressed the rebuilding point in another post.

My question though is if you are rebuilding why pay a qb that is making 28 mil. If you failed with one of the most offensive genius HC in the game as well as a solid offense what makes you think Goff is going to be successful with an inferior offensive mind coach and a lackluster weapons that rebuild teams will be in the situation? IMO the only 2 HC that are offensive minded who are either on the same level or better then McVay are Shanahan and Reid. Maybe pre-CBA which rookies got a ton of money based on their draft pick but not now it would be smarter to risk wasting a high pick on a qb then being cap strapped with a qb who has shown at best what he can do under the best circumstances which wasn't good enough. The only team I could see taking the risk is a team with a HC on the hot seat and have no answer at QB in the draft they have to pay a ton to move up. I do not see any current team in the position. I just don't see goff being moved this year with the salary cap lower then the previous year and very few teams with HC going on the hot seat this season without a qb. Denver and Chicago are the only 2 teams with HC on the hot seat and no real answer to the QB position. Denver just hired a new Gm so he is not going to go all in on goff and he will plan accordingly. That leaves the Bears and right now they are over the cap and cannot afford to pay Goff his money. I think Rams stick with Goff and he ends up starting over Walford this season. 2022 will be a different story if Rams dont succeed.