Deshaun Watson requests trade

49ersfan

2 minutes ago, SalvadorsDeli said:

That's not how that works. Dak's efficiency was a direct byproduct of basically getting to be a deluxe game manager who didn't have to throw in volume. 

Last comment I will make about Dak in this thread unless it directly relates to Watson:

• Dak was 3rd in the NFL in yards per an attempt. Meaning he was a downfield thrower, not a check down manager. 
  • There has been something like ~10-15 QB's ever in the history of the NFL to have over an 8.0 ANY/A (the most important stat imo).... Dak was at 7.9.

Dak carried his weight and then some. He didnt have bulk because Garrett insisted we replicate the 2014 season when we handed the ball off a million times. We had just spent the #4 overall on a running back (dumb) and our OL was really good that year. But even with that, Zeke only faced a stacked box ~20% of the time (around league average).

Either way - efficiency stats, specifically ANY/A, are the best barometer on comparing seasons. Dak was a driving reason as to why we had the #1 record in the NFL, not a game manager. 

7 minutes ago, Matts4313 said:

Last comment I will make about Dak in this thread unless it directly relates to Watson:

• Dak was 3rd in the NFL in yards per an attempt. Meaning he was a downfield thrower, not a check down manager. 
  • There has been something like ~10-15 QB's ever in the history of the NFL to have over an 8.0 ANY/A (the most important stat imo).... Dak was at 7.9.

Dak carried his weight and then some. He didnt have bulk because Garrett insisted we replicate the 2014 season when we handed the ball off a million times. We had just spent the #4 overall on a running back (dumb) and our OL was really good that year. But even with that, Zeke only faced a stacked box ~20% of the time (around league average).

Either way - efficiency stats, specifically ANY/A, are the best barometer on comparing seasons. Dak was a driving reason as to why we had the #1 record in the NFL, not a game manager. 

Yeah look I'm not really interested in derailing a Deshaun Watson thread to get in an extended back and forth on this with Dak's publicist so this will be the last I say as well, but none of what you said really changes my point. Passing in lower volume lends itself to over-weighting deep passes and maximizing efficiency. It's just apples to oranges trying to compare that to someone like Herbert, and you certainly can't just extrapolate his numbers when gaming out what he'd look like with higher pass attempts. I think the direct comparisons for Dak are more with putting him up against other rookie QB's in similar situations and responsibilities like Big Ben in 04 and Russel Wilson in 2012 rather than holding him up against guys like Herbert or someone like Cam Newton in 2011, and Dak would certainly have a good case for being the best version of that kind of rookie QB. 

Anyways IMO I think, regardless of how everything went afterwards, when combining team context and achievements, individual responsibilities, and output, RG3's rookie year is probably still the most impressive rookie year I've seen. 

4 minutes ago, SalvadorsDeli said:

Anyways IMO I think, regardless of how everything went afterwards, when combining team context and achievements, individual responsibilities, and output, RG3's rookie year is probably still the most impressive rookie year I've seen. 

That was a good one. And what a staff: Mike Shanny, Kyle Shanny, McVay, Matt LaFluer. 

It is interesting you pick him though, he and Wilson had ~250 less attempts than Herbert. 

22 minutes ago, Mastercheddaar said:

I think we are all forgetting something about the Watson to NYJ or Watson to Jax talks, Watson controls where he goes. If I'm him, my short list is Indy, NO, NE, and Miami. 

MC

As much as I hate them, I think you have to include WFT and SF9ers as places Watson would immediately make competitors. 

1 minute ago, Matts4313 said:

That was a good one. And what a staff: Mike Shanny, Kyle Shanny, McVay, Matt LaFluer. 

It is interesting you pick him though, he and Wilson had ~250 less attempts than Herbert. 

It shouldn't surprise you that I think it's important to also remember and value what a QB offers with his legs. 😉

3 hours ago, soflbillsfan said:

Why is NY a definite Destination because of stuff outside of the game?

Ah. I see your game. You cherry picking parts of posts out of context, while not responding to the things you’re actually challenged on. Got you.

FWIW, “definite destination worth going to” is what I stated. You pulled a news article and cut out my words for the spin. Your version means Watson is definitely going there, my version means Watson would definitely worth considering them as a legitimate option.

Lastly all that other stuff is meaningless. Players go to destinations for a multitude of reasons. Vision, potential, nightlife, etc. The Jets haven’t had a franchise QB in like 50 years, hard to win a SB when that’s the case. They’re a decade removed from back to back AFCCGs when they had a competent coach and organizational vision. They now seemingly have a competent coach in place and seemingly have a vision in place.

Considering the rumors that Watson is interested in the Jets, I think that moreso validates my perspective that it’s a definite destination to consider than your perspective that they’re essentially trash. They’ve already got a solid WR core foundation in place. They already have a LTotf option in place. They have enough trade ammo they can spread around to still build a playoff contender pretty immediately and still enough resources the following seasons to build something more. So all this to say, your logic is flawed. Premium player talent has already been attracted there based on vision. Bell and Mosley all went to the Jets because of the vision and that was under an incompetent coach/management.

But hey, what next will you cherry pick and how many more times will you evade the question. It’s comical at this point.😂 

The AFC East if the Jets get Watson is going to be absolutely insane. The Bills are already situated as a contender moving forward, the Dolphins are on the upswing and will likely join them if Tua doesn't bust, you'd have the Jets with Watson... the would-be bottom feeder in that division would then somehow be Bill Belichek's Patriots, who you'd expect to find a way to be competitive. You'd end up with a similar dynamic to the AFC North where the only team without a likely stud franchise QB is a historically competitive and strong franchise, setting it up to be an absolute dogfight moving forward. 

It would be funny to see that come to fruition after years of the Pats and Brady being dinged for just beating up on bottom feeders in their division. 

Edited by SalvadorsDeli

2 hours ago, THE DUKE said:

I'm a Bengals fan, so of course i'm biased, but I wouldn't switch if I could make it happen.  I have both more towards the middle because I want to see more and see how they are in year two.  Burrow was very very good with pretty much no running game this year, a washed up AJ Green, and one of the worst olines in football.  Higgins and Boyd are good targets, but one is a slot guy who is a good #2 and the other was a rookie.

We have e terrible OL with so many injuries. Allen is good but Herbert had a bunch of TDS to UFAs. Our running game was bad.

I would say offensive weapons were even or advantage Bengals tbh.

I think the only route for the Rams to get Watson would be for them to put on a recruiting blitz and get Deshaun to tell the Texans he will only accept a trade there, and having the Texans be okay with taking Goff back as a part of a package. 

Otherwise it just doesn't really add up to me. In any trade the Texans need to get whoever they want their next franchise QB to be in return, whether that's a high draft pick or a QB already in the league like Tua. The Rams don't have the draft capital to give the Texans what they need. They could try a bank shot trade package where they try and pawn Goff off no another team and try and get a 1st in return. But the only team where that route makes sense is the Colts, since they can't get involved in the Watson sweepstakes, but the 21st pick is way too low a pick to be one of the anchor pieces of the package. Any other team thinking about trading their assets for Goff would rather just go a little bigger for Watson in the first place. The Rams basically need to foreclose the possibility of the Jets/Dolphins options being on the table, and then they need the Texans to talk themselves into Goff being a viable franchise guy moving forward. Honestly not an impossible route for them but certainly difficult.  

27 minutes ago, Matts4313 said:

He was significantly more effective running the ball.  It's close, so I wouldn't argue too hard either way.

1 minute ago, SalvadorsDeli said:

I think the only route for the Rams to get Watson would be for them to put on a recruiting blitz and get Deshaun to tell the Texans he will only accept a trade there, and having the Texans be okay with taking Goff back as a part of a package. 

So not only are the Texans taking back Goff and his contract, but they're also not getting a FRP this year?  I don't see how Caserio even entertains the idea.

Thats tampering and not allowed. It would only work if the Texans allowed it.

Otherwise it just doesn't really add up to me. In any trade the Texans need to get whoever they want their next franchise QB to be in return, whether that's a high draft pick or a QB already in the league like Tua. The Rams don't have the draft capital to give the Texans what they need. They could try a bank shot trade package where they try and pawn Goff off no another team and try and get a 1st in return. But the only team where that route makes sense is the Colts, since they can't get involved in the Watson sweepstakes, but the 21st pick is way too low a pick to be one of the anchor pieces of the package. Any other team thinking about trading their assets for Goff would rather just go a little bigger for Watson in the first place. The Rams basically need to foreclose the possibility of the Jets/Dolphins options being on the table, and then they need the Texans to talk themselves into Goff being a viable franchise guy moving forward. Honestly not an impossible route for them but certainly difficult.  

It would likely have to be a Goff + Donald + Picks before it would even registers a chance.