Watson trade rumors

LoganF89

2 hours ago, e16bball said:

Watching the incredible level of QB play yesterday, the idea of trading for Watson seems a lot more appealing. 

We’re lucky that, much like it did a generation ago, a lot of the elite young QB talent appears to be settling in the AFC — with guys like Mahomes, Allen, Lamar, Watson, Herbert, Burrow, Mayfield, Lawrence, Tua, etc. Fortunately, we won’t have to navigate that gauntlet throughout the playoffs over the coming years. But we’re still going to have to go through the best of those guys to win a Super Bowl, and surely there will be some great talents emerging in the NFC as well.

There are very few people in the world capable of playing QB at that high a level. Deshaun Watson is one of them.

Obviously, we’d prefer not to tear up our team in order to land the QB. But when you have the QB, the team around them doesn’t matter quite so much. Obviously the team can’t be awful (Watson’s Texans this year stand as an example), but look at the lineups for the teams that played yesterday — these are not really All-Star teams, with perhaps the exception of the TB offense. They all have a great target for their QB (or two, in the case of the teams that won), and they have good players of course. But when you have a top-level QB, you don’t necessarily need a complete roster around him. Which is why I’m more comfortable today with the idea of making a big trade for Watson than I have been until now. 

We were a quality linebacker away from beating one of those qbs. The GOAT at that. In the playoffs.

The focus has been to build the defense up. That should continue above all for success. Cant stop in the middle. Dump everything on 1 player.

Have a qb with everything else incompletely built. Were no better off than the Texans or Detroit have been the past decade.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, PARROTHEAD said:

We were a quality linebacker away from beating one of those qbs. The GOAT at that. In the playoffs.

The focus has been to build the defense up. That should continue above all for success. Cant stop in the middle. Dump everything on 1 player.

Have a qb with everything else incompletely built. Were no better off than the Texans or Detroit have been the past decade.

We were more than a LB away from beating Tom Brady, don’t he Brice Allen and think “we’re close” bc we went 7-9 with 5 of those wins with Alex Smith, not one of our younger QBs.

We need upgrades at FS in D & might need an upgrade at CB if we can’t re-sign Darby, we need an upgrade at WR & depth at TE.

5 hours ago, PARROTHEAD said:

I’m so torn, because part of me agrees with you. 

But the other part is saying that it’s really hard to keep a “complete” roster together for more than a couple seasons. We’re kinda seeing that happen with San Fran now. They had a hell of a team put together, good enough to go to the Super Bowl last year with a mediocre QB. 

And that roster is already getting picked apart. Joe Staley retires. They trade a couple picks to replace him with Trent, and now they’re gonna have to pay him big bucks if they want to keep him. Staring down the barrel of a ton of money committed to the DL, they trade Deforest Buckner and replace him with Javon Kinlaw. Big downgrade now and probably moving forward as well. Nick Bosa blows out his knee, who knows when he’ll be back to his old self. They’re probably going to lose guys like Richard Sherman, Dee Ford, Solomon Thomas Jaquiski Tartt, etc. to free agency this year. Fred Warner is about to get real expensive or real gone. That might make it tough to pay Dre Greenlaw. 

The point being, that looked like a stacked roster and a contender for years. But it’s less than a year later, and they’re already seeing serious attrition. And they’re not poorly run or anything — it’s just that the nature of the game and especially the contract/salary cap rules make it really difficult to keep a full roster together for very long. 

As best I can tell, the teams that are staying on top consistently for periods of years have either an elite QB or an elite personnel department. Everyone else has been either a brief flash in the pan or an occasional fringe contender just hoping to get hot at the right time. 

I could even get on board if we still had the Smith-led scouting department in place. Based on how they’ve done, I could have believed they’d consistently unearth enough talent to keep churning the roster and replacing departed contributors year after year (like Baltimore does). But now we have Rivera, Hurney, and Mayhew. I have no belief that those guys can reach that consistently high level of talent acquisition. Which, to me, means that the only way we see a sustained winner here is the elite QB route. Barring that, I just think our best hope is a couple years as a flash in the pan before having to break down and build up again.

• Like 4

7 hours ago, PARROTHEAD said:

I generally agree, but I would also say that a team rarely is ever complete especially on both sides of the ball.  You always have a hole or two and usually as the season goes on injuries add another couple holes.  

My only and final offer for Deshaun Watson:

2021 first round pick

2022 first round pick

2022 second round pick 

2023 first round pick

And even then I hesitate, because with our luck... he tears his acl or something in first year. 

Edited by Umbaugh21

I’d give up our next three first round picks, two seconds and Antonio Gibson + Daron Payne. I can’t go any further than this. Both DEs, McLaurin and Curl are off limits. It would kill me to part with Gibson as well because he’s going to be a superstar. 

6 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

I’d give up our next three first round picks, two seconds and Antonio Gibson + Daron Payne. I can’t go any further than this. Both DEs, McLaurin and Curl are off limits. It would kill me to part with Gibson as well because he’s going to be a superstar. 

I feel like you could take Gibson off that list and we would still be their best offer, I could be wrong though. And man it would suck to get rid of Payne. I honestly don’t know if I would be okay with this trade. 

I guess one thing that’d put me at comfort with ridding of Payne is knowing that Ionnadis is coming back and having settle and then Brantley coming back. But man Payne was our best defensive player against the Bucs in playoffs. 

Edited by Umbaugh21

I’ll say it again that the only player I wouldn’t trade for Watson is Chase Young. This franchise hasn’t had anything close to resembling a franchise QB since Joe Theisman 35 years ago when I was 6 and now I’m 41.

The difference Watson would make for our offense is immeasurable. I’d certainly give up Sweat for that, any 1 of our DTs, Gibby, Collins, Curl, Fuller, or Terry. We all love these players but come on, it’s a franchise QB a top 5 QB and top 5 playmaker at the QB position IMO only after Mahomes & Rodgers IMO.

We get Watson and only lost Montez Sweat for example as well as two or three 1st round picks and other picks too we’d be a perennial playoff team for as long as Watson would be our QB - hopefully the next 10-15 years - and probably a Super Bowl contender too after signing a few FAs to go w/ Watson.

2 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

They aren’t trading him to an AFC team. 

I wouldn’t definitely rule that out the Dolphins or Jets bc they have the 2nd & 3rd overall pick in the draft & they can give the Texans back a young developing QB too as well as other picks and players.

• Like 1