Watson trade rumors

LoganF89

Watching the incredible level of QB play yesterday, the idea of trading for Watson seems a lot more appealing. 

We’re lucky that, much like it did a generation ago, a lot of the elite young QB talent appears to be settling in the AFC — with guys like Mahomes, Allen, Lamar, Watson, Herbert, Burrow, Mayfield, Lawrence, Tua, etc. Fortunately, we won’t have to navigate that gauntlet throughout the playoffs over the coming years. But we’re still going to have to go through the best of those guys to win a Super Bowl, and surely there will be some great talents emerging in the NFC as well.

There are very few people in the world capable of playing QB at that high a level. Deshaun Watson is one of them.

Obviously, we’d prefer not to tear up our team in order to land the QB. But when you have the QB, the team around them doesn’t matter quite so much. Obviously the team can’t be awful (Watson’s Texans this year stand as an example), but look at the lineups for the teams that played yesterday — these are not really All-Star teams, with perhaps the exception of the TB offense. They all have a great target for their QB (or two, in the case of the teams that won), and they have good players of course. But when you have a top-level QB, you don’t necessarily need a complete roster around him. Which is why I’m more comfortable today with the idea of making a big trade for Watson than I have been until now. 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, e16bball said:

Watching the incredible level of QB play yesterday, the idea of trading for Watson seems a lot more appealing. 

We’re lucky that, much like it did a generation ago, a lot of the elite young QB talent appears to be settling in the AFC — with guys like Mahomes, Allen, Lamar, Watson, Herbert, Burrow, Mayfield, Lawrence, Tua, etc. Fortunately, we won’t have to navigate that gauntlet throughout the playoffs over the coming years. But we’re still going to have to go through the best of those guys to win a Super Bowl, and surely there will be some great talents emerging in the NFC as well.

There are very few people in the world capable of playing QB at that high a level. Deshaun Watson is one of them.

Obviously, we’d prefer not to tear up our team in order to land the QB. But when you have the QB, the team around them doesn’t matter quite so much. Obviously the team can’t be awful (Watson’s Texans this year stand as an example), but look at the lineups for the teams that played yesterday — these are not really All-Star teams, with perhaps the exception of the TB offense. They all have a great target for their QB (or two, in the case of the teams that won), and they have good players of course. But when you have a top-level QB, you don’t necessarily need a complete roster around him. Which is why I’m more comfortable today with the idea of making a big trade for Watson than I have been until now. 

I don't see any possible way we could outbid the Dolphins or Jets for Watson, and we know they are both interested.  The Texans are going to want a replacement at QB if they trade him, and the Jets and Dolphins can give both their current QBs on rookie contracts plus the #2 or #3 overall pick which could bring a rookie QB.  We can't offer anything like that.  With that in mind I don't expect us to be players in this.  

Edited by MKnight82

39 minutes ago, MKnight82 said:

I don't see any possible way we could outbid the Dolphins or Jets for Watson, and we know they are both interested.  The Texans are going to want a replacement at QB if they trade him, and the Jets and Dolphins can give both their current QBs on rookie contracts plus the #2 or #3 overall pick which could bring a rookie QB.  We can't offer anything like that.  With that in mind I don't expect us to be players in this.  

Thank you Football Gods. !

If not Watson, it also made me more comfortable with the idea of making a move to get Trey Lance. He has the physical upside to one day be on the level of these guys, and if they meet with him and determine that the intangibles are also elite, I’d be fine if they decided to take a big swing on his potential.

They’d have to manage it correctly and give the kid a lot of time to develop — is it still looking like mere coincidence that Brady, Rodgers, and Mahomes all sat for at least their first season? — but the upside is there for him to be a star. I’m more locked in than ever on star upside at the QB position, it’s really the only thing that matters. 

40 minutes ago, MKnight82 said:

Agree in concept. But we can offer the ability to not have to compete against Watson for the next decade. 

If I was trading a great young franchise QB, I would be pretty set on moving him out of conference. How set? Not sure, but it would be a factor.

Edited by e16bball

7 minutes ago, e16bball said:

Agree in concept. But we can offer the ability to not have to compete against Watson for the next decade. 

If I was trading a great young franchise QB, I would be pretty set on moving him out of conference. How set? Not sure, but it would be a factor.

Idk, I don't think the football people are in charge in Texas.  They have the same problem we have with a meddling owner.  That owner is going to want a new QB to sell tickets and jerseys.  

And I do think you’re very likely right, @MKnight82, I think it’s unlikely we’ll be the team with the ammo to get Watson. 

I was just discussing the advisability of it. If we could land him for a couple 1sts plus Sweat or Payne plus a 2nd and a 3rd or something like that, it would absolutely be a big hit to the depth and potential star power of the team. But watching those teams yesterday, it wasn’t about depth or having star players across the field — like you see with a BAL or a PIT or an SF, perhaps. It was about transcendent QB play, and the quality of the rest of the roster was basically just the tiebreaker in each game.

That’s not to say you can just land a QB and then call it quits on development and still prosper. But having a guy on that level unlocks the gates to the promised land, and you spend your time for a decade trying to figure out how best to complete the picture around him — instead of sitting around hoping to catch lightning in a bottle with a year or two of a perfect complete roster. 

1 minute ago, e16bball said:

And I do think you’re very likely right, @MKnight82, I think it’s unlikely we’ll be the team with the ammo to get Watson. 

I was just discussing the advisability of it. If we could land him for a couple 1sts plus Sweat or Payne plus a 2nd and a 3rd or something like that, it would absolutely be a big hit to the depth and potential star power of the team. But watching those teams yesterday, it wasn’t about depth or having star players across the field — like you see with a BAL or a PIT or an SF, perhaps. It was about transcendent QB play, and the quality of the rest of the roster was basically just the tiebreaker in each game.

That’s not to say you can just land a QB and then call it quits on development and still prosper. But having a guy on that level unlocks the gates to the promised land, and you spend your time for a decade trying to figure out how best to complete the picture around him — instead of sitting around hoping to catch lightning in a bottle with a year or two of a perfect complete roster. 

I don't disagree.  I would probably offer 19, 2021 first, 2022 first, 2021 second and DE Montez Sweat and I think the Jets will say here's #2, #23, 2021 first, 2021 second and QB Sam Darnold and I think the Texans take that over ours.  

5 minutes ago, MKnight82 said:

Idk, I don't think the football people are in charge in Texas.  They have the same problem we have with a meddling owner.  That owner is going to want a new QB to sell tickets and jerseys.  

I can’t help but feel like you’re saying that a proven playoff QB™️ like Taylor Heinicke wouldn’t be enough of a sweetener to take our trade offer over the top   #hottake

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, MKnight82 said:

@e16bball if you throw Sweat into the deal you try to bring back Kerrigan.

That’s my thought. Go with Kerrigan, JSW, and perhaps a lower-level veteran FA (Jihad Ward made some plays for BAL and they’re going to get picked clean at DE). It’s not nearly as good as Sweat obviously — but it’s still pretty good for by far your worst DL spot. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, e16bball said:

Now your picking up what I’m putting down. The only player I wouldn’t trade for Watson is Chase Young. Outside of that, I’d do it.

I mean I know you weren’t the biggest Cousins fan but it just goes to show you when we had him we were a .500 team despite having a bad running game and defense so a good to great QB can cover up a lot of other issues on your team.

DeShaun w/ our top 5 D makes us a Super Bowl contender I think.

Edited by turtle28