Watson trade rumors

Just now, LoganF89 said:

I don’t think you can give them two Dlineman the. You are killing the depth of our strong unit. 

I hear what your saying about curl being more attractive over Collins, I would just hate to give him up bc the team improved so much when he got on the field.

i don’t think Collins was a fit for this defense and at his age I still think he has a lot to give but just to another team

Where else do you make the trade from if they want defensive players?  KPL, Bostic and Holcomb can be found on waivers or later in the draft, those are just guys.  We still need to re-sign Darby, and Moreland isn't going to move the needle on a trade.  We might be overrating Curl a tad bit, I'm not sure he stacks up when you are talking about trading for a borderline top 5 QB.  He could be a find, but he was also a seventh round pick, so the jury is out.  Collins, with his contract and achilles injury, has negative trade value. 

So that leaves us with the defensive line to trade.  Ioannidis, despite his season ending injury, probably gets included here because he has a good contract.  So that leaves Payne/Allen as the other decisions.  

Three first rounders and one player might still be the better package when you think about it.  

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, Drained said:

Don't see that happening, our d-line is young and good, the issues with the run imo was all coaching, the issue is our secondary. We have two good defensive backs, the rest are ST-level players roleplaying as starter level.

As I just mentioned in a reply, it might have to be three firsts and a player then.  Maybe another second gets added as well.  

18 hours ago, naptownskinsfan said:

Where else do you make the trade from if they want defensive players?  KPL, Bostic and Holcomb can be found on waivers or later in the draft, those are just guys.  We still need to re-sign Darby, and Moreland isn't going to move the needle on a trade.  We might be overrating Curl a tad bit, I'm not sure he stacks up when you are talking about trading for a borderline top 5 QB.  He could be a find, but he was also a seventh round pick, so the jury is out.  Collins, with his contract and achilles injury, has negative trade value. 

So that leaves us with the defensive line to trade.  Ioannidis, despite his season ending injury, probably gets included here because he has a good contract.  So that leaves Payne/Allen as the other decisions.  

Three first rounders and one player might still be the better package when you think about it.  

When you look at the Texans defense, they need another pass rusher & a NT. They have good ILBs - better than ours - they have good DBs - equal to ours or possibly better - but, they could use Payne at NT and one of our DEs (Chase or Sweat). 

If I’m Washington and I’m giving up 2 pro bowl caliber DL though, I’d definitely say to them that one of their demands for two firsts needs to be moved to just 1 first. 

It’s a bad idea!!! I’m just going to leave it at that about the Watson trade. Look at Tampa and KC. They not only have top 5 QB’s they have loaded rosters. We just aren’t there and this trade not only doesn’t put us there. It gives us the QB and cripples the roster going forward on the back pay of the trade. I get he’s exciting. But this trade happening says more to me then we just aren’t going to win. It tells me that they would destroy whats been built to tear it down for one player who sells jerseys while we wonder why we’re not getting anywhere in the playoffs. Chase is special but lots is special players get contained. But when he and Tez and Payne keep growing with this rotation and we add pieces on the back end and we add some weapons on offense and we have a deep roster in a year or two then trade for a guy. Don’t do it right now when your legit not as close as people are acting like we are. Dude we legit wouldn’t have even had a shot with a healthy Dak this year. The Giants swept us for crying out loud idc why they made our defense look soft. It’s just not the right time and this type of move would go along way in showing just how far off we are

2 hours ago, ARTMONK HOF said:

If we happen to be in the Watson sweepstakes, PLEASE DO NOT INCLUDE THIS MAN! I would be crushed if we did! He makes Young and Sweat better!

I love Payne and agree with you on him making the other better.He'd still the one I'd trade on the Dline,He's always struck me as a guy that going to get top DT somewhere esp since he fits in almost every scheme.

Realistically we're never going to be able to pay 4 Dlineman top dollar and its always made me think we'd be better off payining Allen and frontloading the deal in 1st 2 years.Trading Payne (Think you'd easily get more for Payne then Allen) then having the cap again come Sweat and Chase time.Also a reason I'd trade Payne is He becomes a FA same year as Terry and can't tag both.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, lavar703 said:

This franchise can’t afford to make this trade. If they did I think it would cripple us for years. 

Franchise also can’t afford to pay 4 DL $10 plus million a year... kinda makes sense to package one of them for a good starting QB if possible rather than to lose one or two of them for noting but a compensatory pick.

• 2 weeks later...

Somewhat surprised that no one has mentioned the Panthers and their moves:

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/are-panthers-clearing-so-much-cap-room-to-make-a-run-at-deshaun-watson-heres-what-carolinas-cleared-so-far/

And then there's this:

https://catcrave.com/2021/02/20/deshaun-watson-3-trade-packages-christian-mccaffrey/ (specifically option #3)

Watson out of the AFC? Check.
Get 3 first round picks in the deal? Check.
Get a QB back in the deal? Check.
Get a defensive player in the deal? Check.

So, while having DeShaun Watson on the roster would be oh-so-nice, I think Washington has been bid out of the market for his services.

• Like 1
25 minutes ago, Woz said:

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/are-panthers-clearing-so-much-cap-room-to-make-a-run-at-deshaun-watson-heres-what-carolinas-cleared-so-far/

And then there's this:

https://catcrave.com/2021/02/20/deshaun-watson-3-trade-packages-christian-mccaffrey/ (specifically option #3)

So, while having DeShaun Watson on the roster would be oh-so-nice, I think Washington has been bid out of the market for his services.

Woz, I don't think he's worth it. Not at that price, anyways.

Don't get me wrong, he's a very talented a player.

But if I'm paying that price, he better have Playoff wins & the ability to put a team on his shoulders despite the talent deficiencies around him.

Something he's done, neither of. 

Imo, Mahommes is worth that price.

But not Watson.

I would rather pay a little bit less for an older A. Rodgers, which is what we wisely will do.

We all should be thankful, we aren't going to set our team back 5 years for a move foolishly done possibly by the Panthers.

6 minutes ago, aceinthehouse said:

I would rather pay a little bit less for an older A. Rodgers, which is what we wisely will do.

I don't think the Packers trade Rodgers this year because they would have to eat a lot of dead cap to do it. Next year? That's a different story.

• Like 1
14 minutes ago, Woz said:

I don't think the Packers trade Rodgers this year because they would have to eat a lot of dead cap to do it. Next year? That's a different story.

Couldn't Washington offer to eat some of that dead cap, in exchange for lowering the compensation to aquire him? (I have no idea if they can, but maybe you know)

If so, Washington is one of the few teams who could do that I'm guessing.

We could then get cap relief from a Alex Smith releasing or him retiring.

3 hours ago, aceinthehouse said:

Couldn't Washington offer to eat some of that dead cap, in exchange for lowering the compensation to aquire him? (I have no idea if they can, but maybe you know)

If so, Washington is one of the few teams who could do that I'm guessing.

We could then get cap relief from a Alex Smith releasing or him retiring.

He just won his 3rd league MVP award. While it might be a bit cheaper to get Rodgers relative to Watson, it's not going to be that much less.

• Like 1
7 hours ago, Woz said:

And then there's this:

Yes, maybe we didn’t mention it here but I think we talked about it somewhere. Also, the Panthers can send back Bridgewater as a bridge QB.

So, they get Bridgewater, McCaffery, the 8th pick this year to take Fields or Lance to develop behind Bridgewater and then their 2022 & 23 firsts.