Watson trade rumors

LoganF89

32 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

That’s worked the last 27 years...

So when has any team traded half of that without a stacked defense made it anywhere no matter who they traded for? The exception is only Wentz and Philly was loaded. And look at where they are with the mismanagement of assets since that pick and what happens when said player stops playing at peak performance. Watson is one cut away from being 2013 RG and that is a very real possibility with his knee. You can’t not draft a QB high or move up if your sold on one because it didn’t work the last 27 years. 

1 hour ago, ripsean21 said:

So when has any team traded half of that without a stacked defense made it anywhere no matter who they traded for? The exception is only Wentz and Philly was loaded. And look at where they are with the mismanagement of assets since that pick and what happens when said player stops playing at peak performance. Watson is one cut away from being 2013 RG and that is a very real possibility with his knee. You can’t not draft a QB high or move up if your sold on one because it didn’t work the last 27 years. 

Tell me when it hasn’t worked? I can’t think of any team trading their franchise QB which I why I continue to say that no matter if people want to trade for him or not, I don’t see this happening.

I’m just pointing out this franchise has had no luck in finding a franchise QB or one that could win a Super Bowl with since Rypien and they’ve tried about everything to try to find that guy.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, turtle28 said:

Tell me when it hasn’t worked? I can’t think of any team trading their franchise QB which I why I continue to say that no matter if people want to trade for him or not, I don’t see this happening.

I’m just pointing out this franchise has had no luck in finding a franchise QB or one that could win a Super Bowl with since Rypien and they’ve tried about everything to try to find that guy.

I mean trading picks for players IMO it rarely works out but I totally get it we’ve sucked we had bad luck but bad luck tends to fallow teams that make bad personnel and management decisions and I’d say Houston has embodied the mismanagement side lately we have been there but very cautiously I say I’ve seen slight growth this year and the last few atleast in the draft dept so I’m hoping we continue our build because I believe we’re about to strike gold this offseason I really do I think we are going to make the right decision for this staff and team at that position.

Another reason you can’t justify a Watson trade is go look at the structure of his contract. His cap hit is 10.5 mil for 2021. So while you hear that number and your like wow you can lock up Brandon and drop smith and you still have 35 million to play with. Well when you figure in how high his cap hit jumps in 2022 and then again in 2023 I promise you no matter what you give up for desean in draft capital your also trading away your realistic shot at keeping 3 of the key 6 on the DL!!! You can not make this type of commitment for a guy who has 2 ACL’s. We got beyond burned on the Alex deal because the guarantees and elevation of cap hit and dead money we were essentially IR’ing 24 plus mil the second he went down. Watson’s cap hit gets close to 50 million could you imagine that figure on IR at some point your talking about complete lack of competitive players on the field and it’s at the cost of the patience of building a team with depth and youth.

We’ve been patient I know the shiny new toy franchise guy sounds and looks so great but I promise you that this type of move literally scraps everything we are building for future multiple runs in a window into forcing this team to gel this year and next year with out of worldly expectations and I just think it’s a huge mistake. One more smart FA class and the proper move to get a younger cheap QB while adding talent around him to allow growth and success while having some guys who are cheap they can sit behind for a season or less and this team could be one of the deepest toughest brightest teams this move is the type of move that desperate teams make. You’ve done the work you’ve been patient do not get away from the plan just because one player you didn’t expect that hasn’t done anything here comes up.

We’ve made the knee jerk choices and I think this is a mistake. We a legit one offseason away from running away with our division with the proper move at the QB position. You can Pay Dak and that makes a million times more sense then trading for a player just slightly better and losing picks. But a smart team identify’s their guy in this draft loaded with all sorts of different types of QB’s and they go get their guy.

Edited by ripsean21

As much as I love our DL, outside of Chase Young and Sweat, you can find replacements for the other guys. It’s much harder to find a franchise QB. Which, is again why I don’t see the Texans trade Watson. If we had him, I wouldn’t want to trade him either.

I don’t think this team is an offseason away from running away with this division. The Giants and Cowboys’s franchise players were hurt this year. Those teams will also get better next year. 

I don’t think Dak will be a FA either. I think it’s a pipe dream that he is.

Edited by turtle28
  • Like 1

I don't think it's feasible to trade for Watson.

As much as I would endorse such a move? The cost financially & player/draft pick wise is not conducive for what we're trying to build here.

I'm afraid it would dwarf, the RG3 trade.

And it would limit other areas of need for this team.

Don't get me wrong. If we pulled it off, I'd be gungho about the season & ready to create "We're going to the Superbowl" threads.

But do I think that's what we need to do, to make the Superbowl?

Absolutely not.

• Like 2

On 1/11/2021 at 12:36 PM, e16bball said:

So the equivalent value of almost 5 “right now” first rounders? For the right to pay a guy $35-40M/year? 

He’s great. But he’s not that great. If he was on a rookie deal, that’s one thing, but no one can give up 4-5 current year 1st round picks worth of value for the right to give someone 20% (or more) of the salary cap. Not when that guy isn’t a walking, talking one-man perennial playoff berth, which clearly he isn’t. We’d just end up as 2020 Texans East in a couple seasons, with Chase Young in the role of JJ Watt.

If they end up looking for anything approaching that, they’re just gonna be keeping him. Which they should anyway, so I guess it all works out in the end. I don’t blame them (or hypothetical you) for asking for the world, but I don’t believe anyone can meet that price and still prosper. 

I respect where your coming from, and I respect it. At the same time, what is the price on a 26 year old QB who just led the league in passing, AFTER they trade his only true #1 WR? That is the #1 valued commodity in the NFL today, possibly in all of sports period.

And as far as the compensation, I am confused on my request for potential compensation, you say 5 first round picks? The 1rst this year, the 1rst in 2022 and Montez Sweat...that's only 3.....I am assuming your saying Terry McClaurin is worth a 1rst (which is debatable, seeing what Hopkins went for, coupled with the Free Agent crop of WR and what's coming out in the Draft), so where do I ask for 5 first round picks? (or did you add up the 2's and 3? just trying to find the math).

On 1/11/2021 at 1:29 PM, ripsean21 said:

So essentially your asking for the anti Bill O’Brien deal to make up for every bad trade he made to fix those that’s not how it works. But I promise no team is paying that!!! RG’s trade is about where your at for a realistic return maybe a pick or two more or less mid round to juice the deal but I just want you to realize what you just wrote is a trade that Nobody would even say no you’d hang up the phone!!! That’s insane!!!

No I am not asking for any type of makup trade. I am simply stating what I think the price for a 26year old Franchise QB under contract for 4 more years, who just led the league in passing after his top WR got traded away, and had no running game. So Yes, I think he is worth more than Ionidis and 4th 🙂. With the conversations that I have had with local Redskins fans (I know that Chad Dukes got put off the air and Grant and Danny just took over the evening drive now), I think that almost the opposite has taken place, the RGIII trade left such deep scars, that all the trades that my boy's have run through me to get my opinion have all started WOEFULLY low. I respect that, trust me as a Browns fan, I understand giving up too many draft picks in a bad trade....but trading a couple of your Depth players and a 2nd and 4th to get a Proven Young Franchise QB (who's not even in his Prime yet) that just led the league in passing, in my opinion is the #1 commodity to try and acquire in the NFL. 

Just my humble opinion, attempting to bring some outside opinion that it takes more than 1 first round pick and a couple of "Throw in" pieces to get Franchise QB.

9 minutes ago, DaWg_LB. said:

What do you consider a fair offer? Just curious?

I think the Texans will ask for Chase Yooung and picks. I’m not talking about fair compensation, I’m talking about what the Texans would want, not what other teams want to give up bc remember the Texans have Watson under contract, they don’t have to trade him.

Edited by turtle28
  • Like 1