Rivera on the OL

turtle28

On 1/7/2021 at 11:24 PM, mar29020 said:

why let shereff walk, we have money.

While true, the cap is also projected to drop this off-season barring some last second backroom negotiating on a "force majeure" clause that would keep it flat.  I haven't seen anything from the cap sites to indicate that it will happen.  

One of the many reasons why some teams, the Eagles included in that, are looking to be completely screwed.  Not only are they currently over the current cap heading into next year, but Over The Cap is estimating an 11.2% drop in the cap.  If, for some reason, there are delays in vaccination or Covid morphs, there could be further revenue impacts for 2021 which drops the cap even further.  

Scherff would be best suited to sign for a year at the same amount and see what happens.  I know that is counter-productive, but I can't see a team with the uncertainty on the cap giving a guard big money this year.  It would allow Scherff the chance to test free agency next winter when things should be much more clear, and as @bigdog44 mentioned, it gives the team a chance to clear up the QB room.  

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, naptownskinsfan said:

While true, the cap is also projected to drop this off-season barring some last second backroom negotiating on a "force majeure" clause that would keep it flat.  I haven't seen anything from the cap sites to indicate that it will happen.  

One of the many reasons why some teams, the Eagles included in that, are looking to be completely screwed.  Not only are they currently over the current cap heading into next year, but Over The Cap is estimating an 11.2% drop in the cap.  If, for some reason, there are delays in vaccination or Covid morphs, there could be further revenue impacts for 2021 which drops the cap even further.  

Scherff would be best suited to sign for a year at the same amount and see what happens.  I know that is counter-productive, but I can't see a team with the uncertainty on the cap giving a guard big money this year.  It would allow Scherff the chance to test free agency next winter when things should be much more clear, and as @bigdog44 mentioned, it gives the team a chance to clear up the QB room.  

This offseason is very interesting to me as you say the Cap plays a big factor and I think all signs says it goes down.

Sportrac is currently predicting the cap to be around 175 Mil where it was 198 mil this year

While we are projected to have 40 mil at least 10 teams are projected to be at least 16 mil over that when the offseason start including the Eagles 77 mil and Saints 99 mil over.

I'd Guess Scherff wants a 5 year 75 mil Contract making him the highest paid guard per year or do you wait and see how the cap space works out elsewhere.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, naptownskinsfan said:

We’re projected to have $40.5 mil with the cap I believe being at $175 million.

30 minutes ago, ovfd55 said:

This offseason is very interesting to me as you say the Cap plays a big factor and I think all signs says it goes down.

Sportrac is currently predicting the cap to be around 175 Mil where it was 198 mil this year

While we are projected to have 40 mil at least 10 teams are projected to be at least 16 mil over that when the offseason start including the Eagles 77 mil and Saints 99 mil over.

I'd Guess Scherff wants a 5 year 75 mil Contract making him the highest paid guard per year or do you wait and see how the cap space works out elsewhere.

As @naptownskinsfan said, it’s a risk for Scherff to sign another one year deal or just do another franchise tag if we tag him but it’s probably the smart move. I expect by next fall most people who want to be vaccinated in the USA will be - or everyone will be by then - and while fans will probably still be required to wear masks, stadiums will at least be 50% full if not like 75% full and revenue will rebound for the teams.

So, the 2022 cap will likely go up again, maybe back up to where it was this year approaching $200 million.

It’d probably be best for Scherff and most players to take one year deals this year just bc of the cap situation and wait until next offseason when the cap goes up.

The 2022 offseason could be the biggest FA market of all time if that happens!

1 hour ago, turtle28 said:

As @naptownskinsfan said, it’s a risk for Scherff to sign another one year deal or just do another franchise tag if we tag him but it’s probably the smart move. I expect by next fall most people who want to be vaccinated in the USA will be - or everyone will be by then - and while fans will probably still be required to wear masks, stadiums will at least be 50% full if not like 75% full and revenue will rebound for the teams.

So, the 2022 cap will likely go up again, maybe back up to where it was this year approaching $200 million.

It’d probably be best for Scherff and most players to take one year deals this year just bc of the cap situation and wait until next offseason when the cap goes up.

The 2022 offseason could be the biggest FA market of all time if that happens!

It might be in Scherff best interest I just don't see him doing it here though we already tagged him which players don't like then we just gave the guy beside him a 4 year deal at 10 mil at worse he'll check market and find someone offering close to what he wants and might give us a chance to match if we let him get to that point

3 minutes ago, ovfd55 said:

It might be in Scherff best interest I just don't see him doing it here though we already tagged him which players don't like then we just gave the guy beside him a 4 year deal at 10 mil at worse he'll check market and find someone offering close to what he wants and might give us a chance to match if we let him get to that point

Yes but Scherff has said he wants to play his entire career in Washington, this isn’t a Cousins vs Dan/Bruce type thing. It’s an entirely different situation. 

Maybe giving him the non-exclusive franchise tag makes sense then, we can match another teams offer.

23 hours ago, turtle28 said:

He just got All-Pro, so obviously a lot of people disagree.

When healthy he can play like an all-pro.  I don't disagree with that.  I just think the healthy part is rare.  Kind of like trent williams.  TW would often be on the field nicked up, while he was a warrior to play hurt, you weren't getting his top play.  Anyways , like I said I think this is a really tough call.  .

26 minutes ago, offbyone said:

When healthy he can play like an all-pro.  I don't disagree with that.  I just think the healthy part is rare.  Kind of like trent williams.  TW would often be on the field nicked up, while he was a warrior to play hurt, you weren't getting his top play.  Anyways , like I said I think this is a really tough call.  .

I don’t think it’s a tough call. You can’t build a football team scared thinking that everyone you sign or draft is going to get hurt. You draft/sign the best players you can.

5 hours ago, turtle28 said:

We’re projected to have $40.5 mil with the cap I believe being at $175 million.

Now don’t we have carry over? And what about that insurance on smith? Was it ever real? This would be the year to use that stuff and front load contracts

8 minutes ago, LoganF89 said:

Now don’t we have carry over? And what about that insurance on smith? Was it ever real? This would be the year to use that stuff and front load contracts

I thought the insurance policy only happened if Alex didn’t come back. I don’t know about carry over, I assume the $40.5 million is what we have.

32 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

I don’t think it’s a tough call. You can’t build a football team scared thinking that everyone you sign or draft is going to get hurt. You draft/sign the best players you can.

There is a big difference between being scared and having a real history of multiple major injuries.  

49 minutes ago, offbyone said:

There is a big difference between being scared and having a real history of multiple major injuries.  

They haven’t been bad enough where he’s missed entire seasons. I would weigh that with his All-Pro play and I’d rather have the All-Pro player at my disposal. Every time this franchise creates an unnecessary hole by letting a good starter go, it usually makes the team worse.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.si.com/nfl/washingtonfootball/.amp/news/football-team-salary-cap-update

4 hours ago, turtle28 said:

I thought the insurance policy only happened if Alex didn’t come back. I don’t know about carry over, I assume the $40.5 million is what we have.

This is what I was talking about with the carry over if they decide to use it, idk how that works 

17 hours ago, bigdog44 said:

The decision really isn’t Ron’s, it’s Brandon’s. Does he really want to play here with the ever changing QB situation? I think Scherrf doesn’t sign anything until Ron gets the Quarterback room straightened out. 

I wonder if (and how much) Heinicke's play today might sway Scherff.

I’m not sure even Scherrf has thought about it to this point. Since he already turned down an extension, I get the feeling he’s going to test the market and take his time before he signs anywhere. Is one good start by some unknown kid going to change how he approaches his 1 huge payday? I doubt it.