Deshaun Watson

Ty21

13 hours ago, WindyCity said:

It will be more. He is a 25 year old franchise QB.

I would do the Mack trade for him in a heartbeat.

How does this not sound like the Jay Cutler trade? I am getting goose bumps thinking about it. Watson is a good QB but he is not in the Rogers, Mahomes, Brees etc tier. If he was he would be winning way more games.

I would love him as a Bear, but he doesn't turn us into contenders, we need to build around him - better OL, weapons, strong defense and running game. How do we do that with our cap and lack of picks due to his trade?

By the time we give him a shot he will be 28-29, and with the way he takes hits he isn't going to last until 35.

46 minutes ago, Nads786 said:

How does this not sound like the Jay Cutler trade? I am getting goose bumps thinking about it. Watson is a good QB but he is not in the Rogers, Mahomes, Brees etc tier. If he was he would be winning way more games.

I would love him as a Bear, but he doesn't turn us into contenders, we need to build around him - better OL, weapons, strong defense and running game. How do we do that with our cap and lack of picks due to his trade?

By the time we give him a shot he will be 28-29, and with the way he takes hits he isn't going to last until 35.

Agreed 100%. Bears had their shot at building around Watson in the 2017 draft and didn't take him and now we are talking about trading the whole farm for him and basically re playing the Jay Cutler scenario again? 

Although I do think Watson is a better QB than Jay was ...it still doesn't make much sense considering what they'd have to part with to realistically make this happen. And then how do you then plan on building a successful team around him.

The Texans evidently couldn't so what makes people think Bears could?

This would be another desperate move and just make Bears look like an even worse and desperate organization than they already appear.

Edited by topwop1

To add on to above...I believe best case scenario for the Bears this offseason is to see if a QB drops to them in the 20s where they will be picking and basically get lucky.

I can see Trey Lance or Mac Jones falling to them. If so they should take a shot and hope for the best.

And if he doesn't look like he has what it takes then they should take another shot in the following years until they find that QB.

With a crappy cap situation, a mediocre/bad oline, ARob headed for FA and an aging defense this team needs all the draft capital they can get a hold of...

And for the record I think the Mack trade compensation would be more than fair trading for Watson...the problem is that Houston will not be stupid enough to trade him for something that small.. especially now that they have Caserio running things.

Edited by topwop1

If Watson get's traded, that probably tells me that the Texan's do not value him and therefore he isn't as great of a player as we all think. If Watson get's traded to a QB inept team (Bears, Redskins, Vikings etc) it would further reinforce this point. 

A great QB does NOT get traded, you might as well cancel your contract with your GM because that's how important they are. 

1 hour ago, Nads786 said:

He is a top 5 QB in the league. He would instantly make us contenders.

He just put up 5300 yards and 36 TDs on a god awful dysfunctional mess of a team.

There are 3 QBs in the league better than him, Rodgers, Mahomes, Russell and then it is him and Josh Allen.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

He is a top 5 QB in the league. He would instantly make us contenders.

He just put up 5300 yards and 36 TDs on a god awful dysfunctional mess of a team.

There are 3 QBs in the league better than him, Rodgers, Mahomes, Russell and then it is him and Josh Allen.

When was the last time a top 5 QB didn't make the playoffs? I believe Brees had 5,000 yards and went 8-8. The Texans are far worse than that team. How can a QB be top 5 yet his team have such poor results?

23 minutes ago, Nads786 said:

When was the last time a top 5 QB didn't make the playoffs? I believe Brees had 5,000 yards and went 8-8. The Texans are far worse than that team. How can a QB be top 5 yet his team have such poor results?

QB wins are not a stat anyone actually uses.

There team was bad, their coach/GM was fired week 4, and their defense allowed 100 points a game.

Edited by WindyCity

4 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

QB wins are not a stat anyone with brain cells actually uses.

There team was bad, their coach/GM was fired week 4, and their defense allowed 100 points a game.

I'm not indicating there is a direct relationship with a QB and wins. I understand there are many factors involved in winning a game, especially close games. I think there is a strong indirect relationship with QB performance and overall wins. 

The Texans won 4 games with a top 5 QB. I question how any QB could be "top 5" with such an abysmal record. 

2 hours ago, WindyCity said:

QB wins are not a stat anyone actually uses.

And what makes you think Bears won't also be bad if they have to give up all those draft assets for Watson with an already declining defense and minimal cap space?

1 hour ago, topwop1 said:

And what makes you think Bears won't also be bad if they have to give up all those draft assets for Watson with an already declining defense and minimal cap space?

I'd rather take my chances with an actual QB than allowing this doofus GM get the chance at another. Who would you rather have for the next 4 years: Trubisky, Foles, Watson or some slappy that Pace takes in April? I'm taking Watson even if you subtract a ton of draft capital & cap room

• Like 1

1 hour ago, topwop1 said:

Because we aren’t run by Bill O’Brien. I am not a Pace fan, but he is 100% better than BOB.

2 hours ago, topwop1 said:

Because Pace has already been able to show he can build up a defense. He hasn't shown he can draft or develop a QB with either coach he's had. Having Watson isn't only a 2021 thing, he's young and has 10 or more years ahead of him.

8 minutes ago, Sugashane said:

Because Pace has already been able to show he can build up a defense. He hasn't shown he can draft or develop a QB with either coach he's had. Having Watson isn't only a 2021 thing, he's young and has 10 or more years ahead of him.

I hear your point. I think Pace is good at finding talent in the mid/late rounds but he's also shown an inability to properly build an OL around his QB.

It's just so Bears for them to have to now and try to over pay  for the guy instead of just getting it right in the first place when it was right there in front of them for the taking.

I also don't know if Pace would have the stones to admit he was wrong and try and trade for Watson. Especially considering he didn't even interview him one on one before the draft lol.

New GM maybe I could see it..but if Pace remains I think he would be more likely to try and trade for a guy like Wentz while his value is ultra low then for Watson. Especially since we have coaches here who have familiarity with Wentz already such as Flip.