Week 18 - GDT - Wildcard round - Bears (8-8) @ Saints (12-4)

Mid Iowa

I'm thrilled to be in the playoffs, and a little miffed that we're playing this weekend rather than having a bye, but I guess that's what NFL execs do, they change rules that don't make sense, sometimes.

Anyway, Da Bears are coming to town. This is an interesting 8-8 team. I think the Bears have discovered that Tribusky is actually better than they though he was, and frankly, they'd likely be more like 10-6 or 11-5 had they kept him in as the starter. David Montgomery is a really good running back (who tweaked his knee last week) and we'll see the return of Jimmy Graham, who's not near the threat he used to be.

The Bears D-line is scary. I'll just leave it at that. The difference of this game will be keeping Brees clean. I'll save the typical "have a strong running game" for another time, because that's just gotta be strong.

Interesting note: The Bears did not use their full allotment of tickets for Sunday's game, so the general public now have a chance to see this game live, and in person.

Our team - Michael Thomas, Deonte Harris, and 3 of our running backs (Latavius Murray, Michael Burton, and Dwayne Washington) have been allowed back from the injury reserve/covid list Wednesday, and Kamara can return for the game Sunday. Gardner-Johnson may have been back today (Thursday) but I'm not sure, and P-Rob is actually off the injury list, but hasn't been activated yet, leaving D.J. Swearinger on the list of currently unknowns.

So, a lot of our team coming back.
The pros and cons to that is Brees and Thomas haven't connected on a pass since the 3rd quarter of week 9, the blowout of the Buccs. So there's gonna be some timing issue there. The pros are that Thomas and Brees should both be fairly well rested, and should have fuel in the tank for a good playoff run.
Same goes with our backs, they've had some good rest, and should be ready for a strong return.

Im tired of making excuses for this team... The Saints have the most talented roster in the NFL top to bottom and should win this game. Annything less than a Superbowl apperance this year will be a major failure, Lord knows how much of our future was mortgaged for this very season.

No excuses... Superbowl or bust!!!

• Like 1

12 hours ago, whodatworm23 said:

Im tired of making excuses for this team... The Saints have the most talented roster in the NFL top to bottom and should win this game. Annything less than a Superbowl apperance this year will be a major failure, Lord knows how much of our future was mortgaged for this very season.

Agreed! I won't say anything more, because the last time I criticized our team's performance, I was called an idiot and not a Saints fan, LOL.

I'm dreaming of coming out like we did in 2009. Just whooping the crap out of everyone in our path. Playing nasty, playing with a purpose, playing for all we got!!!

2009 - #FinishStrong

36 minutes ago, Mid Iowa said:

Agreed! I won't say anything more, because the last time I criticized our team's performance, I was called an idiot and not a Saints fan, LOL.

I'm dreaming of coming out like we did in 2009. Just whooping the crap out of everyone in our path. Playing nasty, playing with a purpose, playing for all we got!!!

2009 - #FinishStrong

There's a difference between and being chicken little.  I don't remember you really criticizing the team's performance and called out for it though.

• Like 1

With the Rams holding on here, that would mean we'd be hosting either WFT or Tampa Bay necessarily if we're to move on. And let's be real that means we'd be hosting Tampa and Brady.

Edit: Not that I'm looking past the Bears. Easy to root for team (without actually being a fan, and also except for this week). Some of the best home jerseys in the league. Such a classic look. 

Edited by Fray32

On 1/7/2021 at 6:51 PM, whodatworm23 said:

I think we have the best all around roster, but we neither have the best offensive nor defensive roster.  

In any case, I think we're the best team in the league when we play up to our potential.  It sucks not having a bye though, that really hurt.

12 hours ago, Fray32 said:

With the Rams holding on here, that would mean we'd be hosting either WFT or Tampa Bay necessarily if we're to move on. And let's be real that means we'd be hosting Tampa and Brady.

Edit: Not that I'm looking past the Bears. Easy to root for team (without actually being a fan, and also except for this week). Some of the best home jerseys in the league. Such a classic look. 

Beating a team 3 times in 1 season is tough. Especially with the last game being an absolute blowout, and now it's the playoffs. 

Anyway, Bears first!

14 hours ago, Canadian Saint said:

Lutz being injured the past few weeks would explain some things.

So apparently Morton Anderson or Martin Gramatica aren't available?
Seriously though, is Blair Walsh the only kicker available? I mean, even Tony Siragusa is probably a safer option than Walsh.

You put Walsh under pressure and he'll fold like a friggin' lawn chair.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Mid Iowa said:

Beating a team 3 times in 1 season is tough.

Yeah I was hoping we wouldn't see either Tampa or LA in the postseason. 🤔 Chicago first, though. I want us to win this game like it's early 2010 and they're the cardinals. Hopefully it's over by the half.