Week 18 - GDT - Wildcard round - Bears (8-8) @ Saints (12-4)

Mid Iowa

2 hours ago, tyler735 said:

Tough first half, terrible play calling really killed us. Much better in the 2nd half as we got back to what we are good at. Also for the love of God please no more Taysom at QB (especially throwing) in the postseason. The risk far outweighs the reward and easily can cost us against any of the remaining playoff teams. Defense looks good, hope Hendrickson can play next week as he puts our pass rush at another level.

Why? 1/2 a second more and that's a TD. Harris was wide open. Jackson made a hell of a play to force the fumble. 

11 minutes ago, SWATcha said:

Why? 1/2 a second more and that's a TD. Harris was wide open. Jackson made a hell of a play to force the fumble. 

Sure Harris was open deep. That doesn't mean Hill gets it there. There's also a good chance he throws an inaccurate deep ball, as he's underthrown several this year. Harris isn't the type of WR that can bail him out like Sanders or Thomas on a jump ball. 

At the end of the day, Hill was responsible for another turnover. The rate he is turning the ball over is simply not worth the risk compared with the potential reward in the playoffs. 

Edited by tyler735

13 minutes ago, sammymvpknight said:

So...is CGJ the most legendary trash talker the game has ever seen? I've never seen games influenced by opponents behaviors like this before. And what's so brilliant is that he finds ways to do it so discreetly. 

Yeah he really seems to get in his opponents head. That said, it's kind of pathetic some of these guys are so thin skinned they can't stop themselves from getting ejected from a game over some trash talk.

18 minutes ago, tyler735 said:

Yeah he really seems to get in his opponents head. That said, it's kind of pathetic some of these guys are so thin skinned they can't stop themselves from getting ejected from a game over some trash talk.

I think the fact that Thomas decked him is pretty telling. There is something about CGJ that’s next level. It is really impressive that coaches sit down with their team to specifically discuss the antics of CGJ. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sammymvpknight said:

I think the fact that Thomas decked him is pretty telling. There is something about CGJ that’s next level. It is really impressive that coaches sit down with their team to specifically discuss the antics of CGJ. 

Oh, and the fact that he's playing really well for a 2nd year guy. He covers really tight, and doesn't get tooled too often.
I like that he's on our team, and he's become one of my favs.

At the end of the day, I think we beat a good team. Chicago is no joke, and as I said before, if Naggy would have kept Tribusky in at QB all season, I think they'd have gone more like 10-6 or even 11-5, and our D held them to 3 (or 10, depending on how you wanna look at it).

Our offense performed a little rusty with everybody coming back, and with our O-line being a bit shaky, but MEGA kudos to Rammy. He held one of the best edge rushers in check, yet again.

Here's to a good week of prep, and a hopeful dismantling of the Buccs, again!

Chicago’s defense was a no joke for sure.  Their offense is kinda a joke, and has been a running joke for years.  This game played out like I though it would, somewhat low scoring affair and us winning because their offense can’t do anything.

Despite this, we were split seconds and inches away from being up 17-0 at the half.  And same story in the second half with the last TD just barely short.

• Like 1

Yep easily could have been 31-3, or if Taysom didn't get his time at QB, we may have shut them out. 2nd half alleviated quite a few concerns for me and has me feeling about as good as I could hope for headed into a game against Tom Brady and the Bucs.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, tyler735 said:

Yep easily could have been 31-3, or if Taysom didn't get his time at QB, we may have shut them out. 2nd half alleviated quite a few concerns for me and has me feeling about as good as I could hope for headed into a game against Tom Brady and the Bucs.

The more Hill plays at quarterback the more he proves to me that he's not one... I know some of you completely disagree with me on this but I'm calling it like I see it. I'm hearing people say "one more second and that's a touchdown to Harris". One of Hill's biggest issues is not knowing when to let it rip and holding onto the ball for too long. the reason that wasn't a Harris TD was because Hill cannot throw with anticipation, that ball should have been launched a full second and a half earlier. No, Hill once again held the ball too long allowing the defense time to get to him and ultimately leading to yet another turnover of his. He's a great kid and a excellent jack of all trades player and gadget quarterback but he's no franchise quarterback in the NFL.

16 minutes ago, whodatworm23 said:

The more Hill plays at quarterback the more he proves to me that he's not one... I know some of you completely disagree with me on this but I'm calling it like I see it. I'm hearing people say "one more second and that's a touchdown to Harris". One of Hill's biggest issues is not knowing when to let it rip and holding onto the ball for too long. the reason that wasn't a Harris TD was because Hill cannot throw with anticipation, that ball should have been launched a full second and a half earlier. No, Hill once again held the ball too long allowing the defense time to get to him and ultimately leading to yet another turnover of his. He's a great kid and a excellent jack of all trades player and gadget quarterback but he's no franchise quarterback in the NFL.

Great play design, poor execution.

Can it be taught? Man, I don't know. How do you change instincts? I don't think you do. But I'm not an NFL coach, so I'll let them do that, and I'll cheer for whoever :)

46 minutes ago, whodatworm23 said:

That's another big problem he has.  Has no anticipation and pulls the trigger way too late.  That play should have been a TD. It's also why he has even Brees beat on the deep underthrows, despite having a much stronger arm.

44 minutes ago, Jlowe22 said:

That's another big problem he has.  Has no anticipation and pulls the trigger way too late.  That play should have been a TD. It's also why he has even Brees beat on the deep underthrows, despite having a much stronger arm.

I guess it comes down to personal preference at the position. Hill like other quarterbacks offers elite athleticism at the position and can make plays when things break down that only few can however the downside is that he does not seem to be a fit in a structured offense. He shows lack of instincts and pocket awareness as well as zero anticipation on his throws at times. Many coaches would be fine with that and will take the good with the bad, I'm one who prefers a quarterback that can operate and orchestrate a structured offense and be a top level distributer of the football to ALL the weapons available to him.