Derrick "King" Henry Appreciation Post

KingTitan

1 hour ago, KingTitan said:

To be honest, i don't need him to run over 300lb guys.  If he can break tackles and do what he do, I'm good.

Clark is right but also wrong at the same time.

Just because he doesn't run over DTs that are in his face or in the hole when he gets the ball doesn't make him some kind of chump or whimp like Clark was leading too.

He has made defenders of all size look silly. WIns some and losses some. 
But 2000 yards and a million yards after contact is good enough for me. 

And if that helps him last longer in the league then I'm all for it. He don't need to try to John Riggins his way to yards and be done in 7 years. 

I’m not saying run over 300 pound guys. I’m just saying I think he needs to run with a bit more violence.

None of this is to discount how great he is. 2000 yards. The most stunning back to back season in league history. Historical, historical stuff.

But just how any elite superstar athlete has things they need to improve upon, I do think Henry can even crank up his level of physicality a bit. And I think it’ll ensure it’s impossible to “remove” him from a game. Lebron didn’t have a jump shot early in his career. Worked on it. Now he’s unstoppable. 

You can’t tell me that Henry is as physical of a runner as prime Lynch and Peterson were. And I’m not saying he needs to be. That’s not his game nor who he is. But it’s a piece of his game that I think he can improve upon and it’ll make him an even better running back.

Teams sell out against him. Look no further than our last two playoff games. Too many 1-2 yard runs. Play calling and OL played into the issue. But just like the other elite players in sports, you gotta transcend it a bit because you’re SPECIAL. 

said it before in this thread. We needed another 20-25 yards from him against Baltimore and it could’ve been a different game. A couple yards here and there changes a third and long into a third and short. All of a sudden he’s at 80 tough yards and still part of the game. 

I think a bit more physicality and intensity can only do him good. Not sure why it’s so controversial to say. Derrick has another level to him. He needs to get there. Nothing wrong with saying that.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, deeluxx3 said:

I’m not saying run over 300 pound guys. I’m just saying I think he needs to run with a bit more violence.

None of this is to discount how great he is. 2000 yards. The most stunning back to back season in league history. Historical, historical stuff.

But just how any elite superstar athlete has things they need to improve upon, I do think Henry can even crank up his level of physicality a bit. And I think it’ll ensure it’s impossible to “remove” him from a game. Lebron didn’t have a jump shot early in his career. Worked on it. Now he’s unstoppable. 

You can’t tell me that Henry is as physical of a runner as prime Lynch and Peterson were. And I’m not saying he needs to be. That’s not his game nor who he is. But it’s a piece of his game that I think he can improve upon and it’ll make him an even better running back.

Teams sell out against him. Look no further than our last two playoff games. Too many 1-2 yard runs. Play calling and OL played into the issue. But just like the other elite players in sports, you gotta transcend it a bit because you’re SPECIAL. 

said it before in this thread. We needed another 20-25 yards from him against Baltimore and it could’ve been a different game. A couple yards here and there changes a third and long into a third and short. All of a sudden he’s at 80 tough yards and still part of the game. 

I think a bit more physicality and intensity can only do him good. Not sure why it’s so controversial to say. Derrick has another level to him. He needs to get there. Nothing wrong with saying that.

I wouldn't classify him as a real physical runner. He is a big runner. His stiff arm is his greatest physical weapon. Not running through people.  He just isn't the same runner as Peterson and Lynch. They were smaller of course and lower to the ground. 

I get what you saying, but I'll take him where he is at. Maybe he morphs into a more physical runner as he slows. But right now he has the speed so I say use it. Get away from people and add a year or two to his career. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, TitanLegend said:

What Henry can do to make the team better is bench himself throughout the games so we stop running the ball so stupidly often.

I am hoping Evans has a full and healthy offseason. There’s a lot he brings that our offense lacks and having a consistent pass catching threat out the backfield, with track speed to boot, would be fantastic 

18 hours ago, KingTitan said:

I wouldn't classify him as a real physical runner. He is a big runner. His stiff arm is his greatest physical weapon. Not running through people.  He just isn't the same runner as Peterson and Lynch. They were smaller of course and lower to the ground. 

I get what you saying, but I'll take him where he is at. Maybe he morphs into a more physical runner as he slows. But right now he has the speed so I say use it. Get away from people and add a year or two to his career. 

He’s a finesse power back he’s not a punishing power back he prefers to run around guys but at times will, impose his will..

Didn’t think he’d win the MVP but OPOY is still a good achievement for him 

Honestly the awards are fine but I just want to find a way to be playing in the SB

But Henry had a helluva year

Just hope we capitalize on winning in his prime

His presence does wonders for this offense 

Hope we can take advantage and get back to fighting for a chance to play in a SB

Crazy to think he needed over 200 yardsc to get to 2k and with any other back you'd say can't do that. 

Hard to get 100 let alone 200. 

But with Henry it was like, *yeah he can do that." Lol. 

Not only yeah he can do that but almost expected. 

That's not normal. We have a great RB. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...