A veteran QB we could sign if Alex retires

Thaiphoon

Just putting this out there to foster discussion and get your guys on your toes.

First... I KNOW the guy is 38. 

But if Alex retires at the end of the season, I'd consider signing Fitzpatrick if we're going QB in either of these next two drafts.

I haven't looked at the rest of the veteran QB market but I don't think I trust them as much as I'd trust him to mentor a young QB. I think he could be decent while whomever we pickup learns from him. I don't think he did a bad job in Miami and quite honestly, I think if he had started one or two more games, the Phins might've made the playoffs.

There. I said it.

Gimme your best shot. 

Pros? and Cons?

I'm open to both.

2 minutes ago, Thaiphoon said:

Just putting this out there to foster discussion and get your guys on your toes.

First... I KNOW the guy is 38. 

But if Alex retires at the end of the season, I'd consider signing Fitzpatrick if we're going QB in either of these next two drafts.

I haven't looked at the rest of the veteran QB market but I don't think I trust them as much as I'd trust him to mentor a young QB. I think he could be decent while whomever we pickup learns from him. I don't think he did a bad job in Miami and quite honestly, I think if he had started one or two more games, the Phins might've made the playoffs.

There. I said it.

Gimme your best shot. 

Pros? and Cons?

I'm open to both.

My only problem with Fitzpatrick is his age & he’s erratic. He’ll look like a pro bowler for a few weeks and then for some reason look like he shouldn’t be in the league in some weeks, he’s not consistent. I’d rather just role w/ Kyle Allen & a QB we draft if Alex retires.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, THESKINSFAN21 said:

Arthur Blank has said he will allow the new GM to trade Matt Ryan and Julio Jones. Just figured it's worth mentioning 

Yeah, for 3 firsts I’m sure, and/or one of our great young players. No thanks.

We need to think long term, not overpaying for aging talent like we used to do last decade in both trades and FA signings.

Edited by turtle28

2 hours ago, turtle28 said:

My only problem with Fitzpatrick is his age & he’s erratic. He’ll look like a pro bowler for a few weeks and then for some reason look like he shouldn’t be in the league in some weeks, he’s not consistent. I’d rather just role w/ Kyle Allen & a QB we draft if Alex retires.

I mean, that's how Allen looked. At least with Fitzpatrick's ceiling, it's quite a bit higher than I've seen Allen's. 

As for age? Meh. 2 year deal (with a 3rd just for cap purposes). We avoid the stupid ideas of trading draft picks for a QB (Stafford) or mortgaging our future for another one (Watson) and solve the mentor problem for the drafted QB using only cap. Which we have.

4 minutes ago, Thaiphoon said:

I know man. But I wanted us to talk about something else, too.

I understand buddy. I guess I’m just coming to terms with how crappy this situation is. We have a defense that’s ready to win right now and while they’re young that window is going to close a lot faster than people think. I don’t want to waste time with retreads and guys like Fitz because they’re essentially Alex Smith. Good enough to get you there but not good enough to get you any further. I’d rather give up the 19th pick for Stafford or potentially move up a couple of spots to ensure we get Lance. Hell, I probably like Dak much more than most on here and I’d go after him as well. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

I understand buddy. I guess I’m just coming to terms with how crappy this situation is. We have a defense that’s ready to win right now and while they’re young that window is going to close a lot faster than people think. I don’t want to waste time with retreads and guys like Fitz because they’re essentially Alex Smith. Good enough to get you there but not good enough to get you any further. I’d rather give up the 19th pick for Stafford or potentially move up a couple of spots to ensure we get Lance. Hell, I probably like Dak much more than most on here and I’d go after him as well. 

I understand I guess my thinking here is the following:

1) I don't want to give up draft picks for Stafford. I just don't.

2) If Lance is regularly starting anywhere in his first 1.5years, we're in big trouble. He needs to sit his rookie year and then slowly get eased into it. So it's 2 years on a Lance-type QB before we have that rookie QB on our offense to match with our defense. Perhaps while he's sitting, the veteran QB we sign can do well enough with our defense to win us something (re: Dilfer).

3) All Fitz requires to get him is cap $. Which we have. And the Phins are not going to re-sign him. So he's a FA. Allen is a possibility, but I wasn't too impressed by him in his limited time starting this year.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, aceinthehouse said:

How about signing Taylor Heinicke to a long term deal, after he shreds the NFC on his way to the Superbowl.

And keeping all our draft picks.

I like this outcome.

I like the optimism Ace. I'm just going by if the season were to end on Sunday. Not a fantastical projection that Heinicke is the second coming. But if that were the case, I'd still keep him and sign another QB. Because that would give me too much of a Nick Foles vibe for Heinicke if that happened.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Thaiphoon said:

I mean, that's how Allen looked. At least with Fitzpatrick's ceiling, it's quite a bit higher than I've seen Allen's. 

As for age? Meh. 2 year deal (with a 3rd just for cap purposes). We avoid the stupid ideas of trading draft picks for a QB (Stafford) or mortgaging our future for another one (Watson) and solve the mentor problem for the drafted QB using only cap. Which we have.

Kyle Allen hasn’t reached his ceiling yet though, he’s still developing. We don’t know exactly what Kyle Allen’s ceiling is. 

I would only trade for Stafford if it didn’t cost us our 1st.

48 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

How do we know Lance isn’t going to be a bust? He’s far from a sure thing, he also needs to sit for at least a year, maybe even two.

I could do a trade for Stafford if it’s not more than one first and a mid round pick or sign a vet who’s younger than Fitzpatrick that helps gets our offense better than it currently is even if it’s not elite which means we could win 10 games next year. This D is going to be good to great as long as it’s few core players are on it like Chase Young, Montez Sweat, Kendall Fuller & Jon Allen which I think is going to be at least 5 years longer.

Report just came out that Dallas wants to keep Dak and if they can’t work out a deal, they’ll franchise him again.

Edited by turtle28

26 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

How do we know Lance isn’t going to be a bust? He’s far from a sure thing, he also needs to sit for at least a year, maybe even two.

I could do a trade for Stafford if it’s not more than one first and a mid round pick or sign a vet who’s younger than Fitzpatrick that helps gets our offense better than it currently is even if it’s not elite which means we could win 10 games next year. This D is going to be good to great as long as it’s few core players are on it like Chase Young, Montez Sweat, Kendall Fuller & Jon Allen which I think is going to be at least 5 years longer.

Report just came out that Dallas wants to keep Dak and if they can’t work out a deal, they’ll franchise him again.

We don’t know that Lance won’t be a bust. I don’t think I ever said anything different dude.