A veteran QB we could sign if Alex retires

Thaiphoon

6 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

Here’s another issue, if we sign Fitzpatrick we’re probably not drafting a QB this year bc we have Kyle Allen to develop.

I disagree with this statement, but I understand the logic you used to come up with it. 

If they plan on continuing to develop Allen, they might not draft a QB at all. If they make him the starter, they absolutely have to draft a QB. Either way, I don't believe we have our future starting QB on the roster right now. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Slappy Mc said:

I disagree with this statement, but I understand the logic you used to come up with it. 

If they plan on continuing to develop Allen, they might not draft a QB at all. If they make him the starter, they absolutely have to draft a QB. Either way, I don't believe we have our future starting QB on the roster right now. 

I’m not sure if you’re understanding what I’m saying. I’m saying that if we sign a veteran stop gap it probably means we won’t draft a QB this year bc this regime has shown time and time again that they want to develop Kyle Allen.

Now, if Kyle Allen is the starter, that’s a different story bc there will be a roster spot open for a back up QB so they will probably draft a QB to be the back up.

I don’t believe we have the future QB on our roster right now and I believe that signing Fitzpatrick is a waste of this franchise’s time in getting to the point where they have a good starting QB again.

4 minutes ago, offbyone said:

You can't be serious.  Kyle Allen is a backup.  He is not the future.  

I didn’t say Kyle Allen is the future. You all are taking my post out of context. My point is that if we sign a vet like Fitzpatrick that we then have Kyle Allen as his back up and we still have Heinicke & Montez to compete to be the 3rd QB so it’s not likely we’d draft a Qb high bc we chose to have Fitzpatrick & we will still have Kyle Allen on the roster.

I think it’s a waste of time to sign Fitzpatrick. He’s not good enough to make us a contender, and all he’ll do is likely stop the FO from drafting a QB high which hurts our future.

Edited by turtle28

4 hours ago, turtle28 said:

I didn’t say Kyle Allen is the future. You all are taking my post out of context. My point is that if we sign a vet like Fitzpatrick that we then have Kyle Allen as his back up and we still have Heinicke & Montez to compete to be the 3rd QB so it’s not likely we’d draft a Qb high bc we chose to have Fitzpatrick & we will still have Kyle Allen on the roster.

I think it’s a waste of time to sign Fitzpatrick. He’s not good enough to make us a contender, and all he’ll do is likely stop the FO from drafting a QB high which hurts our future.

You DO realize that the Front Office, if they decide to draft Lance (*), have two pretty cool things they can do which are called...

1. Trading one/both of those guys
  2. Releasing one/both of those guys

If you're drafting a QB first round and you already have a Vet and Allen, one or both of Heinecke and Montez are going bye bye (or at least are headed to the PS).

My point is that just because they are on the roster right now, does not mean we are wedded to them for life.

(*) for argument's sake let's just say they pick him

5 minutes ago, Thaiphoon said:

You DO realize that the Front Office, if they decide to draft Lance (*), have two pretty cool things they can do which are called...

2. Releasing one/both of those guys

If you're drafting a QB first round, one or both of Heinecke and Montez are going bye bye (or at least are headed to the PS).

My point is that just because they are on the roster right now, does not mean we are wedded to them for life.

(*) for argument's sake let's just say they pick him

So the plan is to sign and trade Ryan Fitzpatrick or re-sign & trade Kyle Allen. Awesome! 😂 

Edited by turtle28

2 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

So the plan is to sign and trade Ryan Fitzpatrick or re-sign Kyle Allen. Awesome! 😂 

Huh? I literally have zero idea what this means.

I know you're trying to make a joke here, but it only works if it's understandable.

Se above where I said:

If you're drafting a QB first round and you already have a Vet and Allen, one or both of Heinecke and Montez are going bye bye (or at least are headed to the PS).

10 minutes ago, Thaiphoon said:

I assumed you were talking about Ryan Fitzpatrick & Kyle Allen here. Signing them and then we can trade them.

That really doesn’t make much sense to me. I mean I guess it doesn’t hurt to sign Ryan Fitzpatrick & then release him or Kyle Allen in August before our final roster is set but I don’t think we’d be able to trade them for anything but, I guess I could be wrong about that. It just doesn’t seem likely.

You also have to consider that there’s only so many reps to go around. I think Kyle Allen is going to be the guy and we’ll draft someone behind him. I also don’t agree with people’s assertions that Alex Smith won’t return. If he wants to play he’ll be here Imo, I don’t see Ron releasing him.

Edited by turtle28

6 hours ago, turtle28 said:

I assumed you were talking about Ryan Fitzpatrick & Kyle Allen here. Signing them and then we can trade them.

That really doesn’t make much sense to me. I mean I guess it doesn’t hurt to sign Ryan Fitzpatrick & then release him or Kyle Allen in August before our final roster is set but I don’t think we’d be able to trade them for anything but, I guess I could be wrong about that. It just doesn’t seem likely.

You also have to consider that there’s only so many reps to go around. I think Kyle Allen is going to be the guy and we’ll draft someone behind him. I also don’t agree with people’s assertions that Alex Smith won’t return. If he wants to play he’ll be here Imo, I don’t see Ron releasing him.

Yes. In the post I responded to you were talking about the fact that with Fitz and Allen on the team, we'd not be able to grab a QB because we had Heinecke and Montez to develop/be 3rd QB.

And I said that the FO could trade or release a player. 

Okay - a person could maybe misunderstand what I was talking about...

Yet...just one sentence later...I clarified with this (see underlined).

If you're drafting a QB first round and you already have a Vet and Allen, one or both of Heinecke and Montez are going bye bye (or at least are headed to the PS).

Even further clarification here where I mentioned I'm only talking about players already on our roster:

2 hours ago, naptownskinsfan said:

If they sign a vet like Fitzpatrick, then the chances are high they take a flier on a guy like Jamie Newman in the third round.  

Kyle Allen may not even be ready to start the season.  I don't think they can count on him for anything really.  

This is what I'm looking at as well. It's why we realistically have the following:

• Smith
  • Heinecke
  • Montez

Then add in that Smith could likely retire.

Leaving us with just Heinecke and Montez to start the season.

Everyone comfortable with that? 

Dak as a free agent would be a dream, but I doubt Ron is shooting that high. 

Stafford. I mean any new coach/GM would set his price too high for him. 

Jameis- This team is playing to its defense, can’t have a QB that turns the ball over that much. 

Darnold- Rumors up here are saying the Jets are working on a Bienemy/Deshaun Watson package coming to town. This would make Darnold available and the cost low. 

Wentz- NO. I’m not sure what happened to him, but I want no part of it

10 hours ago, naptownskinsfan said:

If they sign a vet like Fitzpatrick, then the chances are high they take a flier on a guy like Jamie Newman in the third round.  

Kyle Allen may not even be ready to start the season.  I don't think they can count on him for anything really.  

Kyle Allen is already walking, the season doesn’t start for 9 months. I find it hard to believe he and Dak won’t be ready for well 1. They expect to Allen to be ready for training camp but you are right there’s no guarantee of that.

7 hours ago, Thaiphoon said:

This is what I'm looking at as well. It's why we realistically have the following:

• Smith
  • Heinecke
  • Montez

Then add in that Smith could likely retire.

Leaving us with just Heinecke and Montez to start the season.

Everyone comfortable with that? 

Well no but oh my gosh I’d be so stoked if you add Ryan Fitzpatrick to that QB room! 😂 

Fitzpatrick

Heinecke

Montez

Super Bowl baby!