A veteran QB we could sign if Alex retires

Thaiphoon

16 hours ago, Thaiphoon said:

Just putting this out there to foster discussion and get your guys on your toes.

First... I KNOW the guy is 38. 

But if Alex retires at the end of the season, I'd consider signing Fitzpatrick if we're going QB in either of these next two drafts.

I haven't looked at the rest of the veteran QB market but I don't think I trust them as much as I'd trust him to mentor a young QB. I think he could be decent while whomever we pickup learns from him. I don't think he did a bad job in Miami and quite honestly, I think if he had started one or two more games, the Phins might've made the playoffs.

There. I said it.

Gimme your best shot. 

Pros? and Cons?

I'm open to both.

giphy.gif?cid=82a1493bb9397gmtph6an7bd6o

• Like 1

Fitzpatrick has shown over and over again that he can give you a 2-3 game good stretch but he cannot perform well over an entire season.  He is a great backup, bad starter.  We already have Kyle Allen as a backup next year so I wouldn't be interest in Fitzpatrick.  

• Like 2

The problem with Fitz is that it never works when you install him as your full-time starter. I have no idea why that is, but it’s always been the case. 

The Dolphins actually may have figured out the best way to deploy him the last two seasons, having him in a constant state of competition and fighting to get/keep a job. I don’t know what happens, I’m guessing maybe the sort of “paralysis by analysis” that often hinders extremely intelligent people (which he certainly is), but he’s so much better when he plays loose and free and is fully locked in on a short-term goal. 

Maybe the presence of Kyle Allen and a “competition” with the OC’s boy would be enough to bring that out of him? He’s a remarkable guy, and it really can’t be denied that when he’s playing well, he puts up huge numbers. Over the past few seasons, he’s been a genuinely very good QB. 

The big problems, of course, are his age (total stopgap) and the turnover issues. One of the reasons why Alex Smith wins so much is because he protects the ball at all costs. That’s obviously out the window a bit this season when he’s been rusty and so limited physically, but that’s one of the key ingredients in the Alex Smith secret sauce. Smart as he is, Fitz has never really figured that out. It’s not in his nature. He’s a turnover machine, and I think that’s a big part of why he never seems to win as much he should. Kinda like another QB we knew pretty well. I’m not sure that’s what we want on a team with a defense like this — but I do believe he would get a lot of production out of what we have here. 

• Like 2

I care less (although I do care) about who we pick up. I care more about if they are considered a stopgap or our QB of the future. I want a stopgap. I do not want (the perception of) a QB of the future. That's short-term thinking. And that is what has kept this team as below average for decades. 

Cam is beat up. So no thanks, even as a stopgap. 

Not trading for Watson. I don't think that will end up happening to him anyways. 

Don't want an old arse QB that can't move. So no Matt Ryan.

Don't want to overpay for a QB. So no Stafford. 

Fitzpatrick can be a stopgap with Allen. I'm okay with that. 

Good with a 4th round pick (nothing more) for Marcus Mariota. Disagree all you want.

1 hour ago, MKnight82 said:

Fitzpatrick has shown over and over again that he can give you a 2-3 game good stretch but he cannot perform well over an entire season.  He is a great backup, bad starter.  We already have Kyle Allen as a backup next year so I wouldn't be interest in Fitzpatrick.  

The Office Reaction GIF

3 hours ago, Thaiphoon said:

My bad. I COMPLETELY missed your post when I put this out there. You beat me by 2 hours. I will bow to your prescience

Naw, wasnt trying to brag about being first, just wanted to acknowledge I had the same thought. 

Fitzpatrick would be a more aggressive QB than anyone we have on our roster. I hate "game managers". I want game winners. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MKnight82 said:

So you plan on trotting Alex Smith out again? 

Let's not mistake the fact that Alex Smith has not played "Good" at all this year. For the most part he hasn't been bad and that has worked for us to get into the postseason. 

Going forward, we will need a QB that can throw the ball consistently over 5 yards. Which is another reason I loathe Scott Turner as a playcaller. You can see clearly a lot of the passes to RBs and throws behind the LOS are designed plays. 

Alex Smith should probably retire after this year. If he doesnt, you cut him and replace him. 

1 minute ago, Slappy Mc said:

So you plan on trotting Alex Smith out again? 

Let's not mistake the fact that Alex Smith has not played "Good" at all this year. For the most part he hasn't been bad and that has worked for us to get into the postseason. 

Going forward, we will need a QB that can throw the ball consistently over 5 yards. Which is another reason I loathe Scott Turner as a playcaller. You can see clearly a lot of the passes to RBs and throws behind the LOS are designed plays. 

Alex Smith should probably retire after this year. If he doesnt, you cut him and replace him. 

Where in my post did I even mention Alex Smith?

4 minutes ago, MKnight82 said:

Where in my post did I even mention Alex Smith?

You didnt. You didnt mention a single QB other stating we have Allen as a backup and dont want Fitzpatrick. I simply inferred that you were content with the heir apparent to the depth chart. 

So to go back to what I said, what is your plan for the STARTER in response to not wanting Fitzmagic?

*also I disagree with the notion that Fitpatrick is not starter material. If Miami left him at QB, they are in the postseason 100%*

Edited by Slappy Mc

1 minute ago, Slappy Mc said:

You didnt. You didnt mention a single QB other stating we have Allen as a backup and dont want Fitzpatrick. I simply inferred that you were content with the heir apparent to the depth chart. 

So to go back to what I said, what is your plan for the STARTER in response to not wanting Fitzmagic?

*also I disagree with the notion that Fitpatrick is not starter material. If Miami left him at QB, they are in the postseason 100%*

Isn't this thread specifically about Fitzpatrick?  That's why I posted about him directly.  Also I'm not really sure how you disagree with Fitzpatrick not being able to be a full time starter.  He's shown at like 6 different franchises he can't be that.  

I don't know what I would do about the starter.  I know I don't want to trade any draft picks for a veteran QB.  I know I don't want Cam Newton (he looks done).  I'm not adverse to Alex Smith coming back for 1 more year if he doesn't want to retire.  That's not because I think he's amazing or anything but it doesn't cost us anything for him to be here other than some cap space (we have plenty of cap space).  I know I want us to come out of this draft with a QB.  I'm not saying we have to draft a first round QB but we have to have someone young developing at the position other than Kyle Allen.  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, MKnight82 said:

Isn't this thread specifically about Fitzpatrick?  That's why I posted about him directly.  Also I'm not really sure how you disagree with Fitzpatrick not being able to be a full time starter.  He's shown at like 6 different franchises he can't be that.  

I don't know what I would do about the starter.  I know I don't want to trade any draft picks for a veteran QB.  I know I don't want Cam Newton (he looks done).  I'm not adverse to Alex Smith coming back for 1 more year if he doesn't want to retire.  That's not because I think he's amazing or anything but it doesn't cost us anything for him to be here other than some cap space (we have plenty of cap space).  I know I want us to come out of this draft with a QB.  I'm not saying we have to draft a first round QB but we have to have someone young developing at the position other than Kyle Allen.  

I 100% agree with this. Which is why I felt Fitzpatrick would be the ideal fit. He is not the "franchise QB", but he will at least be a boost to a poor passing attack that we have been forced to endure. 

Fitzpatrick also hasn't had a lot of franchises stick by him for the entirity of the seasons. I still stand by the thought that if Tua didn't replace him, the Dolphins are in the postseason.