A veteran QB we could sign if Alex retires

Thaiphoon

11 minutes ago, Vladimir L said:

Thing is if we have TH for 3 years at 15 Mil it allows us to spend money on wr and linebackers

Well, here's the rub on Heinicke: his play suddenly made him look viable. He's also an unrestricted free agent. His price just jumped.

22 minutes ago, Vladimir L said:

he is getting back up money 5 Mil

When he almost went toe-to-toe with Tom Brady in the playoffs on a team that really doesn't have any other options (sorry, not a fan of Allen, and Steven Montez is a guy)? That's highly unlikely.

36 minutes ago, Woz said:

Well, here's the rub on Heinicke: his play suddenly made him look viable. He's also an unrestricted free agent. His price just jumped.

35 minutes ago, Vladimir L said:

he is getting back up money 5 Mil

10 minutes ago, Woz said:

When he almost went toe-to-toe with Tom Brady in the playoffs on a team that really doesn't have any other options (sorry, not a fan of Allen, and Steven Montez is a guy)? That's highly unlikely.

Hold on guys I want Heinicke back and to compete for the starting spot. 

i agree his price jumped up but let’s not act like he’s a guy who has more than two starts. He has a small resume. I highly doubt he gets 5 million a year.

hinestly he may get bumped up from 1 mill to 3 mill, let’s not forget what Cam and Jamie’s signed for

1 minute ago, LoganF89 said:

i agree his price jumped up but let’s not act like he’s a guy who has more than two starts. He has a small resume. I highly doubt he gets 5 million a year.

hinestly he may get bumped up from 1 mill to 3 mill, let’s not forget what Cam and Jamie’s signed for

They were signed as reclamation projects going to what people considered as likely Super Bowl contending teams with major question marks at QB.

Heinicke isn't staying here if he's just get $1-3M per year.

1 minute ago, Woz said:

They were signed as reclamation projects going to what people considered as likely Super Bowl contending teams with major question marks at QB.

If he signs for more than 5 mill a year then I’ll admit I was wrong but I’m almost willing to guarantee he won’t get that

2 minutes ago, Woz said:

Correct. If he truly is an UFA after this season, and after the game he just displayed to the entire league, his price will have jumped up considerably.

AND...he will want to come in to compete for the starting job wherever he goes. 

But it won't be starting franchise QB money though. 

2 minutes ago, LoganF89 said:

If he signs for more than 5 mill a year then I’ll admit I was wrong but I’m almost willing to guarantee he won’t get that

If Smith retires I can see us offering anywhere from $6m-8m AAV. We have nothing at the position. And he knows it. And with that performance, he can use it to make bank.

Of course, I can totally see us getting him for $5m like you said. I just don't think WFT is in a strong position to give him that little.

Maybe $5m to start but has escalators based upon playing time?

4 minutes ago, Woz said:

Just now, Thaiphoon said:

Correct. If he truly is an UFA after this season, and after the game he just displayed to the entire league, his price will have jumped up considerably.

AND...he will want to come in to compete for the starting job wherever he goes. 

But it won't be starting franchise QB money though. 

Let’s put it this way. There’s only 4 backup QBs that make over 5 mill a year this year.

Tayson Hill, Marcus Marriota, Case Keemun, and  Alex Smith if you count him

i get it that in a scenario he could possibly compete for a starting spot but I highly doubt he’s getting 5 mill a year to have the chance to compete.

if he comes in as a sure fire starter that’s pre determined I could see a little more but he’s not, he’s coming to compete for a shot at that spot 

2 minutes ago, Thaiphoon said:

If Smith retires I can see us offering anywhere from $6m-8m AAV. We have nothing at the position. And he knows it. And with that performance, he can use it to make bank.

Of course, I can totally see us getting him for $5m like you said. I just don't think WFT is in a strong position to give him that little.

Maybe $5m to start but has escalators based upon playing time?

I just don’t see it happening but like I said I’ll admit I was wrong if he makes over 5 mill base. I can see escalators like you said going over 5 mill but with a base of 3 or 4 mill. I mean Andy Dalton, Colt Mccoy, and Chase Daniel make less than 5 mill a year. I know they aren’t sure fire starters but they have been in the league and been proven backups for a long time.

i can’t see Heinicke making more a year the. A top 10 rookie QB when he went undrafted and has only started 2 games while being on 3 different teams.

like I said I’ll eat my words if he does but by all means if he comes back starts and holds down the position I’ll pay him anything 

18 minutes ago, LoganF89 said:

Hold on guys I want Heinicke back and to compete for the starting spot. 

5 mil a year is peanuts lets just offer him that for 3-4 years

Matt Flynn and many other qb have gottrn big contracts based off of one game

not saying he will get 10 mil or 15

but 3 to 5 mil is fine and nfl salary arent 100% garanteed

Edited by Vladimir L

2 minutes ago, LoganF89 said:

I just don’t see it happening but like I said I’ll admit I was wrong if he makes over 5 mill base. I can see escalators like you said going over 5 mill but with a base of 3 or 4 mill. I mean Andy Dalton, Colt Mccoy, and Chase Daniel make less than 5 mill a year. I know they aren’t sure fire starters but they have been in the league and been proven backups for a long time.

i can’t see Heinicke making more a year the. A top 10 rookie QB when he went undrafted and has only started 2 games while being on 3 different teams.

like I said I’ll eat my words if he does but by all means if he comes back starts and holds down the position I’ll pay him anything 

I completely understand your point. But IIRC those other guys were going to teams that already had "their" guy at QB and were coming in knowing it was a backup role and therefore backup $. 

Smith is gonna retire. He just is. 

That leaves us with Allen and Montez on the roster. And given his play tonight and our dearth of decent options at the position, I can seriously see his representation get him more than $5m a year (or 4 or 5 with escalators and a player opt out after 2 years if he becomes the full-time starter). 

I think what I'm saying here is that I don't think you're wrong in your assessment. I'm completely okay and wouldn't be shocked if he doesn't get more than $5m. I'm just saying that I'm also not going to be shocked if he does.