Jump to content

A veteran QB we could sign if Alex retires


Recommended Posts

7 minutes ago, Thaiphoon said:

I completely understand your point. But IIRC those other guys were going to teams that already had "their" guy at QB and were coming in knowing it was a backup role and therefore backup $. 

Smith is gonna retire. He just is. 

That leaves us with Allen and Montez on the roster. And given his play tonight and our dearth of decent options at the position, I can seriously see his representation get him more than $5m a year (or 4 or 5 with escalators and a player opt out after 2 years if he becomes the full-time starter). 

I think what I'm saying here is that I don't think you're wrong in your assessment. I'm completely okay and wouldn't be shocked if he doesn't get more than $5m. I'm just saying that I'm also not going to be shocked if he does.

Smith needs to be hired as QB Coach.  The guy did a great job helping Heinicke get ready for this game. 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Thaiphoon said:

I completely understand your point. But IIRC those other guys were going to teams that already had "their" guy at QB and were coming in knowing it was a backup role and therefore backup $. 

Smith is gonna retire. He just is. 

That leaves us with Allen and Montez on the roster. And given his play tonight and our dearth of decent options at the position, I can seriously see his representation get him more than $5m a year (or 4 or 5 with escalators and a player opt out after 2 years if he becomes the full-time starter). 

I think what I'm saying here is that I don't think you're wrong in your assessment. I'm completely okay and wouldn't be shocked if he doesn't get more than $5m. I'm just saying that I'm also not going to be shocked if he does.

I see what you mean with the lack of options we have so that makes sense.

if we do sign him back which I hope we do, you gotta think him and Allen battle for the starting spot. 
 

with that said it makes it known we are taking a QB in the draft and to me you have to take one with mobility Like he showed tonight, Allen is also pretty mobile, so that’s why I think we pass on Mack Jones and Kyle Trask.

thats why I’m thinking Mond in the 3rd or possibly Riddler 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, Woz said:

Well, here's the rub on Heinicke: his play suddenly made him look viable. He's also an unrestricted free agent. His price just jumped.

So here’s the really tricky rub. OTC has him with 4 accrued seasons, which would indeed make him a UFA. 

But I think they’re wrong. 

I’m using the definition of an accrued season as 6 games on the active/inactive roster. From what I can tell, 2015 is an accrued season. Looks like he was on Minnesota’s roster the whole year. I think 2016 is also an accrued season, as the dumb idiot Vikings activated him from the non-football injury list with 8 games left in the season. 2018 is clearly an accrued season, as he actually played in 6 games. That’s three.

2019 is clearly not an accrued season, as he wasn’t on an NFL roster. I believe 2020 also doesn’t qualify, as he was only on our active roster for 3 regular season games, plus the one playoff game. 

Which leaves 2017 as the only question mark. He started the year with the Vikings, and they put him on IR in the last week of camp. They then waived him with an injury settlement on 9/11, which was the day of their first game. Let’s call that one game on the active/inactive roster to be generous. He then is on the street for a couple weeks until being signed to the NE practice squad on 9/23. My understanding is that practice squad time doesn’t count toward an accrued season. He remains on NE’s practice squad until 10/9, when they release him. He then gets signed to Houston’s practice squad on 11/29. Again, I don’t think that time counts. The Texans then activated him from the practice squad on 12/15. He’s on the active roster for their last 3 games. Which I believe gives him, at most, 4 games on the active/inactive roster. Meaning it wouldn’t be an accrued season. 

It’s my belief that he has 3 accrued seasons, and should thus be an RFA. Someone will probably come out in the media to explain why I’m wrong in the next couple days, but based on my understanding of all the issues involved, I don’t think he’s yet accrued the necessary 4 seasons to be a UFA.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, e16bball said:

It’s my belief that he has 3 accrued seasons, and should thus be an RFA. Someone will probably come out in the media to explain why I’m wrong in the next couple days, but based on my understanding of all the issues involved, I don’t think he’s yet accrued the necessary 4 seasons to be a UFA.

Based on this, I would tender him at the 1st round level. If someone wants to poach our Heinie, they’ll have to pay through the nose for it. 

...and if anyone actually does poach him at that cost (zero chance but let’s go with it), guess who instantly has draft ammo to move into the top 10 or maybe even top 5 if they wanted to?

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Skinsin2013 said:

Heinicke didn't earn the starter's spot. He earned the right to compete for it.

Heinicke
Allen
??? 

Allen should absolutely be competing for starter.

We need to bring in Fitzmagic and have a 3 way competition.

 

We will have tons of money for a wr, lb, wr and maybe another cb.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

OMG I am in hell now.Allen,Heiniken?Yeah if we are competing for the #1 pick lol.Allen was atrocious until he got hurt.I'm sorry folks I dont want a Jeff(I never won the big game)Garcia clone or anything like him.Fitzpatrick would at least make it fun watching them lose.Cut everyone who saw the field this year.Keep Alex if we draft Lance so he doesnt have to start immediately.Otherwise he had his chance.Fitzpatrick,Rivers if he is available,but not any of this garbage we know will never win the SB for us.Not even if our D becomes as dominant as the 2000 Ravens.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, TKellion said:

OMG I am in hell now.Allen,Heiniken?Yeah if we are competing for the #1 pick lol.Allen was atrocious until he got hurt.I'm sorry folks I dont want a Jeff(I never won the big game)Garcia clone or anything like him.Fitzpatrick would at least make it fun watching them lose.Cut everyone who saw the field this year.Keep Alex if we draft Lance so he doesnt have to start immediately.Otherwise he had his chance.Fitzpatrick,Rivers if he is available,but not any of this garbage we know will never win the SB for us.Not even if our D becomes as dominant as the 2000 Ravens.

Just trying to get this straight, you don’t want a Jeff Garcia clone because he never won the big one — but you want them to bring in one of two 39-year-olds, specifically Philip Rivers (who has very famously never been able to win the big one, or even the one before the big one) and Ryan Fitzpatrick (who has literally never even made the playoffs in his 16-year career)?

I think it’s extremely wishful thinking that Heinicke will prove to be Jeff Garcia. That would be amazing — Garcia was a legit MVP candidate for a couple years with SF. The odds of him reaching that level are close to zero, in my opinion. The likelihood is that he comes crashing back to earth, as most flash-in-the-pan backup types do once the league gets a book on them. 

But is that the worst thing if it happens? I hate the idea of wasting next season with this good defense, but unless we’re getting a solid to above-average starter via trade or a plug and play top rookie in the draft, I think we’re looking at another 7ish win season with most of the other options, which I also hate. 

Going with Heinicke and Allen gives you some upside that one will emerge, win the job, and play like a champion. But just as promising, in the more likely event that it turns out they both suck, we might end up with 4-5 wins and the chance to join the high-end QB prospect sweepstakes. I think that wide variance of outcomes is better for us than more certainty of an 7-8 win type outcome. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I’m a big fat no on Fitzpatrick now.  We have two journeyman type QBs with Heinicke and Allen. One of which who just played great in his 2nd NFL start and playoff game where he had 3 or 4 drops and if our WRs catch those balls, he probably ends up with around the same yardage # that Tom Brady did. We don’t need another with Fitzpatrick. 
 

We need to either sign or trade for a franchise QB or draft someone to compete with Heinicke & Allen.

Edited by turtle28
  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/10/2021 at 1:37 AM, e16bball said:

It’s my belief that he has 3 accrued seasons, and should thus be an RFA. Someone will probably come out in the media to explain why I’m wrong in the next couple days, but based on my understanding of all the issues involved, I don’t think he’s yet accrued the necessary 4 seasons to be a UFA.

I do this on occasion, and it’s one of my worst traits. I freely admit it. I need to quote myself here.

Everyone from ESPN to CBS Sports to NBC Washington to Rotowire to Pro Football Talk to the two major contract sites is treating him as if he’s a UFA this offseason. And yet...here’s young Mr. Heinicke himself on the Junkies today, talking about his free agency status:

I think my contract is up in February, I believe, and then free agency starts in March. 

But yeah, I am a restricted free agent. Whatever Washington wants to do, that's their choice. I want to be here. I love it here. Love Ron. I love Scott. Love the guys in this locker room.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/10/2021 at 1:37 AM, e16bball said:

So here’s the really tricky rub. OTC has him with 4 accrued seasons, which would indeed make him a UFA. 

But I think they’re wrong. 

I’m using the definition of an accrued season as 6 games on the active/inactive roster. From what I can tell, 2015 is an accrued season. Looks like he was on Minnesota’s roster the whole year. I think 2016 is also an accrued season, as the dumb idiot Vikings activated him from the non-football injury list with 8 games left in the season. 2018 is clearly an accrued season, as he actually played in 6 games. That’s three.

2019 is clearly not an accrued season, as he wasn’t on an NFL roster. I believe 2020 also doesn’t qualify, as he was only on our active roster for 3 regular season games, plus the one playoff game. 

Which leaves 2017 as the only question mark. He started the year with the Vikings, and they put him on IR in the last week of camp. They then waived him with an injury settlement on 9/11, which was the day of their first game. Let’s call that one game on the active/inactive roster to be generous. He then is on the street for a couple weeks until being signed to the NE practice squad on 9/23. My understanding is that practice squad time doesn’t count toward an accrued season. He remains on NE’s practice squad until 10/9, when they release him. He then gets signed to Houston’s practice squad on 11/29. Again, I don’t think that time counts. The Texans then activated him from the practice squad on 12/15. He’s on the active roster for their last 3 games. Which I believe gives him, at most, 4 games on the active/inactive roster. Meaning it wouldn’t be an accrued season. 

It’s my belief that he has 3 accrued seasons, and should thus be an RFA. Someone will probably come out in the media to explain why I’m wrong in the next couple days, but based on my understanding of all the issues involved, I don’t think he’s yet accrued the necessary 4 seasons to be a UFA.

I love your lawyer brain. I'm looking at the rules now and I tend to agree with you. But then again, I thought the NFL screwed up with the calculations for Trent's accrued seasons as well.

Let's hope youre right!

Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, turtle28 said:

I’m a big fat no on Fitzpatrick now.  We have two journeyman type QBs with Heinicke and Allen. One of which who just played great in his 2nd NFL start and playoff game where he had 3 or 4 drops and if our WRs catch those balls, he probably ends up with around the same yardage # that Tom Brady did. We don’t need another with Fitzpatrick. 
 

We need to either sign or trade for a franchise QB or draft someone to compete with Heinicke & Allen.

Well...yeah. This was done before Heinecke went all HAM on Sunday. I agree now that we need to bring him back to compete.

Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, e16bball said:

I do this on occasion, and it’s one of my worst traits. I freely admit it. I need to quote myself here.

Everyone from ESPN to CBS Sports to NBC Washington to Rotowire to Pro Football Talk to the two major contract sites is treating him as if he’s a UFA this offseason. And yet...here’s young Mr. Heinicke himself on the Junkies today, talking about his free agency status:

 

 

Okay. Mr. GM @e16bball, what round tender would you give him, if he truly is a RFA?

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...