Gran Turismo Sport

Mossburg

Played the demo and I like it a lot. This will be my first owned GT game. Only thing I'm not a fan of is it being "Always online". Seems pretty goofy to me since the servers can have an outage at anytime and then my hard work would be all for nothing. Still excited regardless.

4 hours ago, Supersuavesky said:

How is this yet? I hear mixed reviews. 

I won't have the full version till Friday, but from what I played of the demo I liked it. However, this is my first GT game and I wouldn't be the expert on why its a good/bad game to be honest, haha.

4 hours ago, malibuspeedrace said:

When you say "always online"

do you have to have plus for this game?

mine ran out 6 months ago.

@RavensfanRD

The game is made for online. I think you can play arcade mode, but the meat and potatoes of the game is online. And while you might not be able to partake in online multiplayer, you must have an internet connection in order to save. That's the "always online" part. I don't like that at all since the servers can go down or a host of things can happen, but that's gaming in 2017.

You don't need Plus to do all the single player stuff, which there isn't much of compared to previous games. Arcade mode is there, license tests, and some other challenges. You need to be online, but don't need Plus.

As far as the mixed reviews, here's the deal. This is not like the previous games. There's no massive "campaign" anymore. The game's focus is basically online play and helping you focus to becoming a better driver and race against other people. A lot of the game's fat was trimmed to focus strictly on the online racing aspect. Not hard to see why this would upset many people.

If you're into online gaming, improving your times, and just trying to be better at the game, this game is for you. If you just want to learn how to game the campaign mode and dump a ton of time into that, this game is probably not for you.

So yesterday they had maintenance and I couldn't save unless I wanted to stay up for 2 more hours.

Yes, definitely one of the worst ideas in the history of gaming, and while I played tons of "always online" games, none required this to simply save. I hope this is addressed ASAP.

23 hours ago, Mossburg said:

You don't need Plus to do all the single player stuff, which there isn't much of compared to previous games. Arcade mode is there, license tests, and some other challenges. You need to be online, but don't need Plus.

As far as the mixed reviews, here's the deal. This is not like the previous games. There's no massive "campaign" anymore. The game's focus is basically online play and helping you focus to becoming a better driver and race against other people. A lot of the game's fat was trimmed to focus strictly on the online racing aspect. Not hard to see why this would upset many people.

If you're into online gaming, improving your times, and just trying to be better at the game, this game is for you. If you just want to learn how to game the campaign mode and dump a ton of time into that, this game is probably not for you.

I am all for online gaming and it is fun, but I really enjoyed playing Gran Turismo during the Playstation 2 days where I could play an immersible single player experience.  Win races, get better parts for my car, change the design, etc.  Unless you have a core group of people to play with online, I have found racing games online to be a bad experience - unless they're an arcade racer such as Mario Kart.  Very rarely will you go online and race against people who play legit.  And by legit, I mean, not trying to spin someone else out, crash into other cars and other nonsense people do in these games.

Thanks for posting this info because now I know the game is a pass for me and don't even have to waste my time with it. 

^Those are legit concerns. I don't have a PS+ account (will get one eventually to play this) and I'm just doing license tests and single player stuff to get back into it because I haven't played GT in so long and I am AWFUL (I'd be the dude bumping into you to pass you in an online race lol). That being said, they actually put in REQUIRED training you have to pass before you can even go online that teach you proper "racing manners". There are also ranks, and from what I read online only the poop ranks have people (LIKE ME) who either want to play bumper cars or just suck. Once you clear those you are good. Also this is my opinion, but people who want to play Need for Speed or Burnout don't gravitate to these games. You'll definitely have trolls or reckless drivers, but it shouldn't be the norm and PD has put in some ways to prevent that. Also IIRC I read you get penalized for creating contact or something, not 100% sure about this.

On 10/20/2017 at 11:11 AM, Mossburg said:

^Those are legit concerns. I don't have a PS+ account (will get one eventually to play this) and I'm just doing license tests and single player stuff to get back into it because I haven't played GT in so long and I am AWFUL (I'd be the dude bumping into you to pass you in an online race lol). That being said, they actually put in REQUIRED training you have to pass before you can even go online that teach you proper "racing manners". There are also ranks, and from what I read online only the poop ranks have people (LIKE ME) who either want to play bumper cars or just suck. Once you clear those you are good. Also this is my opinion, but people who want to play Need for Speed or Burnout don't gravitate to these games. You'll definitely have trolls or reckless drivers, but it shouldn't be the norm and PD has put in some ways to prevent that. Also IIRC I read you get penalized for creating contact or something, not 100% sure about this.

Yeah, but the sad part is you also get penalized if someone runs in the back of you. And even though I'm a complete scrub in every sense of the word, I love everything about this game. Still trying to hone my skill and learn I must break an eternity early before I hit a corner. It's a great time to be alive!

On 10/20/2017 at 8:03 AM, showtime said:

I am all for online gaming and it is fun, but I really enjoyed playing Gran Turismo during the Playstation 2 days where I could play an immersible single player experience.  Win races, get better parts for my car, change the design, etc.  Unless you have a core group of people to play with online, I have found racing games online to be a bad experience - unless they're an arcade racer such as Mario Kart.  Very rarely will you go online and race against people who play legit.  And by legit, I mean, not trying to spin someone else out, crash into other cars and other nonsense people do in these games.

Thanks for posting this info because now I know the game is a pass for me and don't even have to waste my time with it. 

I'm in the same exact boat for the same reasons. I was really looking forward getting back into a Gran Turismo game, and this has me majorly bummed out. I would rather play GT6 than this, but it's not even out for the PS4, I wish they would port it. I'd love to get back into a racing game again akin to the GT's of old. 

I think the main issue people are having with this game is grasping the fact that this is NOT a main entry GT game (thus why it's called GT Sport instead of just GT 7) it's a game intended to create an online racing experience for hardcore fans...period. If you're like me and you rarely play online in GT games and mainly just love playing the career mode...buying a crappy used civic and modding it into a race able beast, etc...do NOT buy this game..it wasn't meant for people like us...period. 

Hopefully we'll get some news on the next main entry GT game soon enough but until then if you're a career mode lover like me this is most certainly NOT the game to get your racing fix...you're far better off just playing GT 6 or Project Cars 2...or if you have a Xbox one then Forza 7 is another option for career mode lovers. 

Archived