2020 All Pro Team

Forge

15 hours ago, Yin-Yang said:

So that graphic shows 133 yards given to #1s, but 375 on the season...

So is it more impressive giving up 133 to #1s, or less impressive for giving up 242 to 2nd/3rd options? 

Doesn’t this exactly apply to Jalen Ramsey, who was targeted even less?

Honestly couldn't tell you where the 375 number PFR has for him came from. Guy simply doesn't get thrown at ever. Maybe completions it was determined the player was in his zone? Not sure. As a Packers fan who saw every snap, I couldn't tell you. Certainly wasn't taking many snaps against #2-3's.

3 hours ago, Packerraymond said:

Honestly couldn't tell you where the 375 number PFR has for him came from. Guy simply doesn't get thrown at ever. Maybe completions it was determined the player was in his zone? Not sure. As a Packers fan who saw every snap, I couldn't tell you. Certainly wasn't taking many snaps against #2-3's.

PFF has him at a little less but pretty much the same - 69 targets for 337 and 2.

3 hours ago, Packerraymond said:

He doesn't follow WRs, so the rest just came from receivers not on that graphic. Like, Allen Robinson had 111 yards and 2 TDs in the two games against Green Bay. If Alexander only gave up 28 yards to Allen Robinson in those two games, clearly someone else was covering Robinson much of the time, so Alexander was clearly covering a #2 or #3 or #4. A.J. Brown had 43 yards, not the 10 Alexander gave up, so same deal. Thielen had 110 yards week 1. Emmanuel Sanders had 56 yards week 3. Etc.

So either Alexander gave up far more yards to the listed players than the graphic shows, or he spent far more time not covering those #1 WRs than you're suggesting.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Jakuvious said:

He doesn't follow WRs, so the rest just came from receivers not on that graphic. Like, Allen Robinson had 111 yards and 2 TDs in the two games against Green Bay. If Alexander only gave up 28 yards to Allen Robinson in those two games, clearly someone else was covering Robinson much of the time, so Alexander was clearly covering a #2 or #3 or #4. A.J. Brown had 43 yards, not the 10 Alexander gave up, so same deal. Thielen had 110 yards week 1. Emmanuel Sanders had 56 yards week 3. Etc.

So either Alexander gave up far more yards to the listed players than the graphic shows, or he spent far more time not covering those #1 WRs than you're suggesting.

Richie James is on that graphic as the niners number one and had 184 yards in that game. Those didn't come against Alexander, I can confirm that, but in a game where the niners didn't have deebo, aiyuk or bourne, that meant Alexander spent a lot of time on River Cracraft. 

So there's merit to what you say, I think

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Jakuvious said:

I should've said #3s, as we never really use him in the slot. He stays on his side of the field yes.

My guess is when we sit in soft cov 2 and 3 late in games with a 2 score plus lead he's giving up yards. Not saying the stat is wrong, I'm sure the numbers are right. Just honestly can remember him getting beat for anything significant other than week 1 to Thielen.

On 1/9/2021 at 3:13 AM, DannyB said:

I feel like this is a fundamental misunderstanding at how roster construction works though, in a league with finite talent and finite money to pay that talent.

If a team could lineup three Davante Adamses at receiver, they would. Or DeAndre Hopkins, etc. If Buffalo could have Diggs on the outside and another Diggs in the slot rather than Beasley, they would. It's not that the top receivers can't play the slot, and are thus relegated to the outside, it's that they have the talent to succeed toward the boundaries and down the field, so teams then find what they can to fill the slot. And yes I understand one method is to find that undersized quick-not-fast sure handed guy to work the quicker paced underneath roots, and it certainly is a skillset, but most teams would still happily have a more prototypical #1 WR there. A lot of the top guys run a significant percentage of their routes from there anyways.

Even if he wanted a receiver that primarily plays slot, don't Allen Robinson and Keenan Allen typically play a LOT of slot routes? Just go in that direction.

The best passing offenses in the NFL have guys who can play in any of the three spots so they can continually throw defenses off. Back in 2016, the Falcons would put Julio and Sanu in the slot despite having Gabriel there as well because they could put any of hte three guys in any spot. Ideally, NFL teams have three guys who can do everything. Kansas City is also really good about this because they'll have Hill in the slot, Watkins outside on some plays and sometimes flip it.

18 minutes ago, scar988 said:

The best passing offenses in the NFL have guys who can play in any of the three spots so they can continually throw defenses off. Back in 2016, the Falcons would put Julio and Sanu in the slot despite having Gabriel there as well because they could put any of hte three guys in any spot. Ideally, NFL teams have three guys who can do everything. Kansas City is also really good about this because they'll have Hill in the slot, Watkins outside on some plays and sometimes flip it.

"Sir, we could field 3 exact clones of Julio Jones as our receivers, shall we move forward with the project?"

-"No! Get me two Julio Joneses..........and the phone number for Cole Beasley."

• Like 1