Jump to content

All-Pro Brandon Scherff


Recommended Posts

28 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

The same DT who just had an 11.5 sack season?

I think the idea that Leonard Williams is a bust was never true for one, and it’s definitely not true now. I still would’ve take him over Scherff. We take Williams then we have a better D in 2015 & 2016 w/ our great passing game. Then, we probably don’t take both of the other DL in the first round in 2017 & 18 so we may have taken other positions and thus have a better all around team now.

He wasn’t a bust. He just wasn’t a guy with all pro ability. He’s a beast he’s a smart player but never in college did he do anything that said this guy will be all pro. He’s a heck of a football player that gives great effort and makes the most of his ability. But people were crowning this guy as if he was John Randall or The next Warren Sapp because we took the best player outside of Gurley avalible. And Gurley has the knee so we made the right pick. And it was a impactful pick. Cooper, Gurley, Schreff, were the guys with some kind of special trait in that class. Winston was a head case and we all could see that hence having crab legs at his draft party. Mariota had wheels but lacked arm strength and was conservative. Williams just never looked special and I got killed for saying that but it wasn’t a draft class I was high on there wasn’t a lot to love on the top end. Vic Beasley has the blue chip ability but he was very streaky. We have I think the only player that’s even signed a second deal with the drafted team even though it’s just the franchise tender the guys at the top weren’t head and shoulders above the guys that went in the next two rounds and it showed as they went to bad teams and most of them fit right in.

Edited by ripsean21
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, turtle28 said:

The same DT who just had an 11.5 sack season?

I think the idea that Leonard Williams is a bust was never true for one, and it’s definitely not true now. I still would’ve take him over Scherff. We take Williams then we have a better D in 2015 & 2016 w/ our great passing game. Then, we probably don’t take both of the other DL in the first round in 2017 & 18 so we may have taken other positions and thus have a better all around team now.

I'll never understand the love for Leonard Williams . He had one good season...Ionaddis is better and he was a 5th rounder. I'm glad the Skins drafted Scherff over Williams. We would have likely traded or let Williams walk the way he played his entire career with the Jets.

Edited by THESKINSFAN21
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, THESKINSFAN21 said:

I'll never understand the love for Leonard Williams . He had one good season...Ionaddis is better and he was a 5th rounder. I'm glad the Skins drafted Scherff over Williams. We would have likely traded or let Williams walk the way he played his entire career with the Jets.

I wasn’t high on him either he was not the high motor player he has been with the Giants coming out. Brandon is a all in every down guy even when he has bad games you can see him flash on plays and he fights hard. For year one of Scot trying to go safer I completely supported the pick. We were more offensivecenteric under Gruden and we had a QB they were trying to protect and develop even if it wasn’t the one Snyder was thinking. And as you said he hit on Matt who has been the better player. Also Matt is in a position now he could legit have his best year next year and we maximize his asking price so our comp pick game the next season really starts paying off for us.

Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, THESKINSFAN21 said:

I'll never understand the love for Leonard Williams . He had one good season...Ionaddis is better and he was a 5th rounder. I'm glad the Skins drafted Scherff over Williams. We would have likely traded or let Williams walk the way he played his entire career with the Jets.

Williams has had one great season this year - and two other good seasons while playing for the Jets.

The Jets let him walk bc they are cheap and didn’t want to pay him, they had also just drafted Quinten Williams.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I think Williams has always had a major impact - it’s just as an interior DL the dirty work they do doesn’t always show up on the stat sheet. I will say that in 

2016 he was a pro bowler and had 7 sacks & 68 tackles & 11 tackles for loss and 19 QB hits.

2018 he had 42 tackles, 5 sacks, 11 tackles for loss and 20 QB hits.

2020 was by far his best season though:

11.5 sacks, 57 tackles, 14 TFL & 30 QB hits

I really like Scherff a lot, but I still would’ve takenWilliams at 5. The way I look at it is that if we had taken Williams at 5, then Allen in 2017, then in 2018 wecould’ve taken Derwin James as a SS in round 1 and taken Settle to compete with Ioannidis to be our NT. 
 

If we had already drafted Williams & Allen, I don’t think we would have drafted Payne in round 1 in 2018, instead we drafted Dewin James and then we don’t sign Collins to his albatross of a contract.

Its much easier to find good guards after the first round then it is to find impactful interior DL IMO. I still think McCloughan screwed that up and he obviously screwed up the first two rounds of the 2016 draft.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, turtle28 said:

Williams has had one great season this year - and two other good seasons while playing for the Jets.

The Jets let him walk bc they are cheap and didn’t want to pay him, they had also just drafted Quinten Williams.

I will give you they haven’t had forward vision as far as keeping players in house on second contracts!!! That could have been a good pair. The Jets have mismanaged their team completely it’s not like they haven’t had hits it’s just the culture is terrible.

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, ripsean21 said:

He wasn’t a bust. He just wasn’t a guy with all pro ability. He’s a beast he’s a smart player but never in college did he do anything that said this guy will be all pro. He’s a heck of a football player that gives great effort and makes the most of his ability. But people were crowning this guy as if he was John Randall or The next Warren Sapp because we took the best player outside of Gurley avalible. And Gurley has the knee so we made the right pick. And it was a impactful pick. Cooper, Gurley, Schreff, were the guys with some kind of special trait in that class. Winston was a head case and we all could see that hence having crab legs at his draft party. Mariota had wheels but lacked arm strength and was conservative. Williams just never looked special and I got killed for saying that but it wasn’t a draft class I was high on there wasn’t a lot to love on the top end. Vic Beasley has the blue chip ability but he was very streaky. We have I think the only player that’s even signed a second deal with the drafted team even though it’s just the franchise tender the guys at the top weren’t head and shoulders above the guys that went in the next two rounds and it showed as they went to bad teams and most of them fit right in.

He's a classic high floor, lower ceiling type player.  It also doesn't help that he is a 3-4 DL, and those guys struggle to show up on the stat sheets and the minds of the average fan.  

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, naptownskinsfan said:

He's a classic high floor, lower ceiling type player.  It also doesn't help that he is a 3-4 DL, and those guys struggle to show up on the stat sheets and the minds of the average fan.  

I’m not the biggest stat guy he is a heck of a player he just doesn’t do it for me and the Giants maybe don’t have a Chase young but they have a really talented DL as well so I’m not surprised by his production this year. I just love the player we took. And I love our DL a lot more then I love theirs. They have players I was very high on we got players I loved coming out I think we’re going to be better going forward. Williams is a really solid player maybe even fringe all pro but I like Brandon better when it came to that class we almost equaled Williams with Matt later on and we by far got the best OL in the class so it’s about maximizing the picks and I felt we did that. The fact Williams is now playing for another team just tells you something else Brandon has been on a bad team too and continued to play his tail off Williams no longer wanted to be where he was there’s a different makeup in the two players and that’s why it’s not close for me

and he is that type of player and we did run the 3/4 and need that type of player but people were saying he was head and shoulders the best player in the draft and that was clearly Todd Gurley if he had no ACL injury. Coop was a beast with outstanding route running and explosion in and out of his breaks with concentration drops every now and again but it’s a thing where people think we have to pick the biggest need first and the truth is you need the best player always even if it’s at a lesser need position. You never draft for that year you draft for the future because your hoping if you select this guy round one maybe that player at a different position you can get similar value later based on the players you like in later rounds and that’s how you maximize the class.

Edited by ripsean21
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...