Cowboys fire DC Mike Nolan and DL Coach Jim Tomsula

RaidersAreOne

tomsula is a really good DL coach, and who ever gets him off the scrap heap for that job will be laughing, as others have said above me. i kind of feel sorry for him that his years of being slept on with the WFT d line because they were always injured led him to dallas, and then the WFT DL finally manages to get healthy and prove to the world how good they are lol

• Like 2

2 hours ago, SweetFancyMoses said:

Well deciding to switch to 3-4 with no offseason,  and players that dont really fit a 3-4 defense will get you fired.  

Classic Mike Nolan. Complete disregard for what his players can do, hes just going to run his scheme 

The guy is STILL living off of being baltimore's DC in like 2003/04 lol 

He is not a good coach and I expect him to not find another job (unless he goes into scouting)

• Like 3

2 hours ago, SweetFancyMoses said:

Cutting Jaylon Smith doesnt really make sense.  It's pretty much negligible cap savings next year.  

What happened to him wasn't he pretty good last season or the season before??

As for Mike Nolan the dude has pretty much failed everywhere lately I remember him being terrible years ago for Falcons as well and was fired I think that may have been his last stop before Dallas.

Edited by sryan66611

2 hours ago, jrry32 said:

I'm surprised Jim Tomfoolery is being cut loose. He has a history of being a phenomenal DL Coach. He should be in high demand.

He got the most out of Randy Gregory this year and had Aldon Smith looking like he was shot out of a gun for at least the first few games this year. Hes still a really good DL coach.

Mike Nolan was dead in the water midway through the season when there were reports of essentially an open rebellion by Cowboys defensive players. The funny thing is, even an average NFL fan could tell you players were regularly blowing assignments. Mike Nolan may not be a good DC, but the miserable Dallas defense is only partially his fault. Maybe he was completely unable to motivate and teach those guys, and it was mostly his fault? Who knows. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, RaidersAreOne said:

Is this why the D sucked so much or was losing players like Byron Jones huge? Did the actual playcalling stink too?

Sure would've liked to keep Jones, but making him the highest paid corner in the league at over 20mil/year for a guy who never gets an interception  No thanks.

17 minutes ago, sryan66611 said:

What happened to him wasn't he pretty good last season or the season before??

As for Mike Nolan the dude has pretty much failed everywhere lately I remember him being terrible years ago for Falcons as well and was fired I think that may have been his last stop before Dallas.

Jaylon doesnt stick to his gap assignment,  plays hero ball, this leaving big holes.  Kinda reminds me of our former safety Roy "biscuit" Williams.   Takes too many chances on the big play, and leaves himself out of position. 

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, minutemancl said:

He got the most out of Randy Gregory this year and had Aldon Smith looking like he was shot out of a gun for at least the first few games this year. Hes still a really good DL coach.

Mike Nolan was dead in the water midway through the season when there were reports of essentially an open rebellion by Cowboys defensive players. The funny thing is, even an average NFL fan could tell you players were regularly blowing assignments. Mike Nolan may not be a good DC, but the miserable Dallas defense is only partially his fault. Maybe he was completely unable to motivate and teach those guys, and it was mostly his fault? Who knows. 

He bears a good chunk of the blame, but McCarthy and the front office also are responsible.    At whatever point Nolan said 3-4, everyone should have said there's no offseason and we don't have the players.  Our best and highest paid defensive player is a 4-3 DE build around him 

11 minutes ago, minutemancl said:

It is surprising to see how much Aldon slowed down. Dude was dominant against the Rams.

4 minutes ago, SweetFancyMoses said:

Jaylon doesnt stick to his gap assignment,  plays hero ball, this leaving big holes.  Kinda reminds me of our former safety Roy "biscuit" Williams.   Takes too many chances on the big play, and leaves himself out of position. 

Has he always been that way? 

4 hours ago, Nabbs4u said:

Shhhhhhhh. Now go wash your mouth out with soap.  😎

I mean, he certainly has given up some power over the years. So I'm not one to say that everything is his fault. However, his constant meddling in affairs and need to be in the spotlight undermines any staff he puts in place and enables the players. Look no further than Jaylon Smith's comments and his constant need to celebrate after making inconsequential plays while getting burned consistently.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Shady Slim said:

tomsula is a really good DL coach, and who ever gets him off the scrap heap for that job will be laughing, as others have said above me. i kind of feel sorry for him that his years of being slept on with the WFT d line because they were always injured led him to dallas, and then the WFT DL finally manages to get healthy and prove to the world how good they are lol

I really liked Tomsula, and the work he did with Ioannidis and Settle as mid-round picks is pretty impressive.  But we have five first-round picks on the defensive line, if they weren't good there would be a huge problem.  

Tomsula was the only coach I felt that we needed to retain, and was disappointed that we didn't.  Instead, Rivera just hired most of his Carolina staff.  Some have proven themselves well, others have not.  Our only holdover coach at RB has done pretty damn good.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, D82 said:

I mean, he certainly has given up some power over the years. So I'm not one to say that everything is his fault. However, his constant meddling in affairs and need to be in the spotlight undermines any staff he puts in place and enables the players. Look no further than Jaylon Smith's comments and his constant need to celebrate after making inconsequential plays while getting burned consistently.

I love everything Jerry Jones, never chang never change. 🍺