Tom Brady's deep ball at 43!

JohnCena

I think it's just insane how good Brady has been with the deep ball this season at 43. We all knew when he joined the Bucs that BA would want him to push the ball downfield but I think we all expected there to be a lot less deep attempts in comparison to other years in BA's system, due to Brady's age. I mean last year in New England everyone was jumping on the train and calling him washed because finally he had an average season, however, I was adamant that the lack of success was due to the worst receiving core we have in New England. I mean just look at what Cam did this year, it's remarkable Brady even won 12 games last season! However, now there's this narrative that Brady wouldn't do better than 7-9 or 8-8 with this roster either... yeah right we'd be in the playoffs right now if Brady was our QB I don't care what anybody says but that's besides the point lol. It's incredible what he's been able to do with the deep ball this season #1 in air yards, and #2 in completed air yards on the season. 

This stat didn't surprise me but the fact that he had even more deep passing yards this season than he had in his infamous 2007 season at age 30 is just remarkable to me. We look at other older QBs like Big Ben, Phillip Rivers, Drew Brees, and even though those guys can still play in the NFL I would say for all of them there biggest flaw would be pushing the ball down the field, with there regressing arm strength. We've seen that be the Saints achilles for years now in the playoffs Brees' inability to push the ball down the field. We're seeing it with Big Ben now this season and we've been seeing it with Phillip Rivers for a while but now with him it's just pretty much everything as he's regressed the most out of all these guys. 

Brady is really just defying father time at this age I knew he'd be good but I didn't think he'd be able to throw the deep ball like this, even I've been surprised! 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, JohnCena said:

This stat didn't surprise me but the fact that he had even more deep passing yards this season than he had in his infamous 2007 season at age 37 is just remarkable to me.

He was 37 in 2007? That can't be right, that would make him 50 right now...

His 37 year old season would have been 2014.

His deep ball has been very impressive this season. His arm looks incredibly sharp. Many of us said in the off-season that his arm was totally fine if you actually watch games. Velocity was entirely still there. These people were either box score scouting or listening to the clueless media. Brady also had the worst cast in the NFL last year. An always banged up Edelmen, bunch of no names at WR/TE, horrendous RB unit, and middle of the pack OL. 

• Like 4

I’m sure you’ll get a lot of haters coming in here though if he has a bad game against Washington, the #1 Pass D in DVOA and #2 D in DVOA. I’m not expecting Brady to light up the scoreboard tonight. More of a running focused game with Ronald Jones. 

• Like 1

Eh. I mean, the volume stats are better than they've ever been because he's attempted more deep passes this year than he ever has. The consistency was iffy, though. He was hot, then cold, then hot, on the deep ball. It isn't like he was actually a better deep passer this year than he was in his prime. He's just in a very different offense than he ever has been.

You've shown us volume stats @JohnCena got ratings on the attempts? 

People are straight wrong when they say Tom doesn't have a deep ball or can't throw deep, but it's not his strongest option lets face it. Some balls are really strange down the field. He has a lot of yards downfield because of the game planning. The same game planning that's going to get Tampa eliminated. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ET80 said:

He was 37 in 2007? That can't be right, that would make him 50 right now...

His 37 year old season would have been 2014.

My bad loll it was early in the morning typo loll meant to write 30, could you possibly edit that lol?😂

Edited by JohnCena
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Jakuvious said:

Eh. I mean, the volume stats are better than they've ever been because he's attempted more deep passes this year than he ever has. The consistency was iffy, though. He was hot, then cold, then hot, on the deep ball. It isn't like he was actually a better deep passer this year than he was in his prime. He's just in a very different offense than he ever has been.

Yea, from what I watched, it looked more like Brady constantly taking deep shots that he maybe sometimes will connect on for big yardage than any special deep passing ability he has.

This from PFF sums it up for me;

"Brady’s 15 big-time throws and one turnover-worthy play in the past four weeks both also lead all quarterbacks, and Tampa Bay has fielded the most efficient passing attack in the NFL by a substantial margin. Granted, this has come against pass defenses that rank 24th, 27th and 32nd among all teams in expected points added allowed per pass play, but this stretch — and really the entire 2020 season, despite a so-so box score — just goes to show that Brady is still his normal, elite self."

Translation - the last 4 weeks against bad pass defenses he has thoroughly lit up A-Rod style, and they've been CLEAN as well (no danger of turnovers). 

My issue isn't with Tom (his arm hasn't declined one bit, box scorers) it's the offense situationally. They WILL find themselves down in games coming up. Do they go back to their thoroughly predictable selves (run 1st down, bomb 2nd down, oh look 3rd and long)? Or have they smartened up?

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Jlowe22 said:

Yea, from what I watched, it looked more like Brady constantly taking deep shots that he maybe sometimes will connect on for big yardage than any special deep passing ability he has.

Well, PFF had him as the top rated deep passer through the first two months of the season, and the final 4 games. It just so happens that the Bucs worst 4 games of the season were all on primetime, and have soured the public perception.

1 minute ago, ChazStandard said:

Well, PFF had him as the top rated deep passer through the first two months of the season, and the final 4 games. It just so happens that the Bucs worst 4 games of the season were all on primetime, and have soured the public perception.

Yes, to be fair I've watched more of their bad games.  But they have had quite a few of those.